Updating the original Three Ship set

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Updating the original Three Ship set

Post by TonyG2 »

Here's one I made earlier. A lot earlier. These were done without any of the published resources that we now enjoy and before internet access etc. I think the only sources I had were the Matcbox releases of the refit Enterprise from TMP and the K'Tinga class. And the Star Trek the Motion Picture photonovel and the 3D Viewmaster of TMP (yes I am showing my age)

A lot of work went into modifying the TOS Enterprise to the refit. Worst job was scratchbuilding the nacelles and getting them to look the same. I used a template and laminated sheets of styrene before sanding to shape.

The K'Tinga was a bit easier. Slimmed down the nacelles, raised the bridge tower, added impulse exhausts and rear photo torpedo tube. Masked off the hull plates and painted rather than cutting them from thin sheet styrene. By no means super detailed and accurate but I was happy with the results at the time.

As for the Romulan Bird of Prey? I suspect it made its way into the spares box. I had considered what an upgraded Romulan would look like in the TMP setting - maybe improve or enlarge the nacelles, extra weapons etc - but never went anywhere with it.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Updating the original Three Ship set

Post by trekriffic »

So these were made from the old 1/1400 scale Three Ship Set? You did a nice job on these considering the limited amount of reference material available at the time. The refit nacelles were made from scratch? Impressive.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

trekriffic wrote:So these were made from the old 1/1400 scale Three Ship Set? You did a nice job on these considering the limited amount of reference material available at the time. The refit nacelles were made from scratch? Impressive.
I concur.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Dr_Corsa
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Dr_Corsa »

Hi!

It was a 1/1600 scale kit from AMT/ERTL.

Michael
Genuine decals addicted
1/1400 scale modeller
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 »

Apologies, I hadn't noted the reference to 1/1400. Thanks to Dr Corsa for the update. I couldn't recall what the scale of the original 3 Ship set was.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

A very good job in my opinion!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “General Trek”