Even with my severe case of the summertime blahs I thought I had the solution to completing the contest. I would declare the fleet "done" at the closing date no matter how many models I hadn't finished, saying I had to invade the Federation with the fleet I had, not the fleet I wanted to have.
Unfortunately, I planned to paint all my finished models at the same time, so I wouldn't lose the can or forget what color I was using between models. Well, the first week in September was a washout for painting, and I am not going to rush putting decals on paint that hasn't dried.
Maybe with the pressure off, I'll be reinvigorated, and see what I can do by "The Balance of Terror" (Dec 15). Here's what I have been working on:
By a chain of circumstances, the ADB gaming mini of their Bird of Prey is the size and shape of a 1/2500 Snipe. That's it on the left, with the Round2 BoP, and an Attack Wing BoP that is coincidentally the size and shape of the Mike McMaster Bird. Way off to the right is the gaming mini of the Snipe.
The FASA Night Flyer is where I ran out of steam. It seems fairly easy: a sheet of styrene for the top and bottom, cut a slit down the middle of the back halves and bring the edges together to give the slope from the center to the edges. The first picture is the bottom: the angles were thoughts I had for the undercut before I decided not to give it one, just make the aft end a straight wall. The top is a bit different with a flat section in the aft -- in cross-universe technological alignment I'm declaring them shuttlebay doors -- it might take a little putty to smooth things over. Still whenever I go to transfer the patterns to plastic sheet I back off.
From a game store clearance sale, something suitably Romulan. Shown next to an OS "Vulcan" shuttle and beneath the nacelle of a BoP. The piece of sprue on the side is one I had been trying to file down to a nacelle for it using my Dremel as a lathe. It'll have to be a lot thinner, but working it takes a lot of patience: I've snapped several other pieces already. Then there's rounding the front. You can see a small green pinhead that is too big to use.