Gizmotron Belknap Conversion

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Gizmotron Belknap Conversion

Post by Lonewolf » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:40 pm

This is an excellent conversion kit for the 1:1000 PL Enterprise, and I picked it up at WonderFest in 2006. The kit included an all-new secondary hull, navigational deflector, two warp nacelle pylons, and a full sheet of markings, including very subtle Aztec markings for the tops of the warp nacelles (faintly visible in the first two photos below). The navigational deflector is cast as a separate piece, and helps to bridge the gap between TOS and TMP by going with the more-modern TMP style.

This is another kit that I have to get around to doing an updated photo shoot for.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!

Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Gizmotron Belknap Conversion

Post by Shark » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Pretty cool looking ship, how was the fit between the saucer and the secondary hull? Like the name by the way ;)

Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:52 am

There was no fit issue whatsoever. The only fit "problem" was on the port nacelle pylon, which wanted to cant outboard further than the starboard one did. A bit of careful sanding took care of that issue in short order. And I did have to widen the slot on the underside of the secondary hull to accept the flange on the bottom of the navigational deflector. The deflector is kinda "L" shaped, with the short arm of the "L" being the face of the deflector, and the long arm fitting into a corresponding slot on the underside of the hull.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:45 am

Great work, Rich. I think she turned out looking nice and clean.

There's something about the design of this kit that sorta bugs me. Not sure what it is - and it has nothing to do with your build.

BTW, this is actually the Decatur concept/prototype design, not the "finished" version of the Belknap.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:18 am

Griffworks wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:45 am
Great work, Rich. I think she turned out looking nice and clean.

There's something about the design of this kit that sorta bugs me. Not sure what it is - and it has nothing to do with your build.
Definitely a nice build, but I reckon it's the pylons connecting too low on the hull which seems 'wrong'.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:10 am

ProfArturo wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:18 am
Definitely a nice build, but I reckon it's the pylons connecting too low on the hull which seems 'wrong'.
Well, yes and no. "Yes" the pylons are low on the secondary hull - but that's how they're designed. I think what's wrong is that they secondary hull is too round, compared to the original concept. As conceived, the secondary hull should be a bit "bulkier" in girth, as in the top of the three drawings below.
IMG_9353.JPG
At least, I think that's what the issue is. I like the build as it's not at all a bad design. It's just not the way it should be for the concept, if only to my eyes.

I intend to eventually build the Decatur in her operational configuration by using the primary hull from a TOS kit, with some minor modifications. I'm not sure how to best modify the secondary hull, tho I'll pull out the poster and follow it.
IMG_9340.JPG
It'll be both fun and challenging! :D
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

Return to “1/1000”