Pulled from Mothball: Rebuilding the fleet!

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Pulled from Mothball: Rebuilding the fleet!

Post by nova1972x »

About 10 years ago, I went to the Las Vegas Hilton to see Star Trek: The Experience. At the end, I had to stop through the gift shop, and I ended up buying a bunch of models, including 2 of AMT ERTL's 1:2500 Enterprise kits and combined, they included Enterprises 1701-1701-E. And they have sat, ever since. Recently, I started building models again, after a couple decade hiatus, save for several or so. I recently purchased a used Enterprise 1701, 1701-A, &1701-D flight kit (the one with the clear disk, instead of the godawful display stand), found several old 2500 connies from another kit I had in high school, and a few that I either bought from members here or received from Round 2.

So, here is the result. Still a ways to go, but the fleet is on the way! Hopefully, it won't have a tragic ending, like Wolf 359 :)

Old ships
new-ish ships

After assembly and painting

Painted with base coat (and more for some):

"Excelsior!" ~ Stan Lee
Constitution Wing

Ambassador class

Sovereign Class

Galaxy Wing
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Pulled from Mothball: Rebuilding the fleet!

Post by Moongrim »

Looks like you're well on the way!
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x »

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x »

So, it's been a while since I posted this thread. I have slowly been working on these ships, as well as getting new models and assembling them.

Here are some pics of the 1:2500 ships, most now with decals.
USS Enterprise, ISS Enterprise, USS Defiant, USS Constellation, USS Hood, USS Lexington
TOS Connies
Refit Connies
USS Enterprise, USS Enterprise-A, USS Constitution, USS Potemkin, USS Excalibur, USS Faragut
You'll notice these are not the best job, but I always have had trouble with ships these small. You'll also notice that for some of the refits, I actually used the TOS decals. I tried making them look like the Matt Jeffries refit Enterprise, before Probert tweaked it. In my mind I had backstories of these ships.

Shortly after being promoted to Admiral, and after Starfleet saw that the Constitution class ships were starting to show their age when the Federation lost a a handful of border skirmishes to the Klingons and Romulans, Admiral Kirk was put in charge of the Constitution Class refit project. First to be refit, was the Enterprise. Once that refit project was deemed a success, Admiral Kirk, selected more of the aging constitution class ships for refit.

Concurrent with the Enterprise refit project, the namesake of the class, USS Constitution was also refit. Unfortunately, while on a shakedown cruise, the USS Constitution suffered heavy damage and casualties, when it entered warp, and like the events of the USS Enterprise during the V'Ger incident, the Constitution also suffered from an antimatter imbalance and was caught in a wormhole effect, where it collided with an Antares Type Freighter. This resulted in shearing off one of its warp nacelles, the loss of 347 crew members, including its captain and first, second, and third officers, and the complete destruction of the freighter, the SS MacNally's Hope. The USS Constitution was eventually repaired, but due to irreparable structural damage, it was relegated to the status of a training ship.

The Excalibur, after having been nearly destroyed by the M5, sat in mothball for several years. Feeling a sense of responsibility as he was captain of the Enterprise at the time of the M5 incident, Admiral Kirk pulled her from mothball and slated the Excalibur for refit. Captained by Joseph April, son of the legendary Robert April, was the second youngest officer to attain the rank of captain in Starfleet history, after Admiral Kirk. The Excalibur saw 12 years of distinguished service before being decommissioned, having made first contact with 32 different species, and was victorious in 4 separate engagements with Romulan D7 battlecruisers.

The USS Farragut, one of Admiral Kirk's early postings was selected next for refit. Unfortunately, 3 months after her rechristening, the Farragut was destroyed in an ion storm, with the loss of all hands.

The USS Potemkin, which also had a distinguished history, was refit, and selected to be the UFP Presidential ship. Also known as Federation One, the Potemkin was outfitted with an experimental warp drive, which increased output by 33%,over its original configuration, and was able to sustain a maximum warp of 8.75 for 12 hours. It was outfitted with an additional 6 phaser banks more than a standard Constitution Class ship, and its interior was configured for diplomatic missions, with lavish quarters and amenities, unrivaled until the Galaxy class.
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x »

Here are some more 1:2500 ships:
Enterprise B & C, unnamed Excelsior refit, and unnamed Ambassador class:
Enterprise-D and other Galaxy class ships (likely will name the other USS Challenger, USS Galaxy, and USS Venture:

Enterprise-E: Started applying decals, and didn't like the look. Waiting on an Absolute model kit:
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x »

Here are some 1:1000 ships:

NX 01 Enterprise: I used German silver paint for the base coat. Sort of washed out in this pic.

USS Enterprise NCC 1701 (This was a pre-deco version I built a while back and posted a review about):

USS Defiant: I painted this using glow in the dark paint, to give off that freaky green glow, as seen in The Tholian Web, I still have yet to apply the decals.
Here are the rest, which I a still working on. These will represent each Constitution Class ship we actually see in episodes in TOS. This includes
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

That is a butt load of ships there. I seldom have more than one example of a type.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by shiftdel »

Impressive fleet, liked the side stories for the refits, very credible. When I start build again, I think I should do like you Nova, work in a bunch of ships simultaneously to speed up the process...

Anyway, congrats for your work, I specially like the presidential ship, good idea!
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x »

Tesral wrote:That is a butt load of ships there. I seldom have more than one example of a type.
LOL! I know I got carried away, didn't I? :)

It started out with the 1:2500 scales. I was first trying to restore the 1:2500 TOS and refit enterprises I had from years ago. I received a couple models from some fellow AST posters, and then started ordering a few more through the Round 2 parts department for a few more. Due to them sending the wrong Enterprise on one occasion, I ended up with a second complete Enterprise-B, too, which was a bit of serendipity.

Also, I really LOVE the 1:2500 Enterprise-D, which is my favorite 1:2500 model, starting off with one 3 piece kit, then a couple more. I think the 1:2500 Enterprise-D is the perfect size, and has great detailing, and with the with the Absolute Models decal kit, I think they just look awesome. I also had the ambassador class and sovereign class, and bought another ambassador. Before I knew it, I ended up with all those ships.

As for the 1:1000, I already had 3 connies (production Enterprise, Cage Enterprise, ISS Enterprise) that I had built 10 years ago, and decided to redo because I used the sticker decals, and painted them using non canon coloring. I also had the NX, which I recolored and decaled. Out of curiousity, I bought the pre-painted TOS 1:1000, and liked it so well, I bought a second, to create a cage version. So, I decided the older ships were going to be renamed. Between not being quite happy with how my 1:2500 connies turned out, rediscovering how fun and how great the 1:1000 TOS Enterprise looks, and renaming the older ships, I decided I wanted to build each Connie that appeared in the series. I really love that model, almost as much as the 1:2500 Enterprise-D.
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x »

shiftdel wrote:Impressive fleet, liked the side stories for the refits, very credible. When I start build again, I think I should do like you Nova, work in a bunch of ships simultaneously to speed up the process...

Anyway, congrats for your work, I specially like the presidential ship, good idea!
Thank you Shiftdel :)
I know the 1;2500 connies aren't that great,or detailed, but I've always had trouble with that size of ship. I did the base coat with rattle cans. It does help go faster when you build several and then paint it all at the same time. I chose Tamiya light gray AS2 for the base coat. Not accurate for some of those ships, but I wanted to make them all look like part of the same fleet.When I move into a bigger place, I'd like to get into airbrushing and redo them. I think they will turn out better, then.

As for the 1:1000 Connies, I am not using a base coat for any of them (except the Defiant), and leaving the hulls the natural plastic color, and just adding detailing color to the nacelles, deflector, and impulse engine, so that is why I was able to build them so fast. This is to remain consistent with the two pre-decorated ships, but one of these days I will redo them with airbrushing, so that I can get rid of those seams.

Return to “General Trek”