AMT\ERTL 1:537 Enterprise-A and 1:2500 Enterprise-D (w\pics)

Share what you're working on, or your finished kit here. Friendly and constructive feedback assured!
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: AMT\ERTL 1:537 Enterprise-A and 1:2500 Enterprise-D (w\p

Post by nova1972x » Thu May 12, 2016 11:53 pm

OK so the Enterprise D is done, and I did paint it with a clear coat. I settled on a basic decal set, as well as a large Polar lights dome stand.

I am definitely not an expert builder by any means. This is my first attempt in many, many years! I lost track how many, maybe over 20? Anyway, here it is...

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear » Fri May 13, 2016 1:00 am

You may not be an expert but that is still a very nice job. The stand looks interesting, where did you get the top part (the Polar Lights style ball joint)? And is it permanently fixed to the model?
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x » Fri May 13, 2016 2:35 am

Drop_Bear wrote:You may not be an expert but that is still a very nice job. The stand looks interesting, where did you get the top part (the Polar Lights style ball joint)? And is it permanently fixed to the model?
Thank you for saying that :) Much appreciated.

The ball joint came with the stand (http://www.amazon.com/Large-Dome-Base-P ... ge_o01_s00 ). What I ended up doing was take my mini drill, and creating a hole on the bottom of the Enterprise model. I probably didn't pick the best spot, because the model is forward heavy, and the ball joint would cause it to tip forward. So, I glued ball joint in place on the model, as well as the joint itself (I know it defeats the purpose, but only way it seemed to stay).

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear » Fri May 13, 2016 3:19 am

Ah. That's the first I have seen of the large dome base. I understand the trouble you had fitting it. I used one of the universal dome bases on a Galaxy myself recently.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x » Fri May 13, 2016 6:24 pm

Well that model didn't have a way to mount it to that type of display stand. It was originally part of this kit, which had a weird stand

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x » Mon May 16, 2016 12:48 am

So here is the progress on the 1:537 Enterprise-A.

Painted it with Testor's camouflage gray as the base coat. Then once the detail painting was done, shot it with a clear coat.

Getting ready to decal the hard to ready to decal the hard to reach spots, before final assembly.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x » Thu May 26, 2016 2:23 am

Update on the Enterprise-D:
My girlfriend's cousin is a long time Star Trek TNG fan, so I gifted that model to him. He really was stoked! He placed it on his book shelf when he got home.

Update on the Enterprise-A:

OK So I have placed the decals on both the saucer, and the secondary hull. What a bear! Also, I know the paint job isn't movie accurate, more like my "interpretation" of what I see when I watch the movies. Sort of a quasi-grayscale I suppose? I drew inspiration from Cubey's for sure, although his is far superior! Cubey has some mad skills!
http://allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1524

This one is actually the same as above, just flipped upside down (just like filming the real one in the movies! :) )

The final step will be to decal and attach the warp engines to the secondary hull, and I think I'm done with this model.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient » Thu May 26, 2016 2:55 am

Such fantastic progress. Glad some of my old parts are getting some use. Or part? I'm assuming you only used the impulse Engine from the Saucer I sent you.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x » Thu May 26, 2016 3:13 am

DefiantClient wrote:Such fantastic progress. Glad some of my old parts are getting some use. Or part? I'm assuming you only used the impulse Engine from the Saucer I sent you.
Well I never could get the impulse engine off. It was just glued on way too tight. But I did use the saucer windows, which I was missing. So that helped out quite a bit! Thank you :)

Since I needed the deflector dish piece, I ordered this kit from federationmodels.com, which also came with the missing impulse engines:

And speaking of impulse, as in impulse buys, I ended up buying another 1:537 Enterprise Kit from ebay for $27 shipped (did it mostly because the price was low, and I did need a stand, after all), right after I bought the federation model kit.

Who knows, I may build that model, and used the polar lights large dome stand for that one. If I get really froggy, I may even try my hand at installing some LED strips for lighting.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient » Thu May 26, 2016 3:27 am

That's great. So glad those windows were salvagable. I used to have the DLM accurate parts kit with most of them pretty much ready to assemble, but that got lost in a move.

Return to “Newbie Gallery”