Polar Lights 1/1000 TOS Enterprise "Pre-deco" Preview

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Polar Lights 1/1000 TOS Enterprise "Pre-deco" Preview

Post by Moongrim » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:22 am

This finally showed up today on my doorstep.

All things considered I can see the allure of the kit, not only for a beginner, but also for us older, crankier, modelers.

I have to admit- putting together a Round 2 1/1000 kit was a bit of a challenge for me the first time after a hiatus of several years. I jumped right in and ended up with a...passable version of the original Enterprise.

This on the other hand, I can predict as being a best option for the beginner. As the young one will have the opportunity for making a nice looking ship with relative ease. And thus it will be a stepping stone for the more challenging kits.

The front view of the Pre-Decorated Assembly kit- 1/1000.
As brought to (me)/you for Ages 8 & up, from Polar Lights/Round 2.
All Parts are pre-decorated and assembles in minutes.

The back view of the Pre-Decorated Assembly kit- 1/1000.

And apparently they're planning on doing a Klingon D-7 eventually as well. This looks promising.

I'll be doing more on this soon.
Last edited by Moongrim on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Round 2 Pre-decorated assembly kit. Kit Review.

Post by Drop_Bear » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:07 am

Hmm... yes, this would be a great way to introduce people to the joys and headaches of building scale models.

I remember my first model kit... a 1:72 UH-1 Huey that I built back in high school. I say built, but it was more like "hurriedly shove together with a ridiculous amount of glue". Like everyone, I suppose, I didn't want to mess around with paint at that stage so I just slapped some decals on after assembly and called the job done. I think I may have had the sense to use a clear coat, though. I still have my Huey; I found her in a box full of old crap a while ago and decided to put her on display at my workbench.

Now, if I had a nice prepainted Enterprise like this one when I was in high school I might have gotten into this hobby seven years ago, instead of last year.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by holt35 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:38 pm

How are the seems on the kit?

cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by cannon fodder » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:28 am

Yeah open that baby up.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:46 am

it's a shame folks don't seem to be interested in these as a gaming scale at the moment
- these are pretty awesome for angling and all - it's as though when the product was being made,
they had that in mind, because a telescoping pointer/antenna sits nicely in the base they provide :D

Thanks for these excellent reviews, Moongrim :D

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:51 am

This looks like a cool beginners kit. Are they avoiding the language "Pre-Painted?" I know there some people who look down on pre-painted stuff in the wargaming world (they can be elitists and not fun to play with). I wonder if the same kind of uneasiness goes for the modelers this is aimed at, hence the "pre-decorated" language.

Kobayashi- I was thinking about picking up some of the 2500 scale "pre-decorated" kits to use for Firestorm Armada. Those are much more appropriate gaming scale. Of course it gets a little crazy once bigger ships like the Galaxy class get involved. I may stick to the movie era if I do this.

Moongrim

Post by Moongrim » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:53 am

The kit in it's entirety. Opened up and on display. The top of Primary Hull and one warp engine partially put together, the secondary hull partially completed.
Everything is well padded to prevent any chipping or scratching of the fine finish.

What you get- the same U.S.S. Enterprise 1701 (POL803)- but with a trade off.
Pluses: Nothing to sand down (like the registration markings on the underside of the primary hull) All Decals are Pre-'applied', and all coloration has been done mighty finely. :D
Negatives: Only for us more 'experienced' types- no extra decals for later use on other projects, no extra parts for use on garage kit conversion kits, and it's strictly a Production Series Starship (no first or second pilot version options) :cry:

The Primary Hull with the kit instructions- the numbering system for the parts/instructions are the same as used on the original kit. I'm afraid that this is the closest my camera would allow me to take pics. One nice new adaptation- pre colored parts (32)- the Red/Port, Green/Starboard indicator lights on the Primary Hull. The instructions don't mention which goes where- (and it's a 50/50 chance of getting them wrong upon installation the first time)(which I did in my first time kit).

Everything popped in with a minimum of resistance. Glue is not needed. But I still used a wee bit to insure that the hull seams met all around the rim. The Impulse Spine fit rather snugly. And the Impulse engine mount- slipped in with no cussing on my part. The impulse engine ports- have the casting seam running underneath them.

And as you can see, everything comes together rather well. All of the 'decals' are pre-placed and in the appropriate spots. Which will go a long ways as acting as a Template/Guide for the more advanced POL803 kits.
Last edited by Moongrim on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:18 am

Are they decals or are they paint applications?

Moongrim

Post by Moongrim » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:19 am

Steam235 wrote:Are they decals or are they paint applications?
Paint applications.
- J.L.Picard.

Moongrim

Post by Moongrim » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:20 am

And here we are with the warp engine section. As before everything is pre-painted including the inside of the Bussard Collector domes. The intercoolers apparently only needed a couple of dabs as opposed to my initial understanding of the entire intercooler. Part #26 domes on the aft end of the warp engines- once again they state you don't need glue- but I recommend using just a dab to keep them in.

The Warp Engine complete- but I had to sand down the focusing coil parts of the engine (underneath the three prongs of the bussard collector clear dome part) to get the dome to fit properly (just like the original kit). Otherwise the dome will end up slightly askew but still noticeable. But such is easily remedied in just a couple of minutes with a file (shown).

I also had to widen out the pylon port to accommodate a proper fit for the pylon tab into the engine/mount (once again- just like the original kit).

But I have to commend the painting- it's of a high quality application. I simply don't have it in my old shaky hands to paint that clear concise of an edge anywhere on a kit. And the inner parts of the warp engine underneath the intercooler- fantastic in the detail.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “1/1000”