USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-B - My version, anyhow....

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-B - My version, anyhow....

Post by Griffworks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Continuing with the impulse engine mods I made to my Enterprise-B....

I then started building a rough "frame" for the vent area.
EntB-080.JPG
EntB-081.JPG
EntB-082.JPG
I had a gap area directly underneath the new impulse vents that looked wrong, so I started filing with putty, sanding, putty, sand, putty....

EntB-084.JPG
Eventually, I realized that I had an uneven/unbalanced area. The port impulse vent extends down about 3mm lower than the starboard side. So, I got some more sheet stock, cut to shape, and added it in an attempt to fix that issue that I created. :(

EntB-093.JPG
I kinda fixed it. I also had to do some additional framing, as I realized that I had an uneven aft surface for each of the vents. You can also see where I added the V-groove. It doesn't show as well with everything being white, tho you can kinda/sorta see how the putty brings out the grooves.

Obligatory album link on Flickr.

More to arrive at a later time.

“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:43 pm

The continuing saga of the impulse engines!

I puttied and sanded, sanded and puttied, primed, sanded... It started wearing me down.
EntB-097.JPG
This sorta gives you a profile view of the impulse engines, with the primary hull mounted to the secondary hull.

EntB-099.JPG
Full on look at the impulse vents. I'm disappointed in how they turned out, tho they look alright from a bit of a distance....

EntB-098.JPG
A little....

"Doesn't look so bad from out here."

Stepping back a bit, I just realize I don't think I talked about framing in that gaping ugly part to the forward outer hull for the secondary hull upper shuttle bay. I framed it in using some Evergreen strip stock (I forget the width and thickness), which I later puttied to hide seams, then sanded.

EntB-057.JPG
I had realized well before this point that I had gotten the whole thing cut at an ever-so-slight angle, but thought that I had corrected it with some careful, took-a-long-frikkin'-time! sanding. Obviously, not. :roll:

EntB-119.JPG
And the end result. Taken just about three minutes before adding this pic to the main album. Let's agree to never speak of this again. :banghead:

And speaking of: Obligatory album link.

More, later.

“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:42 am

The worst thing about anything creative is you're your own worst critic, and will always see flaws no one else will.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:53 am

ProfArturo wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:42 am
The worst thing about anything creative is you're your own worst critic, and will always see flaws no one else will.
True dat.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “1/1000”