1/2500 Lighted TOS Enterprise Diorama WITHDRAWN

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/2500 Lighted TOS Enterprise Diorama

Post by slawton » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:49 pm

@el gato: I definitely planned to reference your build, but I was thinking of putting the link in around the time I would be discussing painting (not lighting). However, a lot of the kit observations/clean-up had been done for your build so it probably would have been a good idea to reference your build in that area of the post.

As for the nacelles, I am not sure how to achieve the tapering (simply sand more off the rear, add styrene/putty to the front, attempt to stretch the curve more open at the front, etc.) or the air gap (attempt to exacto out the middle, cut it off & replace with appropriately gauged & bent wire, etc.). I'll likely remove the dome entirely & replace with custom build (to make it round, eliminate middle seem/light leakage and possibly add starburst vanes for the lighting effect).

For the decals, I have some from all the various sets & maybe some of the aftermarket ones (although I don't have the Absolute Models decals). I'll decide closer to when I get there.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:04 pm

slawton wrote:I plan to use the thinnest wire I can find and use thicker gauge for the edges (as suggested by el gato). I'd love to use fine mesh, but I doubt I can find it in the shape of triangles. I believe it should be able to support itself -- geodesic domes are supposed to be very sturdy.
Geodesic domes are incredibly sturdy, but if I'm not mistaken, they work because: 1) the individual segments resist compression and bending as well as tension, and 2) they are arranged in a way that the triangles reinforce each other to prevent movement. Using triangles without the dome structure won't necessarily result in a sturdy structure.

Regarding point 1, thin, flexible wire is great for tension, but I suspect it's not usable as a compression structure. You may want to build a large geodesic frame using thicker steel spokes, and string thin wire between those in a smaller triangle pattern. If your supporting wire bends, it won't work in a geodesic arrangement.

I'm sure you've already considered all this. I just like typing it out to make myself seem clever. :D

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:43 pm

slawton wrote:As for the nacelles, I am not sure how to achieve the tapering (simply sand more off the rear, add styrene/putty to the front, attempt to stretch the curve more open at the front, etc.) or the air gap (attempt to exacto out the middle, cut it off & replace with appropriately gauged & bent wire, etc.).

I couldn't figure out how to do those changes either. There are too many variables. The end cap is slightly larger than the back of the nacelle, so you'd be forced to scratch new caps if you were to remove material from the nacelle. Not to mention you'd need to remove the rear details. Adding material to the front means you'd have to recreate new Bussard Dome clamps (not necessarily a bad thing since detail is lacking) and find larger domes that will fit the new diameter. But you'd have to find a way to integrate the new material with the indented warp grill. You'd also have to be careful not to end with JJprise-like nacelles by adding too much material.
slawton wrote:I'll likely remove the dome entirely & replace with custom build (to make it round, eliminate middle seem/light leakage and possibly add starburst vanes for the lighting effect).
Seems prudent. For what you're attempting to do it might be better to find something else that works rather than trying to fix or improve those domes. Too bad that those plastic eggs that you get in gumball machines don't come in a smaller size. Those would be perfect. Perhaps opalescent beads?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:55 am

I've been thinking about the nacelle domes and lighting. To achieve the frosted transparency, I considered using soda lid material and reshaping it to a dome with a process like vacu-forming, possibly gently heating it until it becomes soft and pressing a dome/ball shaped object to achieve the desired shape.

For the lighting pattern, I did a cursor search for LED dot matrix displays, but could not find really small ones - certainly not circular. I may need to create my own -- very fine/delicate work.

Any thoughts?

Introduction

indianatheshepherd
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by indianatheshepherd » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:30 am

slawton wrote:
As for lighting, I think we need to blame indianatheshepherd for this madness in small scale kits (I was happy to believe it was impossible, until he did it -- or was it really just photoshop'd?). I had thought the TOS E would be a good choice since it had relatively few windows -- but it is so small and the lighting effect on the nacelles is unique.
I may have started the 1/2500 lighting madness, but I think harristotle perfected it... in any case, he definitely ran with it. My first lighted 1/2500 model was actually a Ent-D build http://allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=434. But for all my models, I've kept it simple and didn't attempt any accuratizing, or much, if any, modifications (other than the lighting itself).

I've been MIA lately as life has taken time away from modeling, but I do check in now and again to keep up on all the great work you all are posting on here. Keep it up! :D

I'd really like to get back to that D'deridex model, but alas, it sits in stasis waiting for my return

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:37 pm

slawton wrote:I've been thinking about the nacelle domes and lighting. To achieve the frosted transparency, I considered using soda lid material and reshaping it to a dome with a process like vacu-forming, possibly gently heating it until it becomes soft and pressing a dome/ball shaped object to achieve the desired shape.

For the lighting pattern, I did a cursor search for LED dot matrix displays, but could not find really small ones - certainly not circular. I may need to create my own -- very fine/delicate work.

Any thoughts?
Yeah, you'd have to create the domes because I can't think of anyone who makes replacement domes of that size. Maybe there is someone who offers solid pieces cast in red, but that wouldn't help you with what you're trying to achieve. Zookman attempted to create 2500 Bussard domes with running fans, but I'm unsure how far he got.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:14 pm

i got the right size motors but they turn way too fast .. need something to either slow them down or some that only turn at like 3 - 4 rpm maybe a bit more but not much maybe up to 20-30 rpm ..

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:12 am

I believe the motors at this scale, especially with concurrent multiple lights, are beyond my current abilities. I am thinking about chasing lights in a circle in addition to some randomly blinking lights to emulate the nacelle dome lighting - not perfect but doable.

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:26 am

I also have to plan the painting early on this build, so I'm trying to get this as accurate as possible. I have the 1/2500 version and the 1st PL 1/1000 version. Does anyone have larger scale kits paint color guides? If so, can you send me a picture?

Also, I am not sure I understand some of the shading/line references for this ship. I have seen some builds where the undercoats has black/dark bands or lines that were painted over with a light color. Some of this would bleed through to achieve a desired effect?

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:30 pm

This is the coloring scheme from the old 1/2500 Scale AMT instructions:

Overall: Semigloss White
Nacelle Caps: Red or Red Orange
Nacelle Endcaps: Black