[WIP] Phase II Enterprise

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
generalrose
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

[WIP] Phase II Enterprise

Post by generalrose » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:00 am

1/1000 Phase 2 Enterprise

I've recently picked up an Ender 3 (late november) and have finally collected and started printing my own models.

So everyone here has seen Shaw's excellent Phase 2 build. It's the gold standard and is going to be my guide in finishing the model.

So how did I determine the scale? With the TOS Enterprise sitting at 289m and the refit sitting at 305m I just played around with the models in MeshMixer to determine what would look "right". I ended up choosing a length of 300mm, putting the model somewhere in the middle of the two screen realized variants. They'll look nice together on a shelf (or so I hope)

Day 1: Most of the saucer printed.

Print Settings:
Esun PLA+ Grey
Height .2mm
Infill 20%
Nozzle 215°C
Bed 65°C
Supports = Yes, over 50°, but only touching buildplate

Well, everything printed fairly well except right in the middle of the saucer, just past the BC Decks Layer shift managed to rear its head and the model shifted maybe .5mm. That means I get to cut the model in half and reglue it with proper alignment.

Cutting the ship wasn't the worst thing ever. The infill ended up making for a great support system for some pegs I made out of spare sprue.

So here it Day 1. Finished. The first section is printed, cut, reglue and the first coat of putty is on it.

generalrose

Re: [WIP] Phase II Enterprise

Post by generalrose » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:09 am

Slowly but surely this ship is moving along. I should have used supports in the deflector assembly while printing my first main piece, because the deflector dish is gone. Whoops. After many failed prints, I have a new deflector dish. I ended up slicing the dish from its post and epoxying it to a nail. So hopefully that works or I'm going to have to get a new plan.

The rest of the neck and the first half of the secondary hull were the next to print. I don't have a ton of pictures during this stage. But here's a shot of the girl glued up and some more putty added.

generalrose

Post by generalrose » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:47 pm

Posting another update no asked for, I'm printing the next main assembly now. The remainder of the secondary hull, the struts and about 70% of the nacelles in one go. In 6 hours we'll know if this was the smart decision.

Once I finish this project I think I'll have to post my sliced, repaired and properly scaled STLs to thingiverse

generalrose

Post by generalrose » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:29 am

She's 99% glued up (That damned deflector dish).
I plan on buying some spray primer tomorrow as mine has wandered off and I can't be bothered to actually look for it. After that I have the paints I bought for my TOS E that I never actually finished building. Those should go nicely on this.

Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Shark » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:52 pm

Very cool! It's looks amazing in detail and shape, well done. I'll be watching your progress intently. :)

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:31 pm

Excellent! How's the project been coming -- are you in sanding phase now?

generalrose

Post by generalrose » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:22 am

novahobbies wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:31 pm
Excellent! How's the project been coming -- are you in sanding phase now?

I'm in the putty, sand, prime, sand, putty, sand, prime, putty loop.

At some point I'm going to have to give in and give it a proper base coat, but I still think I can manage one more round of putty and sanding before that.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:02 pm

I feel your pain. Just went through that phase with the Surya....have a number of printed models in the queue to do similar treatments. But that's the part that really makes the model, y'know?

generalrose

Post by generalrose » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:33 am

Taking a break from the unending need to sand. I've finished recreating Shaw's decals (taken from a lowres version he uploaded elsewhere) in illustrator. Here they are in their completely unscaled glory. It's going to take some trial and error with copy paper before I buy decal paper.

For the record, making this was super tedious and I don't envy anyone who has to design them completely from scratch. Shaw did most of the work. All I had to do was copy it.

generalrose

Post by generalrose » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:28 pm

Haven't had much to update on this. Life's been busy and I haven't had time to put in the effort this lady has deserved, but she's going to get the paint job she deserves eventually. She's probably on hold until the weekend of April 20 at this point though.

That said I have done a quick super weathered 1/1000 USS Franklin which will be getting its own post once I take some pictures.

Return to “1/1000”