Multi-Verse Models 1/1000 D-18

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Multi-Verse Models 1/1000 D-18

Post by Del » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:44 pm

It's been awhile since I did anything constructive here at AST since my mother had health problems during most of last year, but she's doing much better, and my attention can now be put back on kits. Thought I'd share my build of the 1/1000 D-18 that was originally sold by Delta Quadrant. I've got 20 kits sitting on the shelf, so once I complete my build here, I'll make them available to purchase on the website.

The 1/2500 version I painted up fairly simple, but wanted to make the 1/1000 build more detailed. I'll be using Tamiya XF-80 Royal Light Gray as the base with XF-25 Light Sea Grey as a secondary color. Will also use various metallics and black and white, and perhaps a little bit of a rusty red/brown color like XF-9 Hull Red or XF-68 NATO Brown as accent.

Here's what the kit includes, minus the decals which I'll post later after I finish the build. I might need to add, remove, or modify decals, so I don't want to confuse anyone right now.

Attached the center dorsal part and a wing to show how things go together.

For the 1/2500 build, I used the small bridge module, but for this one I wanted to use the large bridge. These are hollow and in two pieces so that the weight is reduced on the forward portion of the boom. Should help prevent warpage.

Here's the hull painted with the XF-80 base paint. It's only partially masked off here at the moment. These four rectangles are some of the areas where I'll be using the XF-25 darker colored gray as a secondary color.

Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Re: Multi-Verse Models 1/1000 D-18

Post by Del » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:33 am

That's enough for tonight. I'm sort of diggin' this color combo. ;)

Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Post by Kratok » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:31 am

Good to see you back, Del.

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:41 am

Kratok wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:31 am
Good to see you back, Del.
Thanks!! Good to be back. Thought part of my life was missing, and I guess it was. ;)

Gidiot
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Gidiot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:27 am

I second that! Welcome back!!!!! on a slightly related note... OH CRAP... I want one of the D-18's.... yeah yeah... I can print one off but I could have just purchased one?!?!?!

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Gidiot wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:27 am
I second that! Welcome back!!!!! on a slightly related note... OH CRAP... I want one of the D-18's.... yeah yeah... I can print one off but I could have just purchased one?!?!?!
Your printed D-18 has triangle hull panels that look more like those found on a K'Tinga, while this kit has more of the traditional look. So that means that you printed yourself a refit, ...yeah that's what it is, a refit. ;)

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:06 pm

A little bit of nacelle work. I still have a bit to go on details, and the other side as well, but I think it shows where I'm going with it.

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:02 am

Thought I'd take a break from the nacelles, and work on the boom. Masking was a pain, but worth the effort. I would usually use Parafilm for this, but I couldn't get it to form correctly so I gave up and used the old standby method of tape.

After painting the secondary color of Light Sea Grey XF-25 on the exposed areas, I masked down the center so that I could apply the accent color of Field Grey XF-65.

Although the gloss Future coat gives the appearance of needing a lot of touch up, it's mostly just reflections. Although there are a few boo-boos to take care with a toothpick or super fine brush. Field Grey has a slight hint of olive drab, and I think these three colors work well together.

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:33 pm

And here's where I'm at right now. Still trying to figure out what to do with the bridge head, and will probably paint triangle or trapezoid shapes. The neck was fun. I used .4mm tape between each square. Looks very nice in person and was worth the effort. Still more detail paint to do and then all of the windows. Working this kit with a tandem build of the old Ravenstar Hunter, so that way I can work on two kits at once with the same color palette. I'll post completed photos of the Hunter when I get it finished.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:31 am

Wow, that's cool!

Return to “1/1000”