1:650 Surya Class (final pics page 5)

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: 1:650 Surya Class

Post by Lonewolf »

I'm still plugging away. The nacelles have been attached with Aves, and they're sitting aside to dry/cure for the next 24 hours.

I'll try to get some photos posted tomorrow. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not an oncoming D-7!
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Nacelles are attached, rear fins are in place, forward panels (the three plates on the bottom of each nacelle) are attached, and I have to assemble the intercooler. After that, I just have to attach the phaser emitters and I'm pretty much done. So, depending on how stuff goes this afternoon (have some stuff to do around the house), I might be priming tonight. More likely is tomorrow night.

I'll get photos posted today. I just have to get them uploaded to Photobucket.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Okay . . . here we go!

I had to put some weight on top of the main hull to get the pylon/nacelle joint tight.

Nacelles attached and aft fins are now in place.

A closer view.

Aft view.

Plates on the underside of the Bussard domes.

Upper phaser emplacements done.

Test fit of the stand - Port Bow view.

Prime time!

I have left the intercoolers off to allow for painting the inner grilles. Tonight I have some cleanup work to do around the ship, mostly sanding down some glue blobs, then a second primer coat. I hope to get started with actual painting tomorrow night.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Small update, because I'm at work and on my lunch hour.

The base color is Polly Scale Concrete. I've wanted to use it on a Star Trek build for a while, because it has that "gray with a hint of green" thing that's mentioned in the Paul Newitt Starfleet Assembly Manual. I need to do a little cleanup on pylon/nacelle seams, but that won't take too long tonight.

I've done some detail painting in Tamiya Sky Gray since these photos were taken on Wednesday, so the project is a bit further along.

I also managed to get my decals printed this week, and need to seal them with either MicroScale Decal Film or Future tonight so I can let them cure before I need to start working with them.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Working on detail painting, and I ran into a problem with the kit-supplied decals. I put a coat of Microscale Decal Film over the top of them, and the red decals ran like they were in a marathon. Major color bleed all over. Luckily, I'd scanned the decals at high resolution for use in text-size matching, so I printed a new sheet on fresh decal paper at work. Gotta put an airbrushed coat of Future on those tonight.

In the future, I'll just scan and re-print my McDaniel's decals. I don't know if it was the age of the paper or what, but I've never had aftermarket decals run when I've applied Decal Film.

The inboard nacelle grilles have been painted, as have the Bussard domes, end caps, shuttlebay doors, bridge dome and planetary sensor array. The only main component I have left to paint are the phasers, aside from the navigational lights. Then I can do paint touch-ups, seal the ship with Future, and get started with decal application. I am trying to get the painting done tonight and tomorrow night, seal with Future on Thursday, and start decal work on Friday night. A couple marathon decal sessions over the weekend and I should be done.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Love this! Now you've got me wanting to make one of these for myself. Might try doing one in 1/1000, I have about 4 of the 1/1000 TOS Enterprise kits on the shelf.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Some teaser photos . . .

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Hey it's the silver/clear red trick for the Bussards!
trekriffic wrote:Love this! Now you've got me wanting to make one of these for myself.
Luckily, I already have a Surya, but I know what you mean. Fantastic work, Rich!
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

el gato wrote:Hey it's the silver/clear red trick for the Bussards!
Yup! I've never tried it before, so I figured "What the heck!" Turned out better than I thought it would. I did a test on some scrap styrene, and was trying to decide between Chrome Silver or Dark Copper as the color under the Clear Red.

Thanks for the kind words! :D
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I prefer copper, but it's your model, your rules, your universe. They came out great. Pictures never do it justice
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”