Welcome!

A place for those new to the hobby (or at a basic skill level) to ask questions and hone their skills.
trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Welcome!

Post by trekriffic » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:16 am

Welcome newbies to your corner of AST!

My name is trekriffic; although there be those that call me... Steve? ;)

I was asked by Xen recently if I would be interested in hosting a new forum within AST dedicated to those members new to modelling or who have had very limited experience with the ins and outs of this hobby but were enthusiastic about learning more from an experienced modeler. It would also be a place to hang out for more experienced veterans who have been away from the hobby for awhile but have decided to jump back in and need a little refresher course to get up to speed again.
A forum with, hopefully, a lot of give and take about what you newbies want to know more about and where I would serve as a helpful mentor. This shouldn't be construed as a forum where I'm the only one holding forth dispensing pearls of wisdom though. Nobody knows everything and nobody likes a know-it-all so I would like to invite other experienced modellers here to participate in a collaborative effort to expand the knowledge base for everyone, newbies, intermediates and us old geezers.

Who knows? We might all teach each other a thing or two. 8-)

Anyway, here's a little background on me...

I am in my late 50's and started modeling when I was about 7 years old.
I built sci-fi vehicles, cars, tanks, airplanes, ships, dinosaurs, monster models, you name it.
There was a brief lull in my 20's and early 30's when real life intervened and I got away from it; but, then, Star Trek the Motion Picture came out and with it AMT released a new Starship Enterprise model- The Refit!
Well I couldn't resist. I had to get it! So I did and that was the start of my model building resurgence.
Still, it was a rather lonely hobby, lots of time spent by myself slaving away on styrene with glue and paint in my garage.

Me at the bench with one of my latest creations...
ImageIMG_8243 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Then I discovered online forums and my hobby life was transformed.
Imagine, being able to share my modeling passion with other modeling enthusiasts on my computer! My first was Starship Modeler, then HobbyTalk, then, well, suffice to say, there have been quite a few I've joined over the years. Each one taught me valuable lessons and expanded my knowledge of basic and advanced techniques to improve my models. The value of having forums to post, not only photos of my own builds (thanks to the advent of digital photography), but to view photos of other modellers' creations and ask questions about how the builders did what they did can never be underestimated.
Their work inspired me to hone and expand my own skills, learning new and better methods to take my models to higher levels.
Comparing where I am now to where I was when I started is like night and day.
For instance... take my old Refit...

ImageIMG_8231 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Nice huh? Yep-it's battleship grey. What was I thinking ?!! My Refit needs a refit!
Still, I keep it around as is just to remind myself how far I've come over the years.

Anyway, seeing as how I've never had my own blog before, and this is as close as I'm likely to come at having one, I have taken the plunge.
Call it my way of giving back to the hobby after all it has given me.
Maybe in offering advice and instruction to those of you out there who would otherwise just sit there lurking I can encourage you to participate.
Get involved like I did.

This forum will only be as good as newbies make it, and it will only succeed if other experienced modellers choose to participate and chime in with valuable input derived from their own successes and failures at model construction.
Let's build something together shall we?

And remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question!
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Re: Welcome!

Post by MEATLOAFr » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:39 am

trekriffic wrote:
My name is trekriffic; although there be those that call me... Steve? ;)
That name always makes me remember the movie Multiplicity

trekriffic wrote: And remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question!
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

Return to “Newbie Modeler Help Desk”