1984 AMT-ERTL TOS Enterprise 1/650

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

1984 AMT-ERTL TOS Enterprise 1/650

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

I hope you don't think me presumptuous in posting another build, but I wanted to post a few beauty shots of a build I completed in February. This is the model that started me back in the model building niche last year after nearly 4 decades of non-participation.

Okay, so there is a story to tell about THIS particular model of the Enterprise that I am building. My daughter knows I am a Star Trek nut so she bought me this model so I could build it. What she didn't know, maybe, is that I have been looking for this model for 30 years! Every time I would go into Hobby stores, I would look for this model to no avail. Searching online yielded over-priced knockoffs. This one she found for $8! When she sent it home with my son and his wife after their visit, I was overjoyed and nervous at the same time. I went on a model building studying spree because I wanted to do this right and because of this awesome gift from my duaghter! When I found another set I bought it because, just in case I messed something up I could have a backup fix. I really enjoyed myself with this and plan Many more builds!

To be sure, this is the first one I have done in a very long time. Granted, I did spend 15 years in Dental Laboratory training in making and putting together small things so that experience helped a bit. When I put this together, I didn't know there was an after-market parts industry, so everything here is OOB; albeit with some heavy modifications. I followed the Round2 paint scheme and constantly referenced the Remastered version of the Enterprise as this was the most readily available source material at the time. I also used Round2's decals as they were in better condition than those in the box.

I am rather proud of the formation lights, they're made of clear sprue material and painted with clear colored paint. One thing that I would like to change is the B/C deck; I should have softened the angles and appearance of it. But it is done and it was a labor of love, remembrance and a steep learning curve.

And I enjoyed every minute of it!

I hope you enjoy the end result.

Thanks for looking!

Steve

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: 1984 AMT-ERTL TOS Enterprise 1/650

Post by Moongrim »

A mighty fine looking ship! Nicely done up. 8-)

And a shameless plug for one of the better aftermarket part makers- JTGraphics: https://www.jt-graphics.com/P_RP.html
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

She's absolutely gorgeous. I wish that my finished models could get as nice as this!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Moongrim - Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I've discovered JTGraphics and others and have already purchased the necessary parts to make a more accurate 18" TOS Enterprise version. Although, I plan to make use of Shaw's branding decals, I'll probably need to order the windows from JTGraphics. :D

NCC1966 - Thanks! I was really worried that I wouldn't measure up to the standards of the community as this was my first time out! I appreciate your encouragements!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:NCC1966 - Thanks! I was really worried that I wouldn't measure up to the standards of the community as this was my first time out! I appreciate your encouragements!
There is not any "standard" here. Just a bunch of old nerds that enjoy to build small plastic ships!

:lol:
Thanks,

Yan.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

NCC1966 wrote:
MSgtUSAFRet wrote:NCC1966 - Thanks! I was really worried that I wouldn't measure up to the standards of the community as this was my first time out! I appreciate your encouragements!
There is not any "standard" here. Just a bunch of old nerds that enjoy to build small plastic ships!

:lol:
i concur.

We appreciate just about any honest effort on Star Trek ships. And yours is indeed quite good one.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Thank you, Gentlemen!

I sincerely appreciate the encouragements!

Steve
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Aye! She's dead sexy!
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

trekriffic wrote:Aye! She's dead sexy!
For some reason, I hear that in a heavy Scottish accent!

Thanks, Steve!

uhm...

Steve :lol:
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:
trekriffic wrote:Aye! She's dead sexy!
For some reason, I hear that in a heavy Scottish accent!

Thanks, Steve!

uhm...

Steve :lol:
Unfortunately the Scottish accent I hear is from another franchise... :roll:

If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!

Return to “General Trek”