Revisit and restoration of old Trek models (PIC Heavy)

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
IndianaCook
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Revisit and restoration of old Trek models (PIC Heavy)

Post by IndianaCook »

**UPDATED PICTURE LINKS**

Hi again guys.
I realised that in my first post, restoring my 1:1400 Enterprise D, https://allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=3826 I'd mentioned which ships were in my collection that needed restoring, but I actually haven't shown you them in their current state!

So, while I'm taking a break from the restoration of my Enterprise-D (enforced break as I can't do anything else until payday) I figured I would photograph and show them to you :)

Hope you enjoy, sorry it's a bit of a long post, an I apologise in advance for letting these fine ladies end up in their current states...

I'll start with:

Polar Lights 1:350 Refit Enterprise

As you can see she mostly remains unbuilt, aside from the main body, most of the parts are still on the sprues

I'd ordered Acreation Models Aztecing for her and made a start applying the decals, and painting, but I was all over the place, no plan!! I think she was too much for me at the time :(

See, I thought I did a decent job with the body, but it is a poor poor attempt :cry:

She is still very much salvageable.

The plan for her now is:
* Remove the paint and decals
* Paint her PROPERLY
* Order new Aztecing and decals and apply
Her stand is still in its packet along with the poles that hold her up which I'm pretty pleased about, as she is some model and will need supporting!
I'm not sure whether to save her for last as I feel she will be the biggest challenge for me. I will see how the wind blows once I've finished with the-D :D

Revell USS Voyager - 1:677 (Released in 1995)

So I've had this one quite a while too. This is not the latest version with the added shuttlecraft, I wish I had them extras now :(
Maybe I will try and source them from somewhere, if anyone could help me with that it would be much appreciated. Anyway, I digress...
I think she was the first one I had a "proper" go at, and I was quite proud with the results. but, as with all my other models I neglected her and she's become damaged, not to the point of no return but still more than she should have been:

Her engines no longer stay in their down position and just droop and you can see where she is coming apart just below the aft torpedo bay. Also I still have the stand but as with my Ent-D unfortunately is busted and I did a poor job of reattaching it, causing some damage underneath.

Notice the damage just next to the phaser strip. I really am bad at remounting these things :roll:

The most awkward thing I can see on this is the fact that one of the thrusters is missing. Not sure how I'm gonna sort this :thinking:

The plan for her now is:
* Paint her PROPERLY
* Source a decent stand and mount her properly

USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E - 1:1400
So, there isn't much wrong here, other than her engines have fallen off and I've lost her stand :roll:

The plan for her now is:
* Reattach her engines
* Paint her PROPERLY

USS Enterprise NCC-1701-C - 1:1400
Again there is not much wrong with her, she could just be, well... better! The paint job is looking a little tired and the decals are yellowing!!

I think she needs some TLC thats all. I have spotted on Federation Models battle damage decals and I'm seriously tempted to get them and give her a little more character, like in "Yesterdays Enterprise". I'll also have to remove that stand!

* Paint her PROPERLY
* Order new Aztecing and decals and quite possibly the battle damaged decals and apply

USS Defiant - NX-74205 - 1:420

Not much really wrong here, a couple of pieces have come loose but nothing a good blob of glue will fix. I still have her stand and I quite like the paint job she has. I'll have to have a think about this one :thinking:

I think for now my plan might just be to repaint the stand...

No no, i've decided the plan for her now is:
* Paint her PROPERLY
* Order new decals and apply
* Paint the stand and mount her

Enterprise - NX-01 - 1:350
Out of all the ships I have made I think the fact that I neglected this one annoys me the most!! :angry:
Simply because I'd put a lot of effort in to it, I masked the ship of (using Aztec Dummy which wasn't cheap) and painted it!

:blownup:

Fortunately there is not much wrong with her other than a few pieces that have come off, and the "0" on "01" being scratched. I can sort that easy enough with the spare decal sheet I have from my 1:350 Refit :)

The only big thing that might be an issue is that one of the struts on the stand is gone :doh: dunno where too but it looks like I'm gonna have to remount it!
Also, the deflector dish appears to be damaged so I may source a new one. I'm sure i've seen one on Federation Models :thinking:

The plan for her now is:
* Reattach the missing pieces
* Source a new deflector dish

I also found the old stand for Miss-D...

Look at the state of it!! I really shouldn't be allowed to mount models :whistle:
But I was young and didn't know better. Please forgive me :innocent:

Anyway, thats it for now. Any tips, tricks or hints are greatly appreciated

Thanks for reading :)

LLAP \V/
Last edited by IndianaCook on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Long, and Prosper :vulcan:
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Revisit and restoration of old Trek models (PIC Heavy)

Post by trekriffic »

That's some great stuff to work with. As bad a condition as some of these are in now, you can still see evidence that you had some skills even back then. It's nice that you have a chance to revisit them and make them better than before... better... stronger... faster...

(Cue Six Million Dollar Man Theme)
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

I can help with some of those repairs

the 350 NX-01 - I can send the stand from mine (won't need it when I get to building mine)
Voyager - I can cast a RCS thruster cap for you a (just let me know which one)
Ambassador - If you need battle damage decals for you Ambassador I have a set I'm not using (also have a full sheet of the re-pops decals too, with damage decals)
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
IndianaCook
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by IndianaCook »

MEATLOAFr wrote:I can help with some of those repairs

the 350 NX-01 - I can send the stand from mine (won't need it when I get to building mine)
Voyager - I can cast a RCS thruster cap for you a (just let me know which one)
Ambassador - If you need battle damage decals for you Ambassador I have a set I'm not using (also have a full sheet of the re-pops decals too, with damage decals)
Oh my goodness MEATLOAFr are you sure? :o That would be amazing :) Would you like anything for them?
The thruster I have missing from Voyager is the back right thruster!
Thanks so much :)

Trekriffic, thanks for the kind words, I felt I was a very average modeller , compared to some of the amazing builds I've seen on here my offerings are very amateurish.
I've only been on this forum a few days though and I already feel like you guys will help me produce some great stuff! :rockout:
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Good jobs on the old ones That they've lasted so long says a lot.

I've never much cared for the stands they included in the old ships. Plastic just doesn't have the durability- as you've encountered.

Even Round 2 has been reissuing their stands with a metal dowel inserted into a hemispherical plastic. I take it one step further and use a metal rod (usually brass), inserted into a sanded/painted wooden block. (Usually a fence post top available from a Gardening store.)
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
IndianaCook
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by IndianaCook »

I've found a couple of lovely stands that I will hopefully buy in the (very) near future.
The first is this: https://tshobbies.com/uss-enterprise-d-1-1400/ for the Ent-D
and then there's: https://tshobbies.com/uss-enterprise-c-yamaguchi-stand/ for the Ent-C.

There appears to be just them 2 for models for now. The others available are for Diamond Select versions of ships.

Hopefully the Ent-C will look the part on this once I apply those battle damaged decals too ;) I've always felt very "Meh" towards her... she needs lovin' too

I am going to do my very best remounting the others... wish me luck!
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

I wish you- GOOD Luck.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
IndianaCook
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by IndianaCook »

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Moongrim wrote: Even Round 2 has been reissuing their stands with a metal dowel inserted into a hemispherical plastic. I take it one step further and use a metal rod (usually brass), inserted into a sanded/painted wooden block. (Usually a fence post top available from a Gardening store.)
I'm sticking with my Plexiglas stands with a brass rod. Last year my Dad gave me a huge piece of quarter inch plex. I have stands for a good long time.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Plexiglass is a good option too.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “General Trek”