1/2500 Lighted TOS Enterprise Diorama WITHDRAWN

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/2500 Lighted TOS Enterprise Diorama

Post by slawton » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:39 am

Here's a couple of pics (pre-cleanup) of a partially assembled but unglued kit:

I still have some work to do to better align the windows and make them look rectangular (I did not want to risk breaking the drill bit)

I had not sanded off the surface detail for the windows, hoping they would help me better place the windows, but they are not all accurate.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:53 am

Since I'll be investing in electrical/lighting tools & supplies, I intend to do all of the 1/2500 builds with lighting following the MIS contest:

1701 A-E
Reliant
Klingon D7 & K'tinga
Romulan BoP
Defiant (when its released)
Galor (when its released)
Saratoga (when its released)

I'll need to do similar research as I did for the TOS (kit discrepancies, accurate coloring & detailing).

Introduction

Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:22 pm

I think the Reliant is gonna be kinda tough. There's not a lot of space inside the hull.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:11 pm

I haven't made an update in a while -- I've been working 60 hour weeks since the beginning of August (but this is my last week of these extra hours). I was hoping to scramble and get the project completed by the due date, but I'll have to overcome some hurdles.

I recently got in an order from Ngineering for electronics. Included are circuit boards for the blinking navigation beacons on the primary hull saucer and some LED chasers I was planning to use for the nacelle light effects. While I knew the blinking circuit board would probably be too big to fit inside the model, I wasn't too concerned because it would only be a couple of wires. The LED chaser boards are really small, so I was hoping to fit them into the nacelles and/or possibly the secondary engineering section. They definitely won't fit inside the nacelles (bummer), but even squeezing them into the engineering section might pose some issues with lighting/wiring. I'll include some pictures when I get a chance.

Another option is to put them into the saucer, but then there would be a lot of wires going through the neck & support pylons.

My thinking going into this project is that the TOS Enterprise would be a good candidate for a 1st lighting model due to smaller number of windows. However, the small size combined with the lighting effects for both the navigation lights & nacelles make this more challenging than I had first thought. A better choice would have been either a small kit with few lights and no effects (such as Klingon D7/Romulan BoP) or a larger kit with more available internal space (like Enterprise B/C).

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Here's the larger circuit board to blink the navigation beacons:

Here's the smaller LED chaser circuit board:

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:37 pm

As you can see in the previous pics, the boards could be squeezed into the primary/secondary hulls (unfortunately not the nacelles). I only anticipated minimal fiber optics (nacelles & navigation beacons), the rest would be internal reflection lighting through light diffusers.

However, putting the boards inside the hull would potentially be light blocking and/or the internally wiring would be a rats nest. I still need to figure out how much space the LEDs (even micro/nano sized) would require. I've been out of school to long -- can't figure out this geometry. :doh:

I'll need to work fast to meet the deadline. :eek:

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:55 pm

A few thoughts come to mind:
  • Remove model plastic and make circuit board part of model surface
    Sand down sides of circuit boards to make smaller/rounder
    Paint circuit board white for internal reflection
Is it feasible? Has anyone done anything like this before? Any other suggestions/ideas?

Introduction

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:32 pm

I just don't see how you could get those boards inside such a small model. One of the reasons I never bothered lighting my 1/2500 ships. Maybe you could light the Ent C, D, or E but the others are just so dang small.
I don't know whether to applaud or pity you for even attempting this.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Here's a blurry picture of the LED chaser circuit board on the front of the secondary hull (I was hoping it could sit behind the deflector dish) plus the blinking board inside the primary saucer hull (my first hope that it would fit internally):

In case you were wondering, even though the larger circuit board square is small enough to fit inside the saucer circle, it is too thick (with components on top of the board) to snap the saucer together (even with maximum sanding of the inside):

Introduction

cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by cannon fodder » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:43 pm

Only suggestion i have is pit the led's in the model, use zip ties to bundle the wires or tape even, and put the boards in the base.

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”