NEVER turn your back on a Breen (final pics p 6)

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

NEVER turn your back on a Breen (final pics p 6)

Post by Kratok »

NOTE: This thread originally started with me intending to build a Gorn ship for the contest. After a little research, however, I decided to go with the Breen instead.

I changed the thread name, but kept everything on page 1 and 2 intact. To avoid confusing first time readers, I thought I had better explain the inconsistency between the thread title and the early posts.

We now return to your regularly scheduled program.....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My decision as to what to enter remains open at present.
I have several ideas, but am limited to just one build.

The current top of the list would be a Gorn cruiser.
The Gorn have been, to date, poorly represented in anything other than gaming scale, and I like a challenge. But which design?

Here is the canon ship, from the remastered TOS episode Arena:
Gorn - TOS.png
Gorn - TOS.png (47.88 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
This is available in 1:1400 scale, and although it is a beautiful kit, it does not say "Gorn" to me. Too delicate, too many smooth flowing lines.

There is the FASA cruiser, which I have never seen built in any scale other than gaming:
Gorn - FASA.png
Gorn - FASA.png (103.23 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
These ships (particularly the battleship) are more in the line of what I would imagine a Gorn ship would look like. Blocky, solid. Dense. But Gorn ships are seldom portrayed as these designs.

Star Trek Online's Gorn ships are somewhat similar to FASA's vision, but more fleshed out:
Gorn - STO.png
Meh.

I guess for me (and I am probably showing my age here), the iconic Gorn design is that from the old Star Fleet Battles game:
Gorn - SFB.png
I think this is what I would like to build for the contest. Probably in 1:1400 scale, maybe 1:2500.

My first hurdle?

I sold all my gaming miniatures ages ago. I want my build to be as close to scale as possible, but the specs that I have found on the internet are all over the place.

I am hoping that someone still has a gaming mini of this ship, and can provide me with a measurement of the diameter of the pods (as accurately as possible). Also, maybe the overall length (discounting the engines)? I could take it from there, since the minis were a nominal 1:3700 scale. I just need a starting point from which to scale my working drawings.

If nothing is posted to this thread, I will see if I can find an old mini somewhere.
Barring that, I will switch to my secondary choice.

Hoping someone can help.
Fingers crossed....
Last edited by Kratok on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:04 am, edited 7 times in total.
SingleMind
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Gorn Cruiser would be my first choice

Post by SingleMind »

Don't have the miniature so no help for you there. But the ship is a good looking ship. Kinda alien and the Gorn where one of the more alien aliens in TOS. Hope you can build it.
Confidence - that feeling you get right before you fully understand the situation.
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

i dont have the corn cruiser but i do have the gorn dreadnought .. 3 discs instead of 2
Kratok

Post by Kratok »

Zookman,
I am familiar with the dreadnought as well. Maybe I could do that one instead.

At your convenience, could I trouble you for the saucer diameter(s) and the overall length?
Thanks in advance.
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

sure no problem .. ill do them tomorow and maybe even scan the mini next to a ruler to show just how things are laid out and their locations ..
Kratok

Post by Kratok »

Many thanks.
Doesn't have to be tomorrow - just whenever is convenient. And, again, I really appreciate your helping out.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

I stumbled across this tidbit this morning:
https://unusualsuspex.deviantart.com/art ... -450635094

Perhaps it can help.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

pm sent with measurments ... pics below ..

bottom
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

scaled up to 1/2500 would make this about 6.63 inches long .. ( 1/1400 -- 11.84 inches long ) ... (1/1000 --16.575 inches long ) .. ( 1/650 --25.5 inches long ) ... ( 1/350 inches long 47.36 )

figured buy taking 3900 and dividing by what ever scale ya want and them multiplying the part size by that to get your scale size for upscaled part

wasnt sure what scale ya thinking of so included them all ... lol
jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 »

Hey, Moongrim, that ship seems to have the same stylings as in the Next Generation comicbook, The Gorn Crisis. I love it when non-canon intersects like that.
GornFleet.jpg
Kratok, have you seen:
https://www.starfleetgames.com/Starline% ... sons.shtml

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”