1974 AMT Longbox V6 TOS Enterprise Restoration

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

1974 AMT Longbox V6 TOS Enterprise Restoration

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Hi, Everybody!

I've only been on this forum for a week or so and thought I would post 1 of 2 completed models I have done. I recently (last year about this time) got back into modeling and have throughly enjoyed myself! Interestingly, it is with
my second build that I make my first entry! ;D

This is a restoration project I took on from my older brother. The model, I think, is a Long Box V6, but, from the look of the Nacelle attachments, it looks like it could be a V4 not sure. The instructions list it as an S951603.
My brother did this build some decades ago and, after years of neglect and harsh summers, he wants me to try and restore the model. He gave it to me while on Christmas holiday 2015.

I used a variety of methods to restore and recontour the secondary hull as it had suffered the most damage. Since this was an attempt to make it as OOB as possible, I didn’t do any heavy modifications to the model to make it a production accurate model, but more of a reminder of the AMT kit itself.

I did have to repair/replace the Warp Nacelle attachment tabs as they were broken off inside the Secondary Hull and I had to use Round2 replacements of the Final Stage Intercoolers as they were missing entirely! On this build/restore, I also used Nail Liquid and Nail Powder to recreate contours and parts for the build.

All in all, it was a fun build – full of frustrations, challenges and, I hope you will agree, triumphs!

Here are a few before pictures:

And here are some beauty shots of the final product:
Image20160515_144034

Image20160515_144150_001

Image20160515_144212

Image20160515_144413

Image20160515_144439

Image20160515_144539

Image20160515_144712

Image20160515_144732

Image20160515_144809

Image20160515_144953

Image20160515_145453

Image20160515_202841

Image20160515_145319

Image20160515_144905

I would also like to send out a very special thanks to David Shaw for allowing me access to his overwhelming body of research and documentation for the 1966 AMT TOS Enterprise. His analysis was exacting and well done! The decals, to which he provided free access and use, were vital to my restoration effort and, undoubtedly, played a integral role in the beauty of the final product! Thank you very much, sir! May your tribe increase!

Thanks for looking!

As always, any comments or inputs are greatly appreciated!

Steve
Last edited by MSgtUSAFRet on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: 1974 AMT Longbox V6 TOS Enterprise Restoration

Post by NCC1966 »

What to say? This is a hell of an awesome resto! Congratulations!

:shock:

Your build has inspired me (and will serve as a great reference) for the build of my 1:1000 TOS kit that arrived just yesterday!

:)

EDITED: There is a discrepancy in this build though. As far as I know these nacelles can't be found on any TOS Enterprise version. The dotted rear is present on the nacelles with spiked fronts (pilot movie). Now the production series ship has the bald front nacelles and the rear with a big dome instead the dots (holes). To make your model more accurate you should consider to add spikes in the front of both nacelles turning it into a genuine "pilot movie" model!

;)
Last edited by NCC1966 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thanks,

Yan.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

Fantastic restoration. Well done.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Wow! Quite a contrast between the before and after shots. Well done!
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Wow! Thanks, Guys! I appreciate the comments!

@NCC1966 - Thanks a bunch! I did want to try and stay as OOB as possible and spikes would have been an add-on or a mod - and I really had to resist those urges! :) I look forward to your build!

@Defiant Client - Thanks!

@Trekriffic - Thanks! I was kinda surprised it turned out so nice!

Thanks again, guys!

Steve
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:@NCC1966 - Thanks a bunch! I did want to try and stay as OOB as possible and spikes would have been an add-on or a mod - and I really had to resist those urges! :) I look forward to your build!
And it doesn't diminish in NOTHING your build! Your ship still will be my main reference as she is simply stunning!

Thanks,

Yan.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

NCC1966 wrote:
EDITED: There is a discrepancy in this build though. As far as I know these nacelles can't be found on any TOS Enterprise version. The dotted rear is present on the nacelles with spiked fronts (pilot movie). Now the production series ship has the bald front nacelles and the rear with a big dome instead the dots (holes). To make your model more accurate you should consider to add spikes in the front of both nacelles turning it into a genuine "pilot movie" model!

;)
The very early model had that. It was changed in the redesign of the model that got rid of the awful mortise and wedge nacelle "locks".
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Tesral wrote:
NCC1966 wrote:

;)
The very early model had that. It was changed in the redesign of the model that got rid of the awful mortise and wedge nacelle "locks".
Well, I really don't think so. I checked online for references and couldn't find any ship with this characteristics. There is not any ship with nacelles with dotted rear AND bald front. The version with such nacelle type of rear had an spike in the front of it. I would be glad that you tell me a single TOS episode where such ship version you mention show up (any other Constitution class ship that is not Enterprise is acceptable).

Last edited by NCC1966 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks,

Yan.
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

It is a beautiful model, and I hope your brother appreciates the quality of the work you put into it. It is one of the best long box examples I know of.

And seeing the quality of your restoration job makes me wish the original 18 inch studio model (now in the collection of Paul Allen) was given the same level of TLC...

Thank you for providing us with a magnificent window into the past. There are so few idealized (unmodified) versions of this model out there, it is wonderful to see it at it's best.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

NCC1966 wrote:The very early model had that. It was changed in the redesign of the model that got rid of the awful mortise and wedge nacelle "locks".
Well, I really don't think so. I checked online for references and couldn't find any ship with this characteristics. There is not any ship with nacelles with dotted rear AND bald front. The version with such nacelle type of rear had an spike in the front of it. I would be glad that you tell me a single TOS episode where such ship version you mention show up (any other Constitution class ship that is not Enterprise is acceptable).

:)[/quote]

Not on screen, on Model.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “General Trek”