My first Ever Starship Aprils Enterprise

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: My first Ever Starship Aprils Enterprise

Post by Steam235 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:16 am

First I love the planetary sensor. Now please tell us about the hull color. Looks like a chrome or aluminum?

pengbuzz
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by pengbuzz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:16 am

I agree about the hull color: chrome or aluminum? Maybe a platinum?

I'm really liking the shuttlebay: very different than what we've seen on Connie classes before. An intriguing design for it. I also like the planetary sensor and the nav deflector.

Kinda luke-warm about the saucer impulse drive though; it looks well-done but not really my thing. It is nicely faired-in and finished though.

Overall, an impressive job!

Rigel
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Rigel » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks guys for the comments. This was built around 3 years back and I can't remember the hull colour, I know it was an acrylic silver from a Humbrol rattle can if that helps (cant be many options in the range). The planetary sensor is made using the production version deflector dish with one of the main hull running lights protruding through it. I am glad you like the feature, l think it's the best bit. The deflector dish itself is from the Baton Rouge kit and the deflector housing and secondary hull got some some alteration with plasti-card to get the look I wanted. I must say I'm surprised by the interest this ship has created, I only posted it as an after thought. :)

DouglasGlenn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by DouglasGlenn » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:28 am

I really like this retro take on the Enterprise. The changes are believable as pre-TOS. Is there influence from Sternbach's Spaceship Chronology?

FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Location: Bargersville, Indiana, USA, NA, Sol III, Terran System

Post by FatherRob » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:50 pm

I find this to be a very interesting concept. I like the silvered ship, as it hearkens back to 50's era spaceships... fitting, in a way. Also, the forward housing on the deflector/sensor dish has that 50's feeling too. While I visually like the interest of the cutaway hangar on the secondary hull, I puzzles me why (in universe) they'd add the latter portion of the deck and a clamshell door later on. That being said, it looks spot on like what I would expect to see in the 50's.

As for the markings, I recognize the decals (I am using the same sheet for my current builds) and find them to be good, if somewhat non-canonical, choices. I think in particular the pinstriping on the nacelles and secondary hull lend to the 50's era look I mentioned before.

I also noticed that some of the details were simplified. For example, the three tabs on the underside of the nacelles seem to be gone. Again, the streamlining feels right for the era. I could see this ship in a black and white serial in the late 1950's.

All in all, a great job... but let me empahsize, the color and pinstriping make me think 50's, but it is really the superb alteration of the deflector dish housing that really sells this as a prequel to the Pike version of the ship.

I thought about complaining about the lack of spikes on the nacelles, but again, I think it would kill the 50's ethic.

Anyway, I don't know if that is what you were going for... but that is what I feel you accomplished, and I salute you for it!

Rob+

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:11 am

FatherRob wrote:While I visually like the interest of the cutaway hangar on the secondary hull, I puzzles me why (in universe) they'd add the latter portion of the deck and a clamshell door later on. That being said, it looks spot on like what I would expect to see in the 50's.

Rob+

I imagine that in April's. Time they may not have been able to decompress the bay and repressurize as easily. A shuttle might moor and the pilot might bored through the air lock

Rigel
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Rigel » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for all the comment, I really didn't expect this build to create so much interest. As for the fifties feel, well why not, TOS was made in the 60's, and I just thought how would the enterprise have looked if series was actually filmed 10 years earlier.

FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FatherRob » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:39 pm

Rigel,

I have to admit that, all the way home in the car yesterday, I found myself doing my impression of voice work on a 50's version of Star Trek set on the Star Cruiser Yorktown with Captain April in command. I imagined your model being filmed in front of a black poster board with glitter as a starfield, over a beachball as an alien planet, and between a V formed by two rolling black backgrounds which had glitter as stars.

The Transporter effect was an animated beam of sorts that instantly dissolved and left the heroes in their places on a planet. They had hyperdrive, terms like 'address intracraft' were used, and the time warp factor was definately around 7.

I got to thinking, it might be a fun fan film to make a 50's Trek...

All that fun, from your little ole model.

BTW - on a more modeling note, how did you adapt the 'tabs' on the sides of the deflector housing to have that 50's look?

Rob+

Rigel
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Rigel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi FarherRob I added a ring of plasti-card around the deflector housing, and shaped the handles from two plastic spoons I found in the works canteen to make the side details. It was all tidied up with some filler to finish. I don't know if you clocked the detail in the inside trench on the nacelles? Its the handle from a plastic coffee stirrer.

FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FatherRob » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Rigel wrote: I don't know if you clocked the detail in the inside trench on the nacelles? Its the handle from a plastic coffee stirrer.
Actually, funny you mentioned it... I was admiring the model again today, and was looking at the nacelles closely. I got to wondering what you had used.

I am actually thinking of trying to do something similar to this in a future build, if I can find a PL 1:1000 cheap. The monotone main paint job would make it a breeze to paint, assuming I got a good finish in areas I had to putty and sand. The only complex paint work would be around the deflector array. No need for super-detailed anything - it would kill the 50's vibe.

I also like the way that the lit windows pop on this model. They feel very real, in a way that white on gray usually doesn't.

Rob+

Return to “1/1000”