Miranda Class (final pics pages 6 and 7)

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: Miranda Class

Post by Moongrim » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Cool decals, but I am running into an issue with the decals for the saucer section. For anyone who has used these decals before, was it necessary to cut out each individual panel section (per triangle) or can it be applied as the whole triangle section.

For me, individual panel section was the way to go for the minimal bubbles and distortion.

A two dimensional image applied to a three dimensional surface. You're going to get distortion I'm afraid.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

ulvdemon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by ulvdemon » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:38 pm

I was able to get an answer from the designer of the decal set ... they need to be cut. With all of those sections, who knows when this will be done. :?

ulvdemon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by ulvdemon » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Applied most of the decals for the bottom section, rollbar and sides of the model.

Ran into issues with the ink dissolving on the decals. Unknown as to the way, some worked fine some didn't. Easy fix since I have left over wedges from my Enterprise Refit that I can still pieces from as needed. yet still perplexing. :?:

MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by MEATLOAFr » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:46 pm

were the decals sealed with anything? maybe they didn't get coated all the way so the solvent got to the ink
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Post by Kratok » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:21 am

Wow, that is a shame. Glad to see you taking it in stride, though, and that you have a plan to address it.
Good luck.

ulvdemon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by ulvdemon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:05 pm

the decals were sealed using multiple light coats of Testor's Decal Bonder. I sprayed some more night before last before working on these last night. Seemed to have been an improvement. I would need to cut out the entire section if I am going to replace it with the extras from my Refit. So I am going to work on the topside, and if any of those become an issue, I will have to do some surgery and pick which panels are in the most need of replacing. As it stands, the bottom of the Reliant is now done. Just need to the top and the detailing. :?

Ohh... and cut around the lights on the saucer rim. :)

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Bummer about the decals. Still, it gives you a chance to show off your decal recovery skills!
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

ulvdemon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by ulvdemon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:19 pm

yeah... once the tears have dried! :)

ulvdemon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by ulvdemon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:43 pm

The top is now coming along. Found out the hard way one of the reasons the decals were coming apart was the Micro-Sol. Had a drop hit a decal and it developed this nice round circle of melted decal down to the paint. :lol:

The rest of the saucer decals. Each section has to be cut out.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:49 pm

MicroSOl eh? Yeah. That stuff is pretty strong. I understand you sprayed the decals with decalbonder before application. Have you ever tried Glosscote? I've had better results using Glosscote than decalbonder as far as toughening up fragile decals. Having said that, your upper saucer looks great!
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”