ONX-01"Osiris" - Multi-Mission slipstream Prowler [WIP]

From 2D to 3D. CGI to Old School sketches. Post all artwork here!
RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Re: ONX-01 - Multi-Mission slipstream Cutter [WIP]

Post by RogueWolf » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:08 pm

Serin,

Don't get me wrong, this is your project, do with as you wish.

I think its an awesome design and I love the warp design, an underrated design ethic in my book. I keep telling myself that one of these days I'll start mucking around in CAD, but truth be told, I just don't have enough time.

Kudos to you though, you always produce good stuff! And this one is no exception, sexy and sleek!!!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:56 pm

Its all good, Rogue! I'm trying really hard to make this whole story and its parts self consistent so this is just a step on that path as far as I'm concerned.

Bit more progress today - internals roughed out and some more done on the outer hull. Multidimensional wave-function analysis module and chroniton integrators installed. Not sure where to throw the quantum field focus controller though, maybe under the nose somewhere. Need to work out what to do with the space between the bridge and the rear crew quarters - empty isn't really useful.
Pulse phaser emitters are just stand-ins.
Click drag to new tab should bring up larger images...

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:03 pm

You have a really small ship going down here. I would cut the bridge down to a large cockpit.

What is the range? Do people need places to sleep? Again a ship that size bunks are more practical. They need to eat and a place to be when not on duty,. A wardroom minimum.

Engineering spaces. Not just the engineering compartment but things like replicators, matter storage tanks for same. Life support etc. You are dealing with a hull smaller than a US WWII Balao class submarine. Fewer crew and no massive torpedoes to be sure. But not a huge hull.

Choices have to be made. A luxurious interior means little space for anything else. Highly utilitarian leaves more room for functional items.

Television gives us an odd view of things. The TOS Enterprise has those wide halls for the camera dolly, not any practical in story reason. Real ships are tight. small compartments, little personal space. Machines get room before people. Small starships are going to have to make those choices.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:00 am

Tesral wrote:You have a really small ship going down here. I would cut the bridge down to a large cockpit.

What is the range? Do people need places to sleep? Again a ship that size bunks are more practical. They need to eat and a place to be when not on duty,. A wardroom minimum.

Engineering spaces. Not just the engineering compartment but things like replicators, matter storage tanks for same. Life support etc. You are dealing with a hull smaller than a US WWII Balao class submarine. Fewer crew and no massive torpedoes to be sure. But not a huge hull.

Choices have to be made. A luxurious interior means little space for anything else. Highly utilitarian leaves more room for functional items.

Television gives us an odd view of things. The TOS Enterprise has those wide halls for the camera dolly, not any practical in story reason. Real ships are tight. small compartments, little personal space. Machines get room before people. Small starships are going to have to make those choices.
Yeah, that space in the middle between the bridge and the crew area is going to be filled with something similar to the crew area with an access hatch down the middle but I just don't have any good ideas about it yet. Its certainly not going to be the big empty it is now.
So with the engineering those two pods on the sides are going to contain the slipstream drive(whatever that looks like), a compact warp drive and the life support systems.
There's a fair amount of space between the outer hull and the inner so a lot of the other tech can be stuffed in there probably. The idea with the engineering space on the upper deck is just controls, workspace and diagnostics basically. I'm assuming for a fair bit of reasonable development in technologies what with this being built around 2400. Beaming in and out replacement parts for instance because as much as I'd like to I don't think I could fit a a Jefferies tube in the the center of the pods. Probably a few access hatches to play with things in the pods.
Storage is in the back few compartments. Matter storage is an interesting one - haven't really seen how the raw matter they use to replicate things is stored so I figure I've got some leeway there. Would it simply be in crates that the replicator beams material out of when needed or would the matter be stored in some kind of buffer like a transporter? Its not biological so its not as if there's a risk there. Run out of matter? Cool, find a floating rock and beam it into the buffer to fill up. If Scotty can store himself in a buffer for decades then surely 30-40 years later tech will have evolved to take advantage of that.
I think ideally it will look quite different to the cramped ships of yesteryear but still cramped enough to convey something of its purpose. I'm going to try to find a nice medium between sleek and utilitarian.

I think once I've completed the crew spaces I might go on to install the networks for the SIF, shield emitters, inertial dampers and something I'm going to call 'spoofers'(none of those pesky bio readings are going to be detectable from the outside).

Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: ONX-01 - Multi-Mission slipstream Prowler [WIP]

Post by Serin019 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:55 am

Compact Quantum Slipstream Drive prototype and medbay area started. Pretty happy with both so far.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:19 pm

Dayum. You have a real talent there.

Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:08 am

DefiantClient wrote:Dayum. You have a real talent there.
Thanks. Strange how these things develop.

Anyway.. more interior work. Sorted out some bulkhead/wall stuff. Started on the engineering control space.
QSD holo diagnostics are going to be a thing, same for warp drive and the rest of the ship too probably.
No idea what to do with the rest of that space though. I'd happy take advice on it.
Doors. Need to work out how to make some doors.

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by kobayashimaru » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:33 pm

neat!
I see a lot of cues from Tron and Mass Effect? :D
the film grain and depth of field help lend even more verisimilitude to these;
my only concrit or feedback re the engineering panel;
needs more okuda-grams :D

turning to the med-bays (engineering area?)... I am happy to bounce some ideas around,
in thanks for these awesome images and all your work :D

are patients of each 'bay' to be held under Zero-G/variable gravity zone?
would a forcefield help save space - by making the sickbay on a small ship like this also the Brig? :lol:

if it's engineering -
where are the bulkheads and blast-shielding etc in case of 'warp core breach" (as seen in Generations, with geordi commando rolling etc) - a variant of those would be cool - and if a vulcan ship, perhaps transparent liquid non-newtonian metal or something?
hand-grips for maneuvering during zero-G/decompression (if forcefields are offline) or battle-stations would be cool, along with military-cargo transport style netting etc... something about that netting, apart from being awesome, makes the inside of military transport vehicles 'homey'.
some caution markings and EPS conduits/relays would be cool to see - any excuse to see vulcan writing styles in the 24/25th C.
An Engineering Wall MSD (for if power is offline) would be great on the central hallway wall...
also - how do you feel about "a place for everything- everything in its place"?
seeing those awesome tools on a tool-rack and illuminated would be cool. Vulcans would be very particular about being tidy and efficient, and hanging their tools on the wall would be as close to 'art' as possible in many spaces. :lol:
You were saying elsewhere, holo-emitters are standard fitouts throughout all interiors...
so, the interior space could be variable geometry depending on needs etc...

A chemical synthesis replicator station, and small fume-box/lab for compounds would be great in engineering.
A Cargo Transporter Pad would be great (somewhere between the DS9/TNG movies and Time-Ship ST:Voy variant?)
how do you feel about the TNG-Nemesis weapons panels --- too "MIB"? (a phaser in a locked box, sure... though for anything more, they'd have to visit a deck armory near the turbolift or the ships' armory to sign the weapon out etc, that, and transporters could beam the weapon directly to a person...).

I hope some of these ideas are of use to you;
keep up the awesome work, Serin019 :D

Return to “Trek Art”