Display Stands for 2500 Scale Cadet Series

A place for those new to the hobby (or at a basic skill level) to ask questions and hone their skills.
michelalano
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Display Stands for 2500 Scale Cadet Series

Post by michelalano » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:04 pm

I am building the evolution of Enterprises from the cadet series (TOS thru Enterprise E, 6 models) and displaying them together as one model on a single plank of wood. None of them came with display stands. Some of them have holes, but the smaller ships do not. The Enterprise D has a rectangular slot that is not cut out. I plan to use a simple metal or acrylic dowel for each one but I'd like for them to be as consistent as possible. I'm considering using some kind of rubberized tube inside each model so the dowel will fit snugly.

How have any of you solved this solution? I know I will have to drill holes where needed, but how do you ensure that it's straight? How do you know where to drill? What materials did you use?

This seems like it would be a common question for these models but I couldn't find anything in the forums.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: Display Stands for 2500 Scale Cadet Series

Post by Moongrim » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:08 pm

I've encountered a similar problem myself.
http://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.p ... n&start=80

What I've been using has been a brass rod, shortened to an appropriate length- of which you'll have to decide for yourself. The nice thing about the brass is- even if you thought you had gotten the model perfect perpendicular to the base, if it turns out you didn't - you can always gently straighten it out.

Luckily Dremel tools has a drill bit just about the same size as the brass rod I've been using, so that when I drill a hole the rod fits just about snug. For the mounting glue I use a two part epoxy.

And where to drill?
I try to find the 'Center of Gravity' this picture should give you an idea:

I hold the completed (or near completed- everything glued together and ready to paint) model and (if necessary) hold it upside down and hold it in a 'pinching' hold (like you're holding something noxious) and try to find the point along the length of the model where it balances out- like the picture above. Using a magic marker (fine point) I then make a lateral mark approximately where I was pinching it. I then make another mark along the center line- where the two intersect is where I drill the hole.
The almost perfect spot to 'balance' the model.

Of course using a dremel tool, you have to be careful not to drill too far. I usually eyeball it to compare the depth of the part to be drilled.

Leaving the model lying down with the "X-ed" spot facing up, I then position the drill ready to press down upon it. This is the tricky part- Trying to drill down perfect vertical- therein it may be a good idea to have another pair of eyes to help you insure the drill is as close to vertical as you can get. I'd recommend trying this out on some scrap wood ahead of time to get some practice.

And afterwards- take the brass rod and place the model upon it to see just how far out of true vertical you managed to drill. If need be you can reinsert the drill and carefully 'waggle' it to widen out the hole.

I use a modeler's mini-vise to hold the brass rod in place and then add the epoxy and the model- and then use various nearby items to shiv the model into the position I want. As stated above- the brass rod can be bent afterwards to the position you desire.
Mini-vise: http://www.all-spec.com/Catalog/Hand-Po ... aQodWxYMHw
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

michelalano

Post by michelalano » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:32 pm

great tips, thanks! I'm going to work on it all this weekend.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:37 pm

Once you've done what Moongrim says about finding and marking the balance point you can also opt for a having a removable base and display rod by mounting a short length of styrene tubing in the model sized so the brass rod will slide into it snugly. Drill a hole in the model then slide a long piece of the properly sized styrene tubing into it until it butts up against the inside surface of the model. Then mark a line with a pencil on the outside of the tube where it exits the model. Maybe leave 1/16" of an inch showing. remove the tubing and cut it where you made your mark. Now squirt some styrene cement (you can also use slow setting super glue (CA) or 5-minute epoxy) on the end of the tube and slide it into the hole all the way. Now insert your brass rod and hold the model up to make sure it's sitting straight. You should be able to wiggle the rod a little bit in each direction you need to get it vertical before the glue sets up. Remove the rod quickly though if you are using CA glue as it will stick to brass in a heartbeat and you end up with a permanently attached display rod. If you do use CA, get a bottle of the thicker, slower setting variety so you have 5 to 10 seconds to play with while getting the tube aligned properly in the model.

As far as the base goes, if you have a craft store (like Michaels or Hobby Lobby) in your area you can find wooden plaques/bases in various sizes to fit the size of your model. For smaller 1/2500 scale ships I use these small wooden discs that come 4 to a bag. they are usually in the same aisle as the wooden bases. You can leave them as, stain and seal with a nice wood stain, or prime and paint them any color you desire.

Here's an example of the small wooden disc I used for the base of my sacred scale K'T'Inga:
IMG_8450.JPG
IMG_8450.JPG (67.45 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
It's completely removable from the base which is nice for zooming around the room when you want to have mock space battles!
IMG_8521.JPG
IMG_8521.JPG (87.17 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Moongrim

Post by Moongrim » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:08 pm

Hmmmm, I'm gonna have to try that sometime Trekriffic. Thanks!
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “Newbie Modeler Help Desk”