Newbie Contest FAQ

If you're brand spanking new or fall in the "basic/beginner" skill level, this is for you. This contest is closed.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Newbie Contest FAQ

Post by Xen »

Q: How do I join this contest?
A: Go to the Newbie Contest Roll Call thread and simply add your name. You will then be added to a special group allowing you access.

Q: Does it cost anything?
A: No. Entry is completely free.

Q: How does it work?
A: Each participant will start one "work in progress" thread. That will act as a mini blog, where you can add pictures of the kit you are building, along with comments. Please check the Rules thread for more information.

Q; When does the contest start?
A: It starts as soon as you sign up and are given access. At that point you may start by posting the first entry of your WIP thread in the Contest Entries section

Q: When does it end?
A: The contest will end in May. Updates will be added to the Rules thread, in addition to the Newbie Contest section.

Q: I'm not sure if I'm a "newbie". How do I know if I'm eligible to join?
A: If you're new to model making or feel you have basic skills, that's more or less the same thing. The idea is to get folks with the same skill level competing in a fun and easy contest.

Q: What can ships can I use?
A; You can use any Star Trek model that is made from Styrene (like Round 2) or resin (like a garage kit).

Q: What does OOB or Out Of Box mean?
A: OOB means you build what is contained within the original packaging. No modifications, with the exception of new decals.

Q: What do you mean by "anything goes"?
A: It means anything is allowed when it comes to painting. You can use "canon"/traditional colors, something a little different or a completely wild non-canon, paint scheme.

Q: What does "canon" and "non-canon" mean?
A: Canon means your model is as close to the TV/Film version as possible. Non-canon is something different to what you've seen. Your own interpretation. What you think would look good.

Q: I don't want other people to copy/steal my idea. Can I wait until others have posted?
A: You can do, but whether you're first or last won't make a difference. All entries will be judged on quality and how much time you invest in your work in progress thread. The more pics and information (such as a backstory), the better your chances of winning.

Q: I've seen the amazing work folks have done. What if people laugh at my work or give me a hard time?
A: I'm certain no one would do that. This is one of the most newbie-friendly places online. If you don't believe me, have a look around. :)

Return to “2014 AST Newbie Model and Miniature Contest (Closed)”