Shaw's artistic endeavors

From 2D to 3D. CGI to Old School sketches. Post all artwork here!
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Shaw's artistic endeavors

Post by Griffworks »

I'm enjoying your work, speculative or not. I think it's fun watching this sort of stuff, and always interesting to see it evolve.

So, please continue!
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

Thanks guys! I'll keep plugging away at it as I can.

I did get a chance to finish up on the last few elements I wanted to add to the exterior plans...

Click to enlarge

And I also got around to doing the Constellation (which is essentially the AMT Enterprise minus the seam lines)...

Click to enlarge
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

I was sick in bed and couldn't get to my main computer, so I put this together with what I had on hand to kill some time.

Click to enlarge

I don't know if I'll ever do anything with it, but I figured I'd share it with you guys.
jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 »

I was told we never saw an admiral's sleeves in TOS.

But the actor for Admiral Fitzpatrick in "The Trouble with Tribbles" did a goof on his role in the "You're in good hands with Allstate" commercials for the blooper reel. As you can see, even for just a viewscreen cameo they took the time to outfit him properlyImage

Are the alternating designs transition to what Admiral Kirk had in ST:TMP?
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

I didn't label the braids because I didn't have my normal font on that system, I've changed it now.

And yes, the alternate admiral's braids are there because of TMP. It is interesting to note that during the wardrobe test Shatner's uniform is using the admirals braids from the Technical Manual, but it was fixed for the movie. This is the type of thing I'd think that William Ware Theiss would have caught, but I don't believe he was involved after Phase II was scrapped.

I, personally, think that a modified Commodore braid using the standard braid as the upper and lower bound would have worked better than pressing three standard braids together.

Also, I note the distinction between the Lieutenant Commander in a lead role verses the full Commander. Spock and Finney are both officially Lieutenant Commanders, and I'd guess Security Chief Giotto is also. I'd bet that full Commander is a rank generally reserved for commanding a starship or an outpost. But by that same theory I also believe that the commanding officers of the 12 starships upgraded to be part of the UESPA Five Year Mission were promoted to Captain (9 of them) or Commodore (3 of them) to give them more authority while operating outside of normal Federation boundaries. And so Pike in The Cage and Kirk in WNMHGB were originally Commanders, and Kirk's promotion to Captain made him the youngest to hold that rank, even if he wasn't abnormally young to command a starship.

I labeled the Lieutenant Commander - Lead as optional/recommended because both Scott and McCoy could have used them in their roles on the Enterprise, but didn't.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Lovin’ it!
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

That's a bit of egg salad there.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
ewg1967
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by ewg1967 »

Amazing to think this could have been. Beautiful.
Shaw wrote:Thanks!

This is the more extensive set of images...

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

And then there are the behind the scenes shots too (ya know, from the DVD extras)...

Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

Thanks guys!

ewg1967 wrote:Amazing to think this could have been. Beautiful.
Yeah, it is sad to think about what we missed out on... basically TOS improved. Sharper uniforms (with more designs), higher quality props that still looked like the originals, and better effects (most likely comparable to Battlestar Galactica, the Galactica studio model was about the same size as the Phase II Enterprise model). I'm not too sure how good the stories were for the first season, but TNG survived its first season, so Phase II might have also.

I cleaned up the uniform elements a bit (sorry it took so long to post it)...

Click to enlarge

Also I don't know if I ever shared this stuff with you guys, but here is some of my research on the 11 foot Enterprise studio model...

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

This is the information I used in making the masters for the Columbia, though the intent was to build a one-sixth studio scale Enterprise at some point.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

:bow:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Trek Art”