50 x 50 ==> 2500 TOS (pic heavy)

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: 50 x 50 ==> 2500 (pic heavy)

Post by Kremin » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:37 pm

slawton wrote:

This wraps up the TOS Romulans. I'd also like to make a green Bird of Prey, similar to this depiction from a paperback book:

Might also try something from the Animated Series.
just don't touch / scan any boxes you find

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:14 am

Kremin wrote:
slawton wrote:

This wraps up the TOS Romulans. I'd also like to make a green Bird of Prey, similar to this depiction from a paperback book:

Might also try something from the Animated Series.
just don't touch / scan any boxes you find
Ok you are really straining my memory. I believe this was a cover from the book "Pandora Principle". I think I had read this over 30 years ago. I believe it was a Romulan plot to use stealth to secretly deliver a world annihilating plague, like some sort of disease the caused the platelets to clot? Am I close?
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer

Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:03 am

slawton wrote:
Kremin wrote: just don't touch / scan any boxes you find
Ok you are really straining my memory. I believe this was a cover from the book "Pandora Principle". I think I had read this over 30 years ago. I believe it was a Romulan plot to use stealth to secretly deliver a world annihilating plague, like some sort of disease the caused the platelets to clot? Am I close?
Close dumped a damaged BoP in fed space that could possibly sneak up on any planet but had several boxes left onboard the if opened converted all oxygen into something else, the 2 that were opened were in sealed environments so didn't destroy Earth (Primary Target) gave some brilliant back story to the origins Saavik

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:51 pm

Kirk: "Well, Commander, I guess that takes care of the war. Obviously, the Organians aren't going to let us fight." Klingon Commander Kor: "A shame, Captain. It would have been glorious!"
Errand of Mercy

Synopsis: In this futuristic version of the Cold War, the major rivals, the Klingon Empire and the Federation, are set to square off on the primitive planet Organia. The arrival of a Klingon fleet strands Kirk and Spock on the planet, who use guerrilla tactics to resist the Klingons. To their surprise, the pacifist "always-smiling" Organians do not want their help and insist they stop. As the tensions reach a head, the Organians are revealed as immensely powerful energy beings (can you say "Pure Energy") who stop both sides from fighting and establish the Organian Peace Treaty to halt direct conflict between the two parties.
320x240.jpg
320x240.jpg (12.82 KiB) Viewed 469 times
Notes: Here the Klingons are introduced as the major threat to the Federation (costuming/make-up for the Romulans was more expensive/time consuming), but they are largely de-clawed & de-fanged. I've always liked the actor, John Colicos, who played the Klingon Commander Kor with such gleeful bloodlust. He was more famous for playing Count Baltar in the original Battlestar Galactica. A Klingon ship only does minor damage with at least 6 hits to the primary hull, but the phasors (shown as white balls sounding like photon torpedoes and exploding) destroy the ship with 3 or 4 hits. A fleet of 8 Klingon ships arrive and attack the Enterprise with at least 2 more hits before it leaves. Several hundred Klingons beam down to Organia. In the remastered version, the Klingon ships resemble the D7 (a single one destroyed and a fleet with at least 6 on screen).

Plans: While not shown in the original episode, there is a reference to both the Federation and Klingon fleets. This leaves me room to build additional Federation ships (both class and name unspecified) and their Klingon opponents.

So take your turn at the Klingon mind scanner and wake up a veg-e-ta-ble...
Last edited by slawton on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:53 pm

Scotty: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"
Friday's Child'

Synopsis: Kirk tries to negotiate topeline mining contract with the Capellans to be thwarted by the Klingon emisary, Kras (with an "Amish" beard). While Scotty is busy on a wild goose chase due to a Klingon ship, the landing party is involved in a power struggle (Maab kills the Teer Akaar) and threatens a new unborn leader. While McCoy saves the baby, Kirk and Spock prove the better of the Klingon (both fearless and ingenious and less treacherous). The new leader, Leonard James Akaar, is born and the Federation bests the Klingons on Capella IV.
thYHLMRTCI.jpg
thYHLMRTCI.jpg (2.53 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Notes: One of several incidents where the two major powers must adhere to the Organian Peace Treaty, but still compete for power, control and expansion in a border region. Unlike Kor, this Klingon seemed to lack any likable traits -- purely despicable. Mr. Scott proves worthy during his command (also shown against the Romulans in "The Enterprise Incident".) The sexy Julie Newmar played the pregnant wife - probably most well known for her role as Catwoman in the Batman television series.

Plans: A glowing green Klingon ship is briefly shown on the screen. I may take a stab at custom building this one -- not sure what it really looks like though. In the remastered addition, it appears to be a D7 or similar type craft.

So take notes of the "I'm a doctor, not an (escalator)!" quotes...

Update- Looking through some FASA material, the Kalath K-3 Gunboat seems like a reasonable candidate:
Last edited by slawton on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:59 pm

Klingon Korax: "Though, I just remembered. There is one Earth man who doesn't remind me of a Regulan bloodworm. That's Kirk. A Regulan bloodworm is soft, and shapeless. But Kirk isn't soft. Kirk may be a swaggering, overbearing, tin-plated dictator with delusions of godhood. But he's not soft." Scotty: "Take it easy, lad. Everybody is entitled to an opinion." Korax: "That's right. And if I think that Kirk is a Denebian slime devil, well, that's my opinion, too." Scotty: "Don't do it, mister, and that's an order. " Chekov: "But you heard what he called the Captain!" Scotty: "Forget it. It's not worth fighting for. We're big enough to take a few insults. Now, drink your drink." Korax: " Of course, I'd say that Captain Kirk deserves his ship. We like the Enterprise. We, we really do! That sagging, old rust bucket is designed like a garbage scow. Half the quadrant knows it -- that's why they're learning to speak Klingonese!" Scotty: "Laddie, don't ya think you should rephrase that?" Korax: "You're right, I should. I didn't mean the Enterprise should be hauling garbage. I meant to say it should be hauled away AS garbage!"
The Trouble with Tribbles'

Synopsis:The Enterprise responds to an emergency call only to find its to protect some grain bound for Sherman's planet, which is important in showing that the Federation can develop the planet efficiently. A Klingon battlecruiser suspiciously shows up for shore leave. Cyrano Jones peddles a harmless creature known as a tribble. These creatures multiply when fed and reveal the grain was poisoned when they get into the storage containers. They also reveal a Klingon secret agent by a squeal of displeasure.
Koloth4.jpg
Koloth4.jpg (34.69 KiB) Viewed 470 times
Notes: One of the more amusing and memorable episodes besides the dramatic tension. It prompted related episodes for both the animated series and DS9. Also, the Klingons and tribbles mutually despise each-other. Captain Koloth (the actor also played the Squire of Gothos) was intended to be a regular foe of the Enterprise. Quadrotritacali, another inwention from Russia!

Plans: This episode shows the K7 space station. In the DS9 homage to this episode, "Trials and Tribble-ations", the Klingon battlecruiser appears green with more detailed markings. I'd like to add these to the collection.

So take precautions not to overfeed your tribble...
Last edited by slawton on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:45 pm

Klingon Mara: "We have always fought. We must. We are hunters, Captain, tracking and taking what we need. There are poor planets in the Klingon systems. We must push outward if we are to survive." Kirk: "There's another way to survive. Mutual trust and help."
Day of the Dove'

Synopsis: Mysterious circumstances have squared of the Klingons (with damaged ship) against the Federation (destroyed colony) on board the Enterprise battling it out using primitive weapons (swords, etc.), apparently for all eternity as the ship leaves the galaxy and the casualties miraculously recover. It is discovered that an alien entity that feeds off the violent emotions is setting up this situation for its own well-being. Once the combatants realize this, they cease hostilities and the alien leaves.
Kang2.png
Notes: Captain Kang was played by Michael George Ansara who also played the role in DS9 and Voyager episodes. He also played Kane from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. Not only that, he married Barbara Eden (yes master)! Does not seem like the Organians are paying attention!

Plans: This episode shows the first D7 battlecruiser on screen under the command of the Klingons (and it quickly gets blown up due to it being a hazard). The lighting seemed brighter making this ship appear a more light blue/green. I'll make one of my D7's resemble this one.

So bury the hatchet...
Last edited by slawton on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:08 pm

Kirk: "Mr. Spock, the women on your planet are logical. That's the only planet in this galaxy that can make that claim."
Elaan of Troyius

Synopsis: The Enterprise must transport the arrogant spoiled princess, Elaan, to Troyius to marry so a war can be stopped. Kirk tries to teach her how to act in a polite society, but he is put under a love spell from her tears. Meanwhile, hostile Klingons show up trying to destroyed the ship via sabotage. When that fails, a direct assault begins. It is discovered that dilithium crystals are common on her planet, which helps repair the Enterprise in time to defeat the Klingon ship. Apparently, the captain's devotion for the Enterprise serves as a cure for the love potion.

Notes: This episode makes me believe that the D7 is significantly inferior to the Enterprise. A sluggish Enterprise takes numerous shots (5 or more) from the Klingons, and easily disables the D7 with 3 photon torpedo hits. I haven't reviewed all the episodes yet, but it seems to me that only the phasors were present in the early episodes, so the photon torpedo may be a new game changing weapon for the Federation.

Plans: This has numerous shots of the D7 (even one firing green disruptors), and you may be able to see the two-tone effect in a side shot. One of my D7's will look like this.

So if it's not scottish, it's craaap...
Last edited by slawton on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Introduction

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:13 pm

Ah, the 1960's where mysogyny was blatent and everyone was drunk. I really can't watch a lot of TOS (especially season 3) because of garbage dialouge like that.

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:01 pm

Kirk: "Bones, do you remember the twentieth century brush wars on the Asian continent? Two giant powers involved, much like the Klingons and ourselves. Neither side felt that they could pull out?" Bones: "Yes, I remember. It went on bloody year after bloody year!". Kirk: "But what would you have suggested? That one side arm its friends with an overpowering weapon? Mankind would never have lived to travel space if they had. No, the only solution is what happened back then: balance of power." Bones: "And if the Klingons give their side even more?" Kirk: "Then we arm our side with exactly that much more. A balance of power - the trickiest, most difficult, dirtiest game of them all, but the only one that preserves both sides!"
A Private Little War'

Synopsis: After returning to Neural, Kirk discovers that the villagers have suddenly developed firearms (provided by the Klingons), leaving the hill people at a major disadvantage. Kirk violates the Prime Directive to balance the playing field in this Cold War analogy. We find Kirk yet again under the control of a woman after being healed from a mugato bite.
klingon_d7-3.png
Notes: While the Federation didn't win (restored parity), it at least prevented the Klingons from winning.

Plans: Even though a Klingon ship was present (Chekov was ordered to maintain a position outside of their sensor range), none was shown on screen. I'd presume it was a D7, so I'll make a standard gray/shades of gray version for this. In the remastered version, a gray/silverish D7 was shown with a white rectangular region on the rear of their hangar bay.

So if a Vulcan is in dire straits, it doesn't hurt to slap him around a bit...
Last edited by slawton on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Introduction

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”