Kobayashimarus Trekish Art

From 2D to 3D. CGI to Old School sketches. Post all artwork here!
kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Kobayashimarus Trekish Art

Post by kobayashimaru » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:06 am

Howdy!
This'll be the home for some trek-related non-miniatures stuff :lol:

This next piece has a story to it...
This image is based on a photo of my commbadge (ST:VOY/late TNG and TNG movies era),
which I had the good fortune to obtain in person from The Experience in Las Vegas.
It is a well-worn badge now.

While there, Picardo himself was in town at Caesar's Palace, and happened to stop by The Experience, and said hi to everyone there. That was AWESOME! Quark's Bar had a Quark's Nebula Cocktail, served in a fishbowl, with coffee flavored liquor and icecream, dang that was awesome. The aquarium there too was pretty neat, the rides were fun (if only they had 'lazer tag' with phasers and disruptors etc). Hopefully the Aqaba Experience opens and is as much fun, or the Stateside restoration team ends up recreating a star trek world themepark...
there was talk that a trek themed restaurant might be a thing in Hong Kong (that'd be awesome - there's a lot of fans of Trek in China)

As to the image itself, it is an embossed effect, based on the negative of the commbadge, with 'cartoon filter 5' and sketchy effect 4 applied from GIMP.
a friend was kind enough to lenticularize the image...

I have an A3 sized version of this printed in the garage. :D
Attachments
rustedbadge.jpg
image based upon my commbadge, obtained from The Experience, Las Vegas.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Kobayashimarus Trekish Art

Post by DefiantClient » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:34 am

Very neat photo. Looks like a sketch at first glance.

I went to The Experience back in 08 a month before it closed down. It was fun, but you're right it could have used a lazer tag. Also, apparently they closed down the Promenade and it' was just a big empty room. It was such a great time though, as a fan. My non trekkie friends had a pretty good time especially after having a borg sphere and a warp core breach at quarks. I wish all scorpion bowl type drinks were served in fishbowls and dry ice. :lol:

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:20 am

@defiantclient,
yeah, well said!
I looked at photos before it closed, and it was all gutted and that was sad to see... :o

I second your idea for at least one novelty sized beverage to be served in those scorpion bowl/fishbowl types!
If they ever make a Fallout-themed themepark, that'll have to be on the menu,
along with 50s styled wholesome sliders burgers and shakes :lol:

@all
Forgive what follows, a dream wishlist for "Trek-topia", the trekkiest place on earth :lol:
Its sad to hear the Aqaba project is on indefinite hiatus...
Having visited Disneyland prior to The Experience, if I'm honest,
a part of me was somewhat underwhelmed momentarily, as part of me tried to compare Trek to Disneyland, LegoLand or Universal Studios themepark.
I thought The Experience was a standalone dedicated place :lol:
that there'd be costumed street performers and lines for all the rides. It was cool, but it's a little like comparing say...
Aussie World to DreamWorld or Warner Bros. MovieWorld (aussie world is cool, it has paintball and rides and all, but its a third the size of the others etc)

Drinking from the Borg-themed cup replete with the borg head and borg novelty straw, that was awesome!
Where were the other factions themed stuff? the klingon cup looked goofy, and didn't have a cool lid. Needless to say, no Romulans :( or bizarrely, no federation themed novelty cups.
Lazer-tag would've been awesome, even moreso now that there's "AugmentedReality" VR headsets and OcculusRifts around! to try and burn off some of the calories after sitting on the rides for so long hehehe along with bat'leth/skirmish fencing etc...
with those replica dense-foam weapons, great for little klingons and romulans to spar with,
or "tsunkatse" or that TNG-I-cant-believe-its-not Gladiator thing that Riker and Riker's dad spar with...

Also... there was no arcade closeby. Where's the trek games at? :lol:
solely trek games would be at the Trek Experience.
If I was re-making the Experience, there'd be a Mana-Bar styled gaming cafe also,
which has gaming kiosks you can vend special Trek-tokens at
(or, you can swap the tokens for other stuff, or put the tokens through a 'penny-stretching machine' etc,
or you can try and collect them all)
Trek Boardgames are also played there. Championship level events could play a stage (or the ultimate final stage) at Trektopia.

It wouldn't be Trek-topia, without some actual astronomy and such,
so there'd have to be a real proper planetarium too :D styled as an astrometrics lab,
and with Scott Manley as 'scotty' for the voiceover... You can also have your picture taken as 'graduating Starfleet Academy" (you can rent a costume from various factions, and for those who can't afford the regalia, there's those stands with cutouts for your head). Some proceeds from the Trektopia Planetarium go towards real space projects, scholarships/bursaries for space-science researchers and SETI etc

If at all possible, that massive Orrery from the former Tomorrowland, that'd be awesome to have there too :lol:
Space Mountain, but with the Borg Ride inside, would be cool also :lol:

Of course, the ultimate-ultimate Trektopia would be,
to build it at the fictional site of where Zefram Cochrane launches the Phoenix,
and to have a statue of Zefram there, along with a Roddenbury statue
(the cast of all shows would be recreated again via a special Madame Tussauds exhibit, each character in a different action pose/moment in time, which would showcase the "Exhibit" which toured)
A little something special might happen with Q, thanks to say, North ARM robotics? Hopefully Q doesn't go Westworld...

Anywho... I might share some sketches of trektopia someday hehehe :lol:

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:01 am

It really sucks when places like that close down. I miss Nostalgia Town. It was a dinky little theme park, but it had character and it had mini golf and a bitchin' time travel themed train ride.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:33 am

@Drop Bear,
indeed... that's lamentable - ave, Nostalgia Town :lol:
I had heard that there was interest in turning Nostalgia Town into a permanent site of the Abbey Fair/medieval themed stuff...

that and there's only 3 minigolf places left hehe...
what're you supposed to do if you don't like sport so much (shock horror), nor "raves"?

At least there'll be a Mana Bar on the coast by 2018. :D

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:14 am

Figures. Retail and housing always takes a priority over tourism and recreation. Remember the Nambour sugar mill? It would have a great museum, but now the site is occupied by a Coles and a bottle shop. Great to hear that there will be a mana bar on the coast. I was annoyed to find the one in Brisbane had closed long before I heard of it.

Back on topic, it is an interesting idea you have. I'd love to see some sketches of what you have in mind. Maybe your Trektopia could have mini golf, too? 47 holes, of course. :lol:
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:19 am

That's very artful, kobayashi!
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:35 am

@Drop Bear,
indeed - that sugar mill, and the north Bundaberg one, they were shocking to see lost so quickly. The model train and train-enthusiast/steam power society apparently applied, but didn't have funds. The cane trains are near-enough to the larger model gauges apparently. Let alone for the 'kanakers' and the folks that worked the fields, to make stuff like Bundy Rum :lol:

Trektopia Minigolf... dang. Where'd you put the course?
and, would each of the 18 hole course be a different trek theme, with trek-obstacles?
or would the whole course be in the shape of say, the Federation symbol? :lol:
And out of curiosity, why 47 holes? why not 42 - who'd pass up a hitch-hikers guide reference :lol: the more mini-putt putt courses the better hehe

My sketching skills are... rather, rudimentary. (there are a few sketches of "trek-land" around) Perhaps the awesome folks of AllScaleTrek could kitbash
and share some muddmaps of the great themepark that never was - Trektopia, Montana. :D
I'd be keen to see what folks come up with.

@el gato,
you're too kind, thanks. :lol:
The commbadge is awesome, and there was apparently a lot of weird textures in the one I obtained from The Experience - it's almost like it's aztec'd too.

the image is just an invert and filter - I wonder if other fans have their different commbadges, and what they look like (it didn't sound that weird in my mind :oops: ).

I've seen a few awesome wall displays of commbadges, though I'm keen to see what everyone's made.
I cheated and bought one from the Experience heheh, so all I have to do is polish it.
The wooden ones with lacquer are awesome - I've seen a driftwood and sandalwood/birch commbadge hand made and light stained once, in this little store in Indonesia - they had a lot of cool stuff
I'll have to see if I've a picture of it still.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:45 am

this is the unmodified image the previous image was made from;
prior to polishing, the stock Experience badges are of such a sheen,
that they preclude flash-photography - they are that shiny :lol:

So, on your 'dress uniform' ones, you can increase the sheen using jewellers polish and a dremmel (on light ultrabuff head 3 setting), and slowly move the polishing implement in lines over the item.
you stop after a minute or so, and then use your clear sealer (clearcoate allbright works),
and prepare to blind folks.
I learned how to do that from a local trekkie who is a doppelganger of Admiral Dougherty, and has that clear/blue (painted agate) "Admiral Belt".

For your 'battledamaged' ones, you can just put some dirt and grime, and coffee grind,
a light rinse and clear coate.
Attachments
lumibadge.jpg
The ST:VOY Badge from The Experience

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:20 am

The actual movie props were painted wood, that's why they don't have the same shine as the medal ones that fans use. I thought about buying a medal one and putting a nice layer of dullcoat just to see what it looked like. But then I wonder why not just buy a wooden one :roll:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Trek Art”