AMT/Ertl Enterprise B Build

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: AMT/Ertl Enterprise B Build

Post by arcticfox » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:01 am

So I wanted to take a break from the decals and decided to try something new - OSL (Object Source Lighting) to do the navigational deflector.

First, I airbrushed a coat of Vallejo Model Air Engine Grey 71.048 into the recess for the deflector.

Next, some thinned Vallejo Sky Grey 70.989 in a smaller area, where the glow would mainly be.

Then, lightened the glow area up with Vallejo Model Air White 71.001

Finally, Vallejo Game Air Electric Blue 72.723... Which I forgot to take a picture of... Because I'm a bonehead.

So then I painted the rim of the deflector with Vallejo Dark Grey 70.994

And finally, hit the center of the dish with Vallejo Model Air White 71.001

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:12 pm

Wow! :jawdrop: That last photo really sells it. I'm eager to see the finished build and how this looks then.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Thanks! This is my first ever attempt at OSL and I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with how the dish itself works, so I may tinker with that a bit more.

Meanwhile, I decided it's time to make a decision on the decal situation. Looking at the two options for decals I have in front of me, the Acreation Models decals are the right color, but the strips are too thick. The PNT Models strips are the right width but the wrong color.

I did some measurements, using the PNT decals for size. The strips themselves at 1/1000 scale are 1mm or 1/32" wide, and the spaces between them are 2mm or 1/16" wide.

So... since I have no decal options I'm happy with, we're just gonna have to paint it. First, I ordered some 2mm wide masking tape for curves from Amazon.

I intend to mask off the gray hull and airbrush the paint on. The question is: What color? The accents on Enterprise are teal, and I want them to look like they're in the darkness. Soooooo... Happily, I have a color wheel a friend of mine gave me as a gift. With that, and an image of Enterprise leaving spacedock, I can match it up to the color I'll need for it to look right.

A nice blue green. I may darken it just a tad, but I think we have a winner. As soon as the masking tape arrives, I'll get on the masking.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:50 pm

Ok, so apparently I'm a masochist. I got the 2mm masking tape and some regular masking tape... I masked off one stripe, and then decided to do a color test by painting one of the "triangular" shapes on the bottom of the secondary hull, using Vallejo Blue Green 70.808.

Well, the contrast is a bit higher than I had in mind, but I can go over it later with a glaze to lower that a bit.

I then masked off some of the pattern at the ventral aft section of the secondary hull, and also painted the first saucer stripe.

The color is the one I had in mind, but again, high contrast. There are some spots where the paint bled under the mask but I can fix that later with a brush.

Masked off each of the remaining two stripes on the saucer, and here's the result:

Ok, so the lines aren't perfectly straight... but honestly this is a better result than I expected. I'll try to fix some of the more glaring issues with a brush, and add windows later.

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:28 am

Good effort on those pinstripes, I think I'd probably try using a colored Sharpie.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:29 pm

Years and years ago I did the same thing on my B with painting the rim stripes. It was an old kit and did not come with much in the way of decals; just the registry and insignias. And there weren't any aftermarket decals I could find either, this was before the internet. So i did the masking and painting routine using regular Tamiya tape (curved masking tape wasn't around then). I literally spent hours to get them right but was pretty pleased with how they turned out especially since I had the added complication of carving shallow slots and holes for the window ports before painting them a light blue for the lit ones and black for unlit ones. I used light blue to contrast with the white of the hull. Man I would have killed for some decals back then, only, I wouldn't have wanted all the windows to be dark like they are on your decal sheet...
enterprise-b-saucer-detail_13956395882_o.jpg
enterprise-b-saucer-detail_13956395882_o.jpg (31.38 KiB) Viewed 365 times
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:01 pm

ProfArturo wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:28 am
Good effort on those pinstripes, I think I'd probably try using a colored Sharpie.
Thanks!

Yeah if there's a sharpie that's just the right shade to match that might be an option, though I'd still want to create some kind of hide to keep the lines straight. Making a single line look good freehand is hard enough, doing parallel lines... that's superhuman! :)
trekriffic wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:29 pm
Man I would have killed for some decals back then, only, I wouldn't have wanted all the windows to be dark like they are on your decal sheet...
Looks great!

I definitely won't be using any of the windows on the sheets. Since I want the ship to look like it's in the dark of space, the windows have to be lit.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:36 am

Ok so.... secondary hull prettymuch done.

Got the decals from the Star Fleet Alternatives set for the most part, but I used the UFP Pennant on the sides of the hull from the T-Graphics set because it looked more like the actual model in Generations. Painted the inside of the giant shuttlebay (?) with Vallejo Game Air Dead White 72.701, then Vallejo Game Air Electric Blue 72.723 and finally brushed some details with Vallejo Model Air Blue 71.004.

Used white for the windows and Vallejo Model Color Dark Grey 70.994 and Vallejo Model Color Blue Green 70.808 for the hull details.

I had wanted to do more details on the giant cargo bay, maybe even with an aftermarket part. Same with the structures on the very back of the secondary hull, but those parts were already assembled when I got the model so I had to just do what I could.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Sun May 12, 2019 1:03 am

Wish that I could see the pics.... :(
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

Return to “1/1000”