AMT/Ertl Enterprise B Build

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: AMT/Ertl Enterprise B Build

Post by Griffworks » Sat May 26, 2018 9:36 pm

Any updates?
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Sorry guys, life got in the way there...

Soooo I primed the model using Vallejo Surface Primer, USN Light Ghost Grey FS36375. (using a 20/5 ratio of primer to airbrush thinner).

The gaps are... significant.

The deflector recess is just awful.

The shuttle bay isn't too bad...

And the starboard outboard impulse engine is actually okay, but I may as well smooth it a bit more.

I also test fitted the warp nacelle pylons to the nacelles... and that's a horrible fit. This is gonna take some work.
Last edited by arcticfox on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by MEATLOAFr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:28 pm

Yeah, the kit does have some fit issues- sanding and putty are needed I quite a few places
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
NOW PRINTING WHITE DECALS
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:31 am

MEATLOAFr wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:28 pm
Yeah, the kit does have some fit issues- sanding and putty are needed I quite a few places
Nearly all the places.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Last night I did a little sanding at the points where the warp pylons attach to the nacelles, and glued them together so I could fill the gams and sand the whole thing down. Actually, the sanding helped a lot and the joint looks a lot better. Still needs work, but it's not as bad as it was.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:14 am

The aftermarket decals I ordered from Star Fleet alternatives arrived today. So now I have 3 sets of the ship name and registry, but I needed these for the red pinstriping and blue bands around the primary hull.

They're not as teal as I was expecting, but that may be to my advantage, since I like a darker share to the hulls of my ships. The downside is that the windows are all black, so I may have to paint white dots over many of them.

Also, kudos to these guys. One of the large hull graphics decals for the top of the secondary hull didn't print right, but they included an extra copy of that particular decal (just visible on the right side of the image.) I really appreciate that.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:59 pm

So now that I'm swimming in decal sheets, I had some decisions to make.

At first, my thinking was to paint the hull a medium gray, add the blue decals from Star Fleet Alternatives, then darken everything to reduce the contrast with the bluegray wash I used on my Enterprise-D build.

So I painted the ship with Vallejo Game Extra Opaque Heavy Bluegray 72.144.

You can see how much darker it is than the primer coat. I was just about to start cutting out the Star Fleet blue decals and then I thought about it... The shade was darker than I originally intended, but did look screen accurate in certain lighting conditions. (Annoyingly, we never see the ship in just the darkness of space. There's always the Earth or the Nexus ribbon in the background, except for one brief moment when we see it at warp. And yes, I know about the Lakota in DS9 but that's lit like a TV show and it's bright white.) So I decided I was okay with the shade of gray as is.

Enterprise-B's accents are teal, not blue, which means those Star Fleet sheets are just not accurate. I watched the prologue of Star Trek Generations a half dozen times and it just looks teal no matter what the lighting conditions. So... since I still had those Acreation Models sheets, and all the teal accents are still on it, I had the choice.

My fear was that the decals would wind up being brighter than the hull around them. The accents should be darker than the hull color, not lighter. But if they were translucent enough, they just might work. I mean, heck, I was about to throw the sheets away anyhow, and the worst that could happen if I gave them a try was I'd have to remove them. It'd be a hassle, but not a dealbreaker.

So I put one on the bottom of the secondary hull. I used Vallejo Decal Fix to hold it in place and Vallejo Model Medium to get it to match the contours of the hull details, then sealed it all up with Citadel Purity Seal matte clearcoat. Here's the result:

The Acreation decals are VERY translucent and darkened right up when applied to the dark hull. There isn't as much contrast as I was hoping for, but after watching the prologue yet again, I felt that the contrast was just about right in the rare case when the ship's hull isn't lit brightly. So I think I'm going to go ahead and apply the rest of the teal Acreation decals before I make a final decision.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:47 am

Well the verdict is...

No.

Those decals were just awful to apply. Super thin, delicate, and hard to work with. Then there's that whitish patch on the stripe on the port behind the bridge. I'm not completely sure what caused it, but I think it was that the decal medium and/or decal fix under it wasn't 100% dry when I hit it with the clearcoat. (Yes, I did let it dry overnight... but I dunno.)

So I think I'm going to abandon the remainder of the teal decals and do it with brush work. The problem now is... those stripes along the saucer. I have a couple ideas for maybe masking them off and using the airbrush.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Anyone that can get a decent result out of this dog of a model has my respect. It and the Excelsior are the worst of the 1/1000 crew for fit and finish. We will not even talk about accuracy.

Someone at ATM hated the Excelsior. The 1/2500 version is worse for fit and finish. Worst of the 1/2500 crew. One has to wonder.
AMT-Desigh.png
AMT-Desigh.png (61.71 KiB) Viewed 326 times
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:28 pm

Tesral wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:43 pm
Anyone that can get a decent result out of this dog of a model has my respect.

At this point my expectations of Ertl models is so low when it comes to Star Trek...

Return to “1/1000”