Finish

A place for those new to the hobby (or at a basic skill level) to ask questions and hone their skills.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Finish

Post by mophius » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:35 pm

Ok I am trying to locate pledge with Finish in the UK.
I have a description from the bottle here:

Price £3.00£3.00(£4.00 per lt)

Ingredients

Contains <5% Non-Ionic Surfactants , Perfume , Linalool , Methylisothiazolinone .

Manufacturer Marketing:

SC Johnson A family company since 1886. Fisk Johnson

Further Description:

Extra Protection Shine without streaky residue Pledge® Extra Protection Polish for tile, stone and granite is the ideal product to give a shiny and durable protection to your floors without streaky residue. You can use it on all your washable floors: tiles, plastic floors, natural stone, granite, etc.

Regulated Product Name:

Multi-Surface Polish

Preparation and Usage:

For Shine: Apply product directly to floor and spread evenly. If applying second coat, wait at least 4 hours to re-apply. For Cleaning: Dilute 3 capsules in 1L of water and clean. To Remove Product: Mix 0.5L ammonia with 2L cool water and 3 capfuls of product. Apply to floor, wait 5 min, then rinse with cool water. Repeat if needed. Note: Not recommended for the use on unsealed floors or floors sealed with oil. If in doubt, test in an inconspicuous area first.

Would this be the same stuff that you guys have in the US?
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

asmcelhinney
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Finish

Post by asmcelhinney » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:22 pm

A quick Google shows that Pledge is or was considered a UK equivalent to future/klear. I never saw what the obsession with the stuff was, plenty of varnishes and clear/matt/gloss coats avaliable out there.

Worth a try, but experiment on a spare something first.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

My fledgling YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PapanurgleForums

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:36 pm

I guess its going to be the cost. £4.00 for a litre.
I suppose it goes a long way. I am not sure how much a laquer costs yet as I am not near that stage but an aerosol of primer is £5.00 for 500ml
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Tesral » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:06 am

mophius wrote:I guess its going to be the cost. £4.00 for a litre.
I suppose it goes a long way. I am not sure how much a laquer costs yet as I am not near that stage but an aerosol of primer is £5.00 for 500ml
Future makes a nice decal helper.

When I bought the bottle Susan wanted to know if it came is a smaller bottle. I pointed out they sell it for floors, not modeler.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:06 am

Having used Future before, I've come to prefer a proper gloss clear coat. Future is hard, but its not that shiny. Its also delicate. One of the first things I I used Future for, was some customs from a line of Transformers toys that had detailed 1/24 scale licensed car modes (Transformers Alternators) At some point, long after finishing one, I decided to repaint it's feet. I left it laying on it's back, on a paper towel. The future on the back (which was also the roof of the car) was damaged by something in the paper towel attacking it. It left the pattern of the towel in the Future, and it wasn't on the surface. The damage was actually inside the clear layer.

I do occasionally add a couple drops to a bottle of model paint, to make it dry harder on my projects.

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Tesral » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:10 am

I never use the stuff as a final coat. As I usually finish with a flat finish. But it makes a good over the decal coat to protect the decal while doing other decals.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:32 pm

I recall there was a report a couple of years ago that Kleer had been reformulated but I can't recall the details. I grabbed a few old formula bottles from a local store and stashed them away just in case (hope the stuff doesn't go off with age).

I agree that it has its downside but as stated it makes a good base for applying decals and I have had no compatibility problems unlike some other official modelling varnishes.

I dismantled, stripped down and repainted the Hasbro large Battlestar Galactica diecast from the new Galactica series a few years back. Repainted using a mix of Halfords grey primer spray and Tamiya acrylic paints. Then gave it a coat of the Krylon gloss acrylic spray before adding decals (stripes etc plus some tiny lettering).

Result was a disaster. The Krylon melted the underlying paint. It did dry and harden eventually but left the paint surface with a cracked appearance. Actually from a distance it looks like surface detail but when you get up close :shock:

Anyway, repeated the project with another BSG and used Kleer. Worked perfectly.

Return to “Newbie Modeler Help Desk”