USS Dominion, NCC-2115 - Federation-class Dreadnought *PIC HEAVY*

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: USS Dominion, NCC-2115 - Federation-class Dreadnought *PIC HEAVY*

Post by Griffworks » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:27 am

In the mean time, I was also working on the lower pylon set while the putty and glues on the primary and secondary hulls were curing.
Dominion028.JPG
Dominion029.JPG
Dominion030.JPG
Here you can see the flush vents I had used from the Refit kit. The added detail worked out better than I had hoped.
Dominion031.JPG
Dominion032.JPG
Not a perfect lineup, but I'm pretty happy with it, all the same. My main issue is the separation lines I added to the top and bottom that I scribed, just off the center connecting point. They're meant to represent when a nacelle might have to be jettisoned due to some catastrophic issue inside, but the other nacelle is still in good shape and might be able to get the ship to limp away at low-warp speeds.

Meh. This isn't being kitted, nor likely to ever be entered into a contest. It'll sorta bug me, but I think I'll live!

“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:38 am

Forgot to add more pics! Not that I think anyone is actually looking anymore....
Dominion040.JPG
Sub-assemblies, Assemble!

Dominion041.JPG
Dominion042.JPG
Dominion043.JPG
Dominion044.JPG
Trying out different bridges. This works better for me than trying to use my - limited - imagination. So, pics, then swipe back and forth. I ended up going with a scratchbuilt Dreadnought-type bridge. I actually built two - one was more of a DN bridge, the other had three docking ports - one each port and starboard, one on the aft area. And, of course, I even considered going to the TOS Dreadnought route and adding planetary sensors in place of a bridge.

Bridges003.JPG
Bridges004.JPG
Scratchbuilding is fun! I used two Round 2 Reliant bridges for this part. I first sliced the angled sides in such a way as to allow them to sort of push in. I then glued them in place, and sanded the bottoms flat. Next, I used a drill bit - couldn't tell you what diameter, sorry! I just used the old Mark I Eyeball - to drill the docking ports in each of the four side walls. I then backed those with some sheet stock. I added sheet stock to increase the length of the dreadnought-type bridge, then puttied and sanded for effect. For the aft dock-port, I glue a .030" sheet into place on the aft bulkhead, then drilled a hole in a .020" thick piece of sheet stock and glued that in place on the aft bulkhead. I then puttied where necessary, sanding and puttying as needed after that.

Bridges005.JPG
Bridges006.JPG
The two scratchbuilt bridges. I ended up going with the former of these two, as it's more like the dreadnought bridge that comes w/the Federation Models Heavy Destroyer conversion kit.

Bridges012.JPG
Here's a side-by-side with a FedMods DN bridge mounted to another model that's still in-works - the eventual USS Tesla - to sort of show the differences between the resin part and my scratchbuilt. I like my scratchbuild better, as it has a bit more length, thus more inner volume for a full briefing room for an admiral or other fleet CO to hold face-to-face meetings with his commanders.

More to come.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:56 am

After I finished up the bridges, I turned back to primering and look for the flaws that I knew I'd find. With that thinking in mind, I was dead on, thus not-disappointed/disappointed.
Dominion045.JPG
Lotsa flaws....
Dominion046.JPG
Dominion047.JPG
Dominion048.JPG
Gaaaah! Look at those seam lines! Worse than tan lines on a fat white guy (me!) on the beach first day of Summer! :o

Dominion049.JPG
Dominion050.JPG
Dominion051.JPG
Dominion052.JPG
Dominion053.JPG
Dominion054.JPG
Work also cotinued on the B/C deck, sanding and puttying and priming, and sanding and puttying and priming, etc...

Next up, the MEGA!phasers!

My Flickr Albums

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by kobayashimaru » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:58 am

I've been waiting to perve at the completed bussards. :oops:
I'm enjoying the behind-the-scenes though in this build-along-blog,
and, the completion of this dreadnought is a joy to watch.
the reaming for the 'surak-type' docking port is awesome.
the torpedo launchers are outstanding -

I look forward to seeing her in her true colors.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Oh yes, I am defiantly looking. I like the work you are doing here.

I get the point of the bigger bridge deck. I did that on my TOS Kongo. I personally don't see the point to multiple docking ports. Realistically how many shuttles are you going to have docked at once?

But your ship. Keep up the good work.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:34 am

kobayashimaru wrote:I've been waiting to perve at the completed bussards. :oops:
Haha! I get it. It’s Model Pr0n, after all!
I'm enjoying the behind-the-scenes though in this build-along-blog,
and, the completion of this dreadnought is a joy to watch.
the reaming for the 'surak-type' docking port is awesome.
the torpedo launchers are outstanding -
I look forward to seeing her in her true colors.
Thanks on all of that. I appreciate that. Those UGH! photorp tubes are DaBomb, aren’t they? And the addition of the dockports make it look tons better than just a flat bulkhead that you’ve gotta add a decal to. One of the reasons I switched from 1/2500 to 1/1000 was because you can have some nice physical detail, and you don’t have to use decals to represent it.
Tesral wrote:Oh yes, I am defiantly looking. I like the work you are doing here.
Thank’s. Im not trying to sound all Attention !!!!!!!!, tho it’s disapponting when you put in the effort at a forum like this to show your work and nobody comments. Say what you will about FaceBook - the ONLY time I ever had issues was when I played those third-party games on FB, once I stopped no more issues - but at least there people can sort of give feedback with a Like. I prefer giving and receiving “written” feedback, tho, so that you actually get some interaction. Even tho it’s minimal and barely feedback, at least you know someone sort of appreciated what they saw.
I get the point of the bigger bridge deck. I did that on my TOS Kongo. I personally don't see the point to multiple docking ports. Realistically how many shuttles are you going to have docked at once?
As many as you have dockports? :D

Seriously, tho, the idea of the dockports is for multiple ship CO’s to meet with a Fleet CO in a face-to-face setting. This would be prior to any battle maneuvers, of course. It’s also more convenient than having to have multiple shuttles cycle thru the different ships shuttle bays, thus crowding landing decks, etc... or even using transporters. Both of those strain both equipment and personnel unnecessarily.

Instead, let’s say your task force or Fleet consists of roughly 8 ships, with one being the command ship with a dual - or even two - dockport bridge. Two - or three - ships send out dockport shuttles that have their captain on board. Each of those shuttles dock at the bridges of other ships, which allows the captain to maximize their time by NOT having to take a turbolift to the nearest dockport (likely having to walk a couple dozen or so meters), and then the shuttles dock at the Fleet CO’s ship. Especially since big wigs like to summon their subordinates to talk in person instead of via comms - which could conceivably be decrypted.
But your ship. Keep up the good work.
Thanks, I shall have fun. Dunno about “good” work, tho. :)

My Flickr Albums

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Whoops! I let another thread go un-updated. My apologies!

As work went on with this build, as with all builds, I got a little frustrated and ended up setting it aside for a couple days to a week. Eventually, I got back to it, tho, as I tend to do with most of my builds. First was to get the secondary hull lookin' More Gooder, which took some more sanding, puttying, sanding....

Eventually, I got it to where I was mostly happy with it. We are our own worst critics, after all, so it took me a bit to get to a point where I could live with the work I'd done.
Dominion057.JPG
Both of these "necks" are from the Heavy Destroyer conversion kit available from Federation Models. The kit is meant to have one single nacelle below the "neck", with one above the "neck and attaching to the upper rear area. Note that the single "neck" riding on the back of Dominion's secondary hull has a phaser emplacement similar to that of the Belknap-class. I'm figuring that I got sent a connecting dorsal from a Fire Support Destroyer kit, which I've never ordered before.

But it's all good. I just found it kind of interesting.
Dominion058.JPG
Dominion059.JPG
Dominion060.JPG
Dominion061.JPG
Somebody's gonna have a really bad day, they make Dominion have to fire her "guns" in anger.
Dominion062.JPG
Dominion063.JPG
And now I'm MOSTLY happy with the overall look.
Dominion064.JPG
An attempt to compare the B/C deck area on Dominion to that of a standard Refit-style B/C deck on Ascension.

More to come.

My Flickr Albums

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:27 pm

Now, with a bridge and ready for her shake down cruise!
Dominion066.JPG
This is one that I modified from the standard Refit bridge, giving it two docking ports. It's similar to the Dreadnought style bridge that comes with the Heavy Destroyer conversion kit, but just a bit larger. I extended it aft mostly adding a bit of sheet stock to the very end, then sanding to shape. This image was taken just prior to my shaping the part to extend it aft ward.
Dominion067.JPG
Dominion068.JPG
Dominion069.JPG
Dominion070.JPG
Dominion071.JPG
You can see the full size of the bridge here.
Dominion072.JPG
Dominion073.JPG
Baby got back!

More to come, as always.

My Flickr Albums

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by kobayashimaru » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:23 am

hehe,
wow, that is one fun ship.
Reminds me of that level in "StarFleet Academy", where there's an ambush
with 3 K.BOP's and 4 Orions, vs one of these :lol:

Max Nex
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Max Nex » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:57 am

...been following your progress for a while.
you are doing a pretty good job on this , I think most of your problems are in the modifications from the base class.
and perhaps it should be said that any work on this is good, 1,000 times better than no work on it at all :thumbsup:
nice work on Ascension as well , another class that I am fond of

Return to “1/1000”