El Gato's entry: TOS Constellation Class - DONE!

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: El Gato's entry: TOS Constellation Class

Post by MEATLOAFr »

If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

Looking good Gato 8-)
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Thank you for the kind comments gents! Some new update pics. Although I'm not done, I included these so you can see some of the detail on the body a little better. Disclaimer: I used filler primer on this; that'll explain the "fleks" you'll see in these pics. This is because the acrylic material sands smooths on the top & bottom sides, but it's way too porous on the edges. You can see in some pics that my green filler material didn't do the job, so I'm going this route. It will mean a few primer-sand-repeat sessions:
2016-08-06 22.03.45.jpg
2016-08-06 22.04.51.jpg
2016-08-06 22.05.43.jpg
A shot of the dual impulse engines, just because:
2016-08-06 22.06.38.jpg
A beauty shot with the E:
2016-08-06 22.07.35.jpg
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
handofmanos
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by handofmanos »

This absolutely looks beautiful and detailed for such a small model. Looking forward to seeing more
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

That juxtapose between the TOS Constellation and the Enterprise really brings out it's quality. And gives me a reappraisal of the original TNG episode showing of the Stargazer.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by shiftdel »

Interesting to see it closer to the Connie, I never noticed how big the Constellation is until see your pic...
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

shiftdel wrote:Interesting to see it closer to the Connie, I never noticed how big the Constellation is until see your pic...
In all honestly, the Constellation is longer, but I don't think it's necessarily bigger. Both are due to the length of the body and that there are four nacelles taking up a lot of space. But, the Constellation's saucer is only three decks taller and also lacks the Connie's engineering hull, so its volume is probably smaller. I put this build next to the 2500 Refit, and the Refit is as long as the Constellation.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by shiftdel »

el gato wrote:In all honestly, the Constellation is longer, but I don't think it's necessarily bigger. Both are due to the length of the body and that there are four nacelles taking up a lot of space. But, the Constellation's saucer is only three decks taller and also lacks the Connie's engineering hull, so its volume is probably smaller. I put this build next to the 2500 Refit, and the Refit is as long as the Constellation.
After seeing your comment, I search for references and noticed that, actually, the Constellation is shorter or just a bit larger than the Constitution (refit). there are, of course, disagreement about the size of the Constellation.

Even considering a shorter size of 291 m for the Constellation, against 305 m for the Connie; it gave a volume of around 234 k cm3 for the Connie and 694 k cm3 for the Constellation. To get these values, I scaled the stl files of both ships on netfabb Studio to their equivalent in mm (1/1000 scale), and did the Standard Analysis to get the volume.

There may be differences regarding the accuracy of the models I used, but the general number should be closer...

Interesting...
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Huh, those interior volume calculations are interesting, shiftdel
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I've been meaning to post these for weeks. Base coat's on. Did most of the detail painting last week, hope to finish it today or tomorrow
2016-08-30 20.57.35.jpg
2016-08-30 20.58.57.jpg

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”