Olympic class

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Olympic class

Post by Kratok »

This is my Olympic class model, finished as the USS Nobel NCC-55012.
Olympic (Nobel) 001.jpg
Olympic (Nobel) 001.jpg (44.24 KiB) Viewed 40 times
It is a Starcrafts 1:1400 kit, though I am pretty sure mine was a recast. Starcrafts turns out consistently excellent quality castings, but this model was horrible. It looked like someone had mixed the resin with a commercial paint shaker. Micro bubbles EVERYWHERE. I finally ended up puttying most of the kit, sanding it smooth, rescribing many of the lines, repunching a lot of the windows, and adding lifeboats back in with sheet syrene.
Olympic (Nobel) 002.jpg
Olympic (Nobel) 002.jpg (41.98 KiB) Viewed 40 times
Olympic (Nobel) 005.jpg
Olympic (Nobel) 005.jpg (52.05 KiB) Viewed 40 times
This is another of my older kits, so the colors and details (particularly by the landing bay) are a little off - there were really no references at the time, and I just went with what looked right to me. In the end, I was pretty happy with the results.
Olympic (Nobel) 008.jpg
Olympic (Nobel) 008.jpg (30.57 KiB) Viewed 40 times
Olympic (Nobel) 009.jpg
Olympic (Nobel) 009.jpg (29.4 KiB) Viewed 40 times
I missed out on TM Lindsey's 2500 scale version of this ship back when they were in production, and it has been one of my Grail kits ever since. Delta Quadrant has announced his intentions to produce one of these in 2500 scale, and I cannot wait for the chance to build her again.
Last edited by Kratok on Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gmeister
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Olympic class

Post by Gmeister »

I've got one of starcrafts but somewhere over time and house moves I've misplaced one of the nacelle / pylon assemblies. :cry:
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon »

STarcrafts Olympic was one of my very first resin models! Not many know this, but Dennis (Starcrafts) is really the guy that got me into modeling- I used to hit the local Trek cons that happened here in South Florida every six months or so and Dennis was always set up in the Model room with his impressive fleet of models built up and for kits sale- I mustve spent a few hundred bucks with him over the span of a year...and that Christmas season, the local Big Lots had a sale on the two 2500th scale model sets- for FIVE BUCKS EACH.
Naturally, I bought like four of each.

It's been 2500th scale ever since then, but a few random parts of dennis' old kits remain in my massive Parts Bins- a goodly chunk of the nose of the middle part of his Prometheus kit is the main hull for a 2500th scale scratchbash I hope to complete soon.

Did I mention what a fantastic guy Dennis is? He once showed me a Relativity kit he had "grown"- a concept that itself seemed like science fiction back then. It had come out in 2500th rather than 1400th scale and it was all I could do not to run away screaming down the hotel's corridors with it!
Huh. I wonder what happened to that master- he never did offer it as a kit!

I built up my 2500th sacle kits and scartchbuilt a few of the 'class of 94'" fleet and showed them to dennis at a show- he was super encouraging and directed me to Starshipmodeler.com and I went all kinds of crazy from there, eventually hanging out with another siuth Florida native, Rick Rayal, the evil genius behind Nova Hobbies and even more scartchbashes were made from there...but it was all Dennis that started me on the path to here.

Anyway, regarding the Olympic there, it's an amazing model- I have sadly seen a lot of dennis' older kits recast on ebay, but with some work and TLC it's still quite lovely.
GMeister, your missing parts might be nicely replaced with a 2500th scale Soverign nacelle pylons- it would look cool and woud serve as a kind of later production run upgrade.
Kratok

Post by Kratok »

Jason Abbadon wrote:Did I mention what a fantastic guy Dennis is?
Yep, Dennis is a true gentleman. His wife is also a lovely person. Haven't spoken with him in a few years, but he ALWAYS takes the time to chat, and make you feel like more than just a customer.

I think Real Life has really cut back on the time he can dedicate to the hobby. I hope things settle down and we start to see more of his offerings again at some point in the future. He is missed.
Gmeister wrote:GMeister, your missing parts might be nicely replaced with a 2500th scale Soverign nacelle pylons- it would look cool and woud serve as a kind of later production run upgrade.
That is intriguing. I would like to see that....
Jason Abbadon wrote:a goodly chunk of the nose of the middle part of his Prometheus kit is the main hull for a 2500th scale scratchbash I hope to complete soon.
That's really a strange coincidence. I picked up a copy of the Prometheus kit not long ago, with exactly the same idea (though I am targeting the lower section for the kitbash. Sounds like yours is much further along than mine, though. I may post some pics over in the 2500 forum at some point. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Gmeister wrote:I have sadly seen a lot of dennis' older kits recast on ebay,
I would never knowingly support a recaster, but I was modeling for quite a while before I heard that term. Been a long time, and I honestly don't remember where I purchased the Olympic. It wasn't through my normal sources. Again, I mention that it might have been a recast due to the disparity in molding quality, but had I known about recasts at the time, I would have purchased elsewhere.

Thanks for the comments.
caisson2delta
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by caisson2delta »

Looks like a nice clean build, considering all the work you had to do to it. Great job and I like your finish colors.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Very, very nice! The Olympic Class has been one of my favorite designs since its appearance in "All Good Things".

I would love to get my hands on a 1:2500 kit of this ship at some point.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

In case you don't know, Delta Quadrant / lakespeed, is currently working on an Olympic. I probably won't get one since I've got a TM Lindsey kit, but who knows. I'm sure it'll be sweet. 8-)
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
caisson2delta

Post by caisson2delta »

Lonewolf wrote:Very, very nice! The Olympic Class has been one of my favorite designs since its appearance in "All Good Things".

I would love to get my hands on a 1:2500 kit of this ship at some point.
Same here. I've become addicted to this scale, of late, but it seems like most of the more interesting designs are long gone or no longing being cast.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

I have been addicted to 2500 for several years, thanks to that despicable person known as Lakespeed. :P

I'd known Eric for a few years through Starship Modeler, and we'd hung out at WonderFest a couple times. Then he brought his 2500 collection with him one year, and I was stunned by the variety of ships that were available. And the size definitely appealed to me as well, mostly because I have a smaller house (1,200 square feet) and I can't build everything I want to have in 1:1000 or even 1:1400.

Right now I have 28 ships built in the Sacred Scale, and over 80 waiting to be built, not counting multiples of the old AMT/Ertl TOS-A-B-C-D-E sets. Adding those in puts the number well over 100 unbuilt kits.

Check out my website for more information. There are 117 different kits listed in 1:2500 Star Trek. Select Star Trek under Category, and 1/2500 under Subcategory.

https://www.sfmkd.com/index.php
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon »

Kratok wrote:
Jason Abbadon wrote:That's really a strange coincidence. I picked up a copy of the Prometheus kit not long ago, with exactly the same idea (though I am targeting the lower section for the kitbash. Sounds like yours is much further along than mine, though. I may post some pics over in the 2500 forum at some point. Would love to hear your thoughts.
COOL. Post a pic of your build-in-progress and I'll do the same.
Mine is, if you can picture this, the nose of the middle section, but only the outer edge- making it a "V" shaped winglike part. Attached to that on the top is part of the Soverign class brisge structure, fiting into the arrow do the bridge is at the point. Then I added a Futara Prometheus secondary hull and deflector so we have a literal arrow shape now- like the arrow in stoplights.
NOw I just need to clean it up with aves and add the two Voyager-ish,which attach under the "wings" and trail aft- resembling fuel tanks on fighter jets.

It's part of my "NX Fleet"- a bunch of "one off" builds that the ASDB ship builders make to test new technologies.
The Defiant was one of these oddball designs. 8-)

So is this:

I want the general detailing to match this ship...should be no problem. They have the same nacelles.

Return to “1/1400”