1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:30 pm

I seem to be doing alot short posts! Anyway, heres another short update - ya know; any progress is progress! :)

I did a quick dry fit and am excited that the build is so much closer to the end than the beginning! Also, it kinda helps to stay motivated to finish when you see so much progress. :)

Again, a dry fit of the secondary hull and the engine pylons. The trouble with photographs is they highlight all the tasks you have left to do. Remember, this is a work in progress. :) I have to smooth out the nacelles and use PPP on the pylons to try and hide the seams. I am hoping to not cover over the detail on the pylons; thinking of using playdo or something while I apply the PPP.

This shows a majority of the "off" windows a painted in with Tulip paint. This is a technique angryscifimodeler used on his and I thought I would try it here. The Tulip paint dries shiny so there is some perceived depth to the windows; rather than just a flat black!

The best technique for me was using a damp sponge to moisten the window first and then use a needle point paint brush dipped in the tulip paint and then applied to the window. So far, I am pleased with the results. Plus, the water clean up is good for the brushes and any mistakes I make - as long as the paint is still wet! :)

Anyway, my progress so far!

Thanks for Looking!

Steve

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:42 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Again, a dry fit of the secondary hull and the engine pylons. The trouble with photographs is they highlight all the tasks you have left to do. Remember, this is a work in progress. :) I have to smooth out the nacelles and use PPP on the pylons to try and hide the seams. I am hoping to not cover over the detail on the pylons; thinking of using playdo or something while I apply the PPP.
One thing I have done is to make a caulking gun with a medical syringe and a blunted 2mm needle. (Cut the angled point off it works better.) Precise application of your PPP.

You do either have to clean it after use or keep it in a glass of water.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:20 pm

Abso. Lutely. STUNNING.
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:54 pm

Looks wonderful, the muted blue really suits it.

MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:44 pm

Hey Fellow Modelers!

Thanks, guys, for the wonderful feedback and comments! Sometimes, this forum is all that keeps me going on the long builds! Thanks again! :) :)

Sorry about the long time between posts. I have been busy making headway on the build. I didn't post because I was only doing touch-ups and fixes and didn't want to bog down the thread with stuff you already know. (I post when I do stuff I don't know, then I do, and then am surprised that it actually works - which is about 90% of the time - and why I post so much! :lol: XD )

I did a dry fit and realized that I was much further along than I knew. When you make micro changes in touchups and details, you don't realized how far you've come.

Anyway, here are some pics of the dry fit (apologies for the fat fingers)! I still have a laundry list of things to do before I set the pieces together; i.e. windows, thin blues lines on the secondary hull, soldering the wiring harness together, etc. So, you will see there are are few missing details on the ship.

But overall, I am pretty happy with how it looks.

I was doing another light test and found I had some thin spots on the saucer. So, having a vial of black acrylic paint, I painted a layer of black until the leaks were covered (its difficult painting in the dark!). I repainted the base grey color this morning and happily found the leaks were no longer present. YEAY!

Here's a shot of the windows showing no more show throughs.

Here is a graphic I scanned and cleaned up that I am hoping to use for the base. It will be the biggest base project I have done to date. If you are interested, I can show you the crude sketch/plan I made of the base. Suffice it to say, I want to print this graphic on a tranparency, sandwich it between two sheets of plexiglass, make a wooden base with LED strips in it, and then place the model on top.

This is the plan however, Mrs. MSgtUSAFRet is gearing up for another summer of "honey-dos" so it may not happen as fast as I want it to. :D

Anyway, this is the update. I will get on the site and look at and comment on your on-going builds as soon as I can. (I can no longer access the site while at work; making it difficult to be on the site as much as before.) :(

Thanks for looking and I appreciate your comments and critiques!

Hailing Frequencies Open.

Steve

SKO
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SKO » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:46 pm

This is maybe my favorite interpretation of the Enterprise C paint scheme yet. Looks fantastic, Steve

MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:50 pm

SKO wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:46 pm
This is maybe my favorite interpretation of the Enterprise C paint scheme yet. Looks fantastic, Steve
WOW! Thanks SKO! Very much appreciated!

Steve

Halgebra_A6N
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Halgebra_A6N » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:53 pm

Agreed. The paint job was very well executed!

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:18 pm

So friggin' awesome, man! I love how this is coming out. And yes please, let's see your ideas for the base! I've thought about doing something similar before, but never had the chutzbah to do so.

Markus
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by Markus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:54 pm

Oh wow! The paint, the windows, the lighting, I like everything about this build!

Return to “1/1400”