Dreadnought USS Abaddon -Finished Pics and Video!

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Dreadnought USS Abaddon -Finished Pics and Video!

Post by trekriffic »

An homage to the original series...

The Abaddon has entered a hole in space:

ImageA Dark, Dark Place by trekriffic, on Flickr

And encounters the twin of an old enemy:

ImageAnother One by trekriffic, on Flickr

This next one is a tribute to noted illustrator Ralph McQuarrie who contributed the amazing asteroid spacedock painting below for Star Trek: Planet of the Titans which was to have been the first motion picture based on STTOS. The film was in development for two years before being abandoned in 1977...

The Abaddon returns to McQuarrie Station for fine tuning after her shakedown cruise:

ImageAbbaddon Returns by trekriffic, on Flickr
Last edited by trekriffic on Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

More images...

The Abaddon responds to an emergency call from Starbase 134:

ImageAt Warp by trekriffic, on Flickr

The Enterprise is sent to meet with the USS Abaddon under secret orders from Starfleet Command.
They have become concerned about recent actions by her captain that might incite the Klingon Empire to declare full scale war against the Federation:

ImageFriend or Foe by trekriffic, on Flickr

trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Another TOS homage...
Just Where She Wants Them.jpg
Just Where She Wants Them.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 3240 times

trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

A new one...using a remastered still from TrekCore...
The Procyon.jpg
The Procyon.jpg (81.62 KiB) Viewed 3210 times

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

I believe that freighter was originally designed in TAS episode "More Tribbles, More Troubles" and shown in the remastered version of "Charlie X" as the Antares. Makes me think you could use a quote from Charlie for your ship - "You'd better be nice to me or I'll make you all go away!".
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

slawton wrote:I believe that freighter was originally designed in TAS episode "More Tribbles, More Troubles" and shown in the remastered version of "Charlie X" as the Antares. Makes me think you could use a quote from Charlie for your ship - "You'd better be nice to me or I'll make you all go away!".
You're right, but the remastered added a "saucer" to the front of the hull, which is a good distiction between the manned transport and the robot ship from TAS.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

slawton wrote:I believe that freighter was originally designed in TAS episode "More Tribbles, More Troubles" and shown in the remastered version of "Charlie X" as the Antares. Makes me think you could use a quote from Charlie for your ship - "You'd better be nice to me or I'll make you all go away!".
Actually, the still I used was from "Charlie X" but I didn't want to cross-polinate with that episode and this ship so I named it the Procyon after a ship name I found for an Antares class transport on Memory Beta:

https://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/USS_P ... s_class%29

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

I didn't mean to imply it was the Antares (maybe someone can read the registry and argue that it is, but it would have to be another ship since the original was destroyed in the episode). This is one of a class of ships (another may have also been shown in the remastered "The Ultimate Computer") and certainly could have been named Procyon.

I was just amused at a TAS ship showing up in a remastered episode -- makes TAS arguably more canon (although with the original, remastered, mirror, alternate timelines, Enterprise in general, etc., what is truly canon is blurred to me and can sort of be customized to what you like, ignore what you don't). You also learn new stuff, like the bridge on the 'crewed' version of the ship. Also, Charlie's toying with the crew seemed similar to what this ship could do to its opponents.

I also wonder after the Klingons, Romulans, et al get wind of this vessel, what moves would they make to counter it (their own "super-dreadnaught", specialized weapons, secret ops mission, fleet of customized ships, etc.). Might be an interesting subject for the proposed villains/adversaries build contest.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

slawton wrote:I also wonder after the Klingons, Romulans, et al get wind of this vessel, what moves would they make to counter it (their own "super-dreadnaught", specialized weapons, secret ops mission, fleet of customized ships, etc.). Might be an interesting subject for the proposed villains/adversaries build contest.
I have been wondering the same thing. I suppose one way to defeat the Abaddon would be to find a way to infect the ship's computer with a virus. You could trigger a warp core breach or shut off the internal Higgs field generators causing the crew to be plastered against the inner Tritanium hull by the tidal forces generated by the neutronium in her armor.
Still, since to my knowledge computer viruses were unknown back in the 1960's, the script writers at the time would not have had them available to use as a weapon so it would not have been canon within the confines of the original series palybook. Other than that, the only thing that could harm her armor would be a ship armed with another anti-proton beam as Starfleet engineering had discovered it was the only thing that would work to slice nano thin sections off the hull of the Doomsday Machine. And that's not likely to happen unless some secret ops mission succeeds in stealing the technology out of Section 31 and Starfleet's hands. However, even in the event the Abaddon faces off against another super dreadnought armed with an anti-proton beam weapon they would need to penetrate her triple redundant regenerative deflector shields before they could do any damage to her hull. And with two warp cores and four fusion reactors she has plenty of energy at her disposal to maintain those shields.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

trekriffic wrote:
slawton wrote:I also wonder after the Klingons, Romulans, et al get wind of this vessel, what moves would they make to counter it (their own "super-dreadnaught", specialized weapons, secret ops mission, fleet of customized ships, etc.). Might be an interesting subject for the proposed villains/adversaries build contest.
I have been wondering the same thing. I suppose one way to defeat the Abaddon would be to find a way to infect the ship's computer with a virus. You could trigger a warp core breach or shut off the internal Higgs field generators causing the crew to be plastered against the inner Tritanium hull by the tidal forces generated by the neutronium in her armor.
Still, since to my knowledge computer viruses were unknown back in the 1960's, the script writers at the time would not have had them available to use as a weapon so it would not have been canon within the confines of the original series palybook. Other than that, the only thing that could harm her armor would be a ship armed with another anti-proton beam as Starfleet engineering had discovered it was the only thing that would work to slice nano thin sections off the hull of the Doomsday Machine. And that's not likely to happen unless some secret ops mission succeeds in stealing the technology out of Section 31 and Starfleet's hands. However, even in the event the Abaddon faces off against another super dreadnought armed with an anti-proton beam weapon they would need to penetrate her triple redundant regenerative deflector shields before they could do any damage to her hull. And with two warp cores and four fusion reactors she has plenty of energy at her disposal to maintain those shields.
As I recall in the Orion Nebula- The Enterprise and the Reliant couldn't use shields.

Thus if the enemies decided to try and lure the Abaddon into a similar Nebula...
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”