1/2500 Lighted TOS Enterprise Diorama WITHDRAWN

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/2500 Lighted TOS Enterprise Diorama

Post by slawton » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:22 pm

This is the color scheme for the Polar Lights 1/1000 scale (to me a lot more accurate than the original AMT colors):

Overall: Light Ghost Gray
Nacelle Caps: Stoplight Red Metallic
Nacelle Endcaps: Gunship Gray
Nacelle Accents: Dark Ghost Gray
Deflector Dish: Copper
Deflector Antenna: Chrome Silver
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:26 pm

I absolutly agree, I love light ghost grey for the TOS.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:55 pm

I've used duck egg blue as base, with either grey primer or white primer underneath. I like them both. The grey primer will give the DEB a slightly darker, greyer shade than the white primer. The reason I like white primer a little more is that it gives the DEB color a slight blueish shade. Not quite white, not quite blue, not quite grey, not quite slight shade of green. This is how I saw the color of the E in syndication: Its appearance varied depending on the lighting.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:39 pm

I prefer light ghost grey to duck egg blue just because that's what I've always seen on TV. Well, light grey or white, depending on how washed out the effects shot was on screen. Also, I never saw Star Trek in colour until the mid-80s, so any colour at all still seems a bit weird. I had no idea the uniforms weren't grey until I saw a comic book and was extremely confused by the garish red, blue, and yellow shirts. So for any hull colour, I tend towards the greys.

My TOS Enterprise turned out darker grey. I think if I were to do it again, I'd go with a much lighter shade of grey.

Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:19 pm

I usually use a lightened version of Light Ghost Gray for my 1:1000 ships. For my 1:2500 kits, I've been using a custom mixture of Tamiya Sky Gray lightened with a bit of Flat White. The general rule that I've read is the smaller the scale, the lighter the paint needed to maintain the optical illusion.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:30 am

Lonewolf wrote:The general rule that I've read is the smaller the scale, the lighter the paint needed to maintain the optical illusion.
My understanding is that this applies to naval ships, maybe planes. It is based on the fact that objects at a distance are slightly obscured (clouded, whiter) due to water vapor in the air - the farther away (smaller the scale), the greater the effect (whitening). I am unsure if this would truly apply to spacecraft (no atmosphere/water vapor). How do others feel about this?

I am researching the color based on others posts/builds, the real model used in filming and screenshots. This can be a moving target since the model changed quite a bit during the series and afterwards. I think someone had posted that the color used was a discontinued automotive color that essentially boiled down to Duck Egg Blue. When I reach that point in this build, I'll disclose the colors I've used.

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:54 am

It'll be a little while before I am there, but there are a number of subtle tweaks to the standard paint/decals that others have noted, including:

Panel Lines (very light, hard to discern on screen)
Dirt/rust ring (slight discoloration on top of saucer around large bulge area)
Rings around nacelles & secondary hull
Weathering (dirty streaks starting at front of ships fading towards the back) - do these occur at panel lines?
Possible pre-shading (variations in color from paint undercoats slightly bleeding through)

Any other tips/tricks that others know about?

Introduction

Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:17 am

The alleged "actual" color of the filming model was a light gray with a hint of green.

http://culttvman.com/main/what-color-is ... -m-newitt/

"Here are the much anticipated paint specs for the “The Original Series” Enterprise, based on research provided by Richard C. Datin, the original builder of the 3′ (33in) and 11ft. (4x) filming miniatures, in late 1964.

These samples, and subsequent paint formulas are based on the only known remaining sample, which is an overspray “splatter” on the backside of one of the original Enterprise drawings.In part two, Richard Datin states: “Jeffries also furnished paint chips, for which I had lacquer-based paint custom-matched by a Fuller’s Paint dealer on Olympic Blvd. in Los Angeles”…..”it was not a Ford or GM paint or primer as some “learned” souls have decried. It was a flat finish–a light grey color with a light tint of green.”"
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:26 am

Thanks Lonewolf on the color info. Colors, especially gray, can show up very differently based on lighting, etc. on film.

I'm long overdue for an update. I've drilled over 100 holes (I had no idea there would be so many) on the primary hull, secondary hull and neck. Still need to do some cleanup work. I'm still waiting for SMD LEDs for lighting. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

I plan to have a limited number of optical fibers (at a minimum will need some for the blinking navigation beacons) because most of the lighting is diffuse on the screen (as opposed to the bright light emitting directly out of the optical fiber). The windows will be lit from a diffuse source with internal reflections, which means I will likely need additional LEDs to achieve adequate brightness. I'll use electrical tape, tin foil or other light blocker for the unlit windows. I'll likely widen the pylons for the nacelles and hollow out the neck to pass wiring through.

Introduction

Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:35 am

You are quite welcome!

Folks have been arguing for years as to what the "true" color of the Enterprise was. One big factor has been the variable involved with the studio lighting that was used while filming the model. There was also the use of the "blue screen" behind the model, which reflected some amount of blue light onto the filming model as well.

I've considered using PollyScale Concrete on a model, just to see how it would look. It's basically a light gray with a touch of green. I haven't tried it yet, but I might at some point.

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”