Shaw's artistic endeavors

From 2D to 3D. CGI to Old School sketches. Post all artwork here!
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Shaw's artistic endeavors

Post by Shaw »

Some progress on my plans of the 1966 AMT Enterprise model... still missing some elements, but it is getting closer to being finished.

Click to enlarge
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Shaw wrote:Some progress on my plans of the 1966 AMT Enterprise model... still missing some elements, but it is getting closer to being finished.

Click to enlarge
So Shaw, these could actually double as plans for the USS Constellation then?
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

Sure... remove the seam lines and replace the Enterprise decals with the ones I made for the Constellation on this decal sheet...

Click to enlarge
(EPS version, PDF version)

... and you've got plans for the studio model (minus the damage). So yeah, the Constellation was made from this same run of the AMT kit that these plans are based on.

But this is part of the larger project of documenting all of the models used to represent the Enterprise onscreen during the original series... which includes the small 3 inch metal models as the one not encased in lucite was used for effects shots in The Doomsday Machine as the Enterprise getting pulled into the Planet Killer.

Click to enlarge

The entire project covers Jefferies' original 1964 plans for the studio models, the 33 inch model, the 11 foot model, the AMT 18 inch model, Jefferies' writers' guide diagrams and the 3 inch metal models. It's a lot of historical information, much of which has been overlook by fans who only care about an idealized version of the Enterprise (largely based on the 11 foot model).

One of the things I think this highlights is that the Enterprise isn't an easy design to copy (even for those who designed her). After all, the first reasonably accurate replica of the 11 foot Enterprise took nearly 30 years (the DS9 Enterprise by Greg Jein) and it had been on public display at the Smithsonian for around 20 years by that point.

My insanity goes far beyond just the 33 inch Enterprise (though that is where it all started for me). :shock:
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Nice Art, Shaw!

As you know, I am a fan of your work! BTW, I love the one sheet you did on the AMT TOS Enterprise!

Keep it up!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Steve
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

Thought I'd share some plans I'd been working on recently.

My reconstruction of the 1964 Jefferies Enterprise plans...

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

My reverse engineered plans of the original 1966 AMT Enterprise model...

Click to enlarge

And lastly, my plans for the Enterprise Working Props...

Click to enlarge

Eventually I'll get around to updating my 33 inch Enterprise plans (the ones I made back in 2007 are painfully out of date), consolidating my data into a set of plans for the 11 foot Enterprise, finish putting together my plans for the Phase II Enterprise, and finally finishing my plans for the Galileo studio model.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Nice work as usual.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

As always, Shaw, Very Nice Work!! Beautiful job!

As you may remember, I am a fan of your work as well as a beneficiary! I can easily see any one of these becoming a 24" x 36" wall poster! (Uhm...just a thought...have you ever considered "colorizing" them with a blue background and wire lines?)

Thanks again! Well done, sir!

Steve
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

:jawdrop:

I did not know that the saucer's ventral side in the 33" model looked so different
Shaw wrote:One of the things I think this highlights is that the Enterprise isn't an easy design to copy (even for those who designed her). After all, the first reasonably accurate replica of the 11 foot Enterprise took nearly 30 years (the DS9 Enterprise by Greg Jein) and it had been on public display at the Smithsonian for around 20 years by that point.
Wow, no kidding. Excellent work, Shaw. If you ever bind these in a book I'm getting a copy.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

Thanks guys!

el gato wrote:I did not know that the saucer's ventral side in the 33" model looked so different
The odd shape of the 33 inch model ended up having an effect on the placement of the grooved rings on the underside of the primary hull on the 11 foot model. Jefferies had drawn the rings on his final plans (which only showed a side view of them), and Datin added them to the 33 inch model based on their vertical height. When making notes for adding windows, Datin sketched out the rings based on measurements off the 33 inch model. It was those (wider) rings that were translated to the 11 foot model during it's construction.

I try to show that in this illustration...

Click to enlarge

This is a good example of why having a working knowledge of the 33 inch Enterprise can be helpful in understanding how the 11 foot Enterprise ended up the way it is.

I would love to put together a book some day. I figure the cover of it might look something like this...

:D
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

I'd buy that book!
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “Trek Art”