Decal help...... suggestions needed.

A place for those new to the hobby (or at a basic skill level) to ask questions and hone their skills.
No Good modeler
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Decal help...... suggestions needed.

Post by No Good modeler » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Last night after many moons of hand painting a USS Centaur that I purchased of Federation Models I decided to apply the decall that came with the model. The very first application, the main saucer decal just fell apart. Literally disinterested.

Now, I'm pretty sure that the other applications will go the same way.

I was thinking about alternative decals for this 1/2500 scale beaut.

Any suggestions?

MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Re: Decal help...... suggestions needed.

Post by MEATLOAFr » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:18 pm

didn't happen to scan them before application?

otherwise try contacting the maker for a replacement, some are nice enough to send a free replacment
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

No Good modeler
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by No Good modeler » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:59 pm

MEATLOAFr wrote:didn't happen to scan them before application?

otherwise try contacting the maker for a replacement, some are nice enough to send a free replacment
Unfortunately I did not scan the decal sheet and I immediately regretted it.

I'm guessing I will try to reach out to Federation Modelers and I that doesn't help, I may order some replacement of ebay.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Post by Moongrim » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:15 pm

That appears to be a common problem with a lot of decals I've noticed of late.

What were you using to soak the decal in before application- JUST water? Sometimes contaminants in the water will cause havoc with the decals.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

No Good modeler
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by No Good modeler » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Moongrim wrote:That appears to be a common problem with a lot of decals I've noticed of late.

What were you using to soak the decal in before application- JUST water? Sometimes contaminants in the water will cause havoc with the decals.

Yes I was using water. Is there something different I could try?

Also, I was thinking of applying my own layer of clear coat to the decal sheet to see is that would help to save the rest... Im not sure if that will work though.

Moongrim

Post by Moongrim » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:37 pm

No Good modeler wrote:
Moongrim wrote:That appears to be a common problem with a lot of decals I've noticed of late.

Yes I was using water. Is there something different I could try?

Also, I was thinking of applying my own layer of clear coat to the decal sheet to see is that would help to save the rest... Im not sure if that will work though.
I've found that distilled water- seems to have the least deleterious effect upon my decals. Tap water here (is hard water) increases the chance of having my decals crumble.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:19 pm

Normally I use regular tap water in a food plate. Now the problem of decal disintegration seems to have happened very often lately. I had several issues with it with R2 kits. All the nice Aztek sheets that came with my 1/1000 Enterprise refit ended into the garbage can after I start to try using them and they vaporize apart in hundreds of small pieces. Very frustrating. Another problem I have noticed is that the decals don't stick well to the kit as it used in the models I built when I was a kid.

To save your work I would contact Federation Models and would explain the problem. I believe they will happily sell you an extra sheet of decals. Then, when you receive it, do as MeatLoad said and scan it before to use.

In the future keep in home a couple blank sheets of decals that you can print, preferably in a color laser printer in the next corner electronic print shop. The model I am finishing (a 1/537 Reliant) is an old one and came with an useless decal sheet full of mold so I just scanned it, redrew in Corel and printed my own sheet.

To resolve the problem with bad sticking I carefully brush the decals with white glue after to position them in place and dry with a paper towel. When dried the white glue will become transparent and virtually disappear. Although an overall layer of clear coat will fix definitively the decals I have learned that the white glue avoid that you blow the small ones away with the airbrush jet!

;)
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Newbie Modeler Help Desk”