Klingon Bird of Prey (final pics page 9)

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: Klingon Bird-of-Prey

Post by trekriffic » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:32 pm

Here's the video of the flickerng engine lights. It takes a minute or so before I get it focused so hang in there.

"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

harristotle
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by harristotle » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:11 pm

All I see is a black square where the video should be... disengage the cloaking device so we can see it!

Nevermind, after I posted that it showed up.
"I'm your huckleberry"

MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by MEATLOAFr » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:30 am

sweet
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:13 am

New update...

Before assembling the wings to the fuselage with the hinge kit and installing the upper stern piece and warp engine clear part I painted the subassemblies following the painting guide in the kit. Once the paint has cured for a few days I'll paint some other accent colors and start the weathering process using photos of the studio model. Weathering will be done with pastel chalks, washes, and ink pens.
Found some great photos here: http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=9683

The lower wing feathers were painted using Tamiya Flat red acrylic:

Unmasked. Not bad. Not too much touch up required with the Pale Green:

ModelMaster Green Zinc Chromate and Light Ghost Grey enamels were brushhed on:

The Upper Wing. SAC Bomber Green was painted at the root of the wing (my decision). Testors Rust was brushed on the disruptor cannon corrugated slot. I still need to unmask and paint the disruptor barrels with MM Gunmetal:

Fuselage painted. As mentioned earlier, once the paint is fully cured I'll do some freelancing with other colors, washes, and weathering although most of the weathering will happen once the model is completely assembled:

Here's the warp engine clear insert after I masked around the frames and sprayed with Tamiya Black followed by Bare Metal Silver lacquer. The framing only needed minor cleanup with alcohol, a dental pick, and a microbrush thanks in part to sealing the tape edges with Future to prevent paint bleed:

This thick "milk jug" plastic will be cut into panels and positioned to lay just behind the transparent sections of the warp engine part. I'm confident it will do a nice job diffusing the LED lights behind it. I did do one quick experiment positioning it behind the engine part and holding it up to the ceiling bulb and it did a nice job of diffusing the light for an even red glow:

Planning for how to attach the styrene kit wings to the resin wing hinge panels and decided it might help to rough up the panels so the glue (5-minute epoxy I think) has something to grab onto. I scratched them up pretty good using a metal scribing tool:

Awhile back I mentioned losing the shield panels from the kit which meant I had to make new ones from scratch. Well, after taking inventory of my styrene plastic bin which is attached to the side of the hobby cart the model box is sitting on, I found the missing parts. They were still attached to the sprue, lodged between several pieces of scrap styrene sheet. It's too late to use them now, but, I think I like my scratch built replacements better anyway:

Next up... studio model accent color panel painting.

May Kahless inspire me!

Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:41 am

Lookin' very good!

I was finally able to get my hands on one of the recent-issue versions of this kit. I stopped at a hobby store in Lansing to get some brass rod and some paint, and they had one of the Round 2 kits with the landing gears for $36.99. I've been watching for one, and haven't seen one, for a while, so I grabbed it.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:09 am

Thanks for the comment lonewolf!

Weekend update..

Last week I installed yellow and red acrylic rod in two holes I'd drilled in the underbelly dome. Then I mounted a white LED inside the fuselage right behind the power jack and over the rods so they glow. This LED will also illuminate the fiber running to the upper stern beacon between the wing baffles:

The wings were posiitoned either side of the fuselage and all wires were fed thru to be soldered. The wing cannons were connected to the upper stern pushbutton switch. A light test was done showing the starboard wing spots were out. A faulty solder joint was the culprit; it was quickly sorted and everything worked fine after that:

All connections were heatshrunk after soldering:

I used this glue called "Plastic Surgery" I found at the hardware store. It glues all plastics including acrylic, polycarbonate, ABS, and styrene among others. It did a great job gluing the hinge assembly to the fuselage and the wings:

The glue only took about 30 seconds to cure enough to hold the wings in place. Over the next 24 hours it will dry to maximum strength. Here she is in wings down attack mode:

Wings up for landing:

Oh yeah! The lights work!

You can see the up and down wing positions better in these shots:

Lots left to do such as gluing on the upper hinge cover shields, some puttying along the spine between the wing baffles and the upper stern part. Have to finish the warp/impulse engine lighting. Have to glue the grill on the front of the photorp tube of course. I still need to finish the other accent panel painting and the weathering but I'm glad the wiring is done and she lights up as planned.

Max Nex
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Max Nex » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:48 pm

it looks real good (and very realistic) outdoors in daylight !

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:52 pm

Is it me or does the KBoP look "blind" without its visor?

This is coming together real nicely. :thumbsup:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:30 pm

el gato wrote:Is it me or does the KBoP look "blind" without its visor?

This is coming together real nicely. :thumbsup:
Yeah, I still have that and the pipe under the neck to install along with a few other things. It's still suitable for zooming around the garage at this stage though! :lol:

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:13 pm

Update...

So I noticed a lot of greebly detailing in images of the studio model's cloaking generator, the horseshoe shaped pipe that wraps around the front of the command pod:

So I made some mods to the smooth kit part adding bits of Evergreen strip to make it more bumpy like the photo:

After sanding lightly with a sanding stick to make the greeblies more in scale I sprayed it with Tamiya primer:

And now for soemthing completely different (Yes. I'm a Python fan), here's the photon torpedo emitter in idling mode:

And here it is with the pushbutton switch activated in firing mode. Just a bit brighter I think:

I still need to attach the grill of course.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Looking at a screencap I saw that there was a lot more going on on the underside of the neck than what the model had:

The model was missing the rectangular brackets behind the conduit barrel and the triangular frames aft of that.The conduit's ringed barrel that sits between the louvered panels was also a tad undersized in diameter too.

So I made a new barrel with an inner diameter just large enoguh to slide over the top of the kit barrel. Two sizes of brass tubing were cut using my miter box. The rings were really thin and I had to spend over an hour just to cut them and clean them up with files before forcing them onto the barrel and gluing with CA:

The remade torpedo conduit prior to priming:

And after spraying with Tamiya black and silver as an undercoat:

Work started on adding the additonal framing detail to the underside of the neck:

Test fitting with the conduit. I brushed it with ModelMaster Neutral Grey enamel prior to the test fit:

Next I'll be adding the triangluar frames and that should do it for the neck bracing.

Next post will show you some images of the display base. I'm keeping the stand pretty basic (A round wooden base sprayed with Tamiya Gloss Black lacquer and a brass mounting tube) so as not to detract too much from the model whcih will have plenty enough going on with it as you can imagine.

Q'aplah!

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”