Polar Lights 1/1000 Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 2 - BUILDING!

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Polar Lights 1/1000 Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 2 - BUILDING!

Post by MEATLOAFr » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:28 am

The Klingon Bird of Prey is super detailed, but in some area’s they still have wrong from the filming model, and missing detail that they did have on the bigger “1/350ish” model
A good paint wash after painting will make this model really stand out

But to the pictures:

The 2 main hull half’s have one of the clear parts sandwiched in-between – good for some people to light, but a little excessive in my opinion

The main front pod
I will need some putty to fill the gap – I’m, unsure why they chose to have the pod like this, the shape wouldn’t have been hard to do like the big kit

Side of the main hull
Missing the detail in the trench like the big kit – but might not have looked that well in this scale

Rear engine are of the hull
Still missing the details from the filming model, but it was also incorrect in the bigger scale version as well

Underside of the wing detail – see the peg, it’s flash
One big disappointment I have with my kit – the Klingon model has an overabundance of flash all over the place

Wing weapon tips
There’s a lot of flash on these as well, very hard to get some of it off – feels like it will break on me if I use to much pressure
I’m also not impressed with the way the tips connect; the tab seems to stick up to much for me – will have to sand it down after the glue dries

Wing hinge section
You glue the rear panel on – unfortunately there is only 1 set so you cannot make up both sets of these as swap them while displaying

Photon Tube
Here you can see the annoying amount of flash on tine parts – that part is less than an inch long and maybe 1/32nd of an inch in diameter and the plastic is soft

So far I like the Bird of Prey, but the level of flash on mine is really annoying and the softness of the plastic on some of the smaller parts makes it hard to clean up
One part I can’t get a decent picture of is the outer parts of the wing tip weapons – one has a stress mark from where it was knocked in the box and looks like it could easily snap off

Will try to get paint on the kit this weekend, as long as weather here stays good

LINKS

AST 1/1000 Oberth & Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 1 - Unboxing/First Impressions!
https://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5265

AST 1/1000 Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 2 - BUILDING!
https://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic. ... 984#p68984

AST 1/1000 Oberth REVIEW - PART 2 - BUILDING!
https://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic. ... 983#p68983
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
NOW PRINTING WHITE DECALS
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

MEATLOAFr

Re: AST 1/1000 Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 2 - BUILDING!

Post by MEATLOAFr » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:19 am

As I stated with the Oberth kit, weather has kept these updates delayed, but this kit is worth it.

A real paint guide really hurts this kit – the main details are great, but the CG photos and lack of color callouts just hurt so much for detail painting
I am just lucky I still have one of the old adversary kits laying in my paint box to work from (I do have the instruction for the 1/350ish version, but they are in storage and I can’t get to them) and I remember what colors I used when I made it all those years ago

So far for my colors I have used:
Camouflage green for the main hull
Green Zinc Comate for most details
Dark Greek for other details
Steel for wing hinges
Red for under side of the wings
Red & yellow for warp engine – with steel accents (this part follows the biggest cousin for its look – not the filming ships version)
And Gunmetal Grey for the weapons tips

The trench is missing the detail from the bigger cousin, but most likely not looked to well in this scale

The belly has the same details and the bigger one

I love the detail in the wing patterns

Wing pods

Wing “hinges” – doing mine in ‘cruise mode’

Upper side of the wings

Upper main hull and forward pod

I still have a few things to paint on this one, and hope to have it done soon, now that main color is on and small detail painting doesn’t stink up as bad as the spray paint does

There isn’t much for decals on this kit – unlike the Oberth kit’s Aztecing
So that is nice for some, but does mean a lot of painting for others

MEATLOAFr

Re: Polar Lights 1/1000 Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 2 - BUILDING!

Post by MEATLOAFr » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:52 am

Decals applied to my Bird of Prey:

Klingon font on the wings – a little too light on the ink IMHO, they look worse in real light, could have used a light background under the red as the edges get really dark and hard to see

Weapon tips emblem

The kit does have decals for the hinge’s, but in the flight configuration they would need to be trimmed – if they would have survived getting wet

Return to “1/1000”