AGT Future Enterprise D INCOMPLETE

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
asmcelhinney
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

AGT Future Enterprise D INCOMPLETE

Post by asmcelhinney »

*EDIT: this project has changed somewhat from my first ideas...

https://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.p ... 475#p21475

Seeing as everyone else is having a go I thought I'd start posting my ideas for my entry.

I really like the 'lost era' and the Excelsior and Ambassador class ships are two of my favourite designs in all of trek, so whatever I build, it'll be based of off one of them. Regarding scale, if I use an Excelsior/Excelsior refit it'll be 1/1000, if I use the Ambassador as the base I'd probably lean towards 1/2500 over 1/1400. Whichever route I go down, I'll be making extensive use of aftermarket parts from places like Don's Light & MAgis and Modular Models etc, plus the kitbash will be lit to the best of my abilities.

Idea 1: The Excelsador/Ambassior
This would probably take shape as a modified 'sexed up' Excelsior with bells and whistles and hints of design evolution towards the Ambassador.

Idea 2: Excelsior Dreadnought
Because three nacelles are better than two? I always really like the Future Enterprise from All Good Things and rather like the idea of a 'dreadnought' Excelsior. I have found a couple of pics for inspiration, but don't think they look quite right. Reckon I could do a lot better.

Not sure it I'd festoon the thing with guns. Perhaps some phasers here and there, maybe a crazy mega cannon thing under the saucer.

Idea 3: Ambassador Dreadnought
As above really. Given the Ambassador is closer in profile to the Galaxy class it's somewhat easier to envisage a three nacelled version with bells and whistles, but I think I'd prefer an Excelsior version.

Idea 4: Apollo Class Science vessel
The Apollo (which I'm pretty sure is non-canon) is the 'Nebula' equivalent of the Ambassador Class. I found some rather nice pictures that have me really interested in this:

I did, only just last night, come across Resin-Modeller Adam's 'Dante class' ship from last year's comp which is more or less the same idea.Somewhat off-putting, but mine would be 1/2500 and with lights.

Other thoughts
There are loads of canon and non canon remixes of the Excelsior and Ambassador, some laughable, a few endearing, most hideous. But you never know, adding nacelles and pods and weapons in strange places might yield some fantastic results!

Lots to think about :)
Last edited by asmcelhinney on Tue May 27, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

My fledgling YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PapanurgleForums
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Lost Era kitbash

Post by Moongrim »

Intriguing and enjoyable. ;)
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder »

Is that a shuttlebay at the back of that Apollo class. That's huge! Still, I like that design.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I agree. The Apollo Class is a cool looking ship.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
asmcelhinney
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by asmcelhinney »

Does look like a massive shuttle bay. Having some 1/2500 shuttles or runabouts mooching about in there would be cool. Really like this design.

My heart is set on the excelsior dreadnought retrofit weirdness, but the majority of the parts I want are from Modular Models who list a turnaround of 6-8 weeks. Assuming I factor in a couple of weeks on top of that to ship to the UK... well, I might not get the majority of the parts I want until very close to the deadline.

It's a real pain sometimes not having UK supplier of the wealth of kits and parts available across the pond.

asmcelhinney
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by asmcelhinney »

Quick and dirty photoshop mock-up of a possible Excelsior dreadnought...

asmcelhinney
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

We've had a change of plans...

Post by asmcelhinney »

I'm going to have to put my love affair with the lost era Excelsior/Ambassador ideas on hold for a few months for mostly financial reasons (the last week of June is hideously expensive having my sister's, youngest brother's, best friend's, step son's and partner's birthdays all in a row!). Thankfully I do have a small stash of un-built kits on standby...
Captain, there's another ship decloaking bearing 215 mark 310...

It's the Enterprise!

I have a 1/2500 Enterprise D doing nothing...

... so I'll be ordering the VA Miniatures 'Future Galaxy Conversion' very soon. It has clear tinted parts so I'll be lighting the nacelles and deflector at least, possibly the windows as well, however I might also get the 'Battlehead' conversion piece and make the model with a removable saucer section which would make putting lights in for the windows through the whole ship something of a challenge.

Here's a few pics of the Diamond select Future Enterprise that features saucer separation:

Then there's the question of deacls/aztecs/masks. Obviously I have a lot of choice of Galaxy-Class/Ent-D stuff, but will need to modify it for the retrofitted dreadnought hull.

Really getting excited about the competition now!

SingleMind
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: 'All Good Things' Future Enterprise D

Post by SingleMind »

I like it! I have always loved the dreadnought Enteprise ever sence the first time she blasted all those holes in that Neg'varh. Looking forward to see what you do.
Confidence - that feeling you get right before you fully understand the situation.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

SingleMind wrote:I like it! I have always loved the dreadnought Enteprise ever sence the first time she blasted all those holes in that Neg'varh. Looking forward to see what you do.
Me too. None of this "attempting to penetrate shields', malarkey.

Is it just me, or are the secondary hull's impulse engines exhausting directly onto the the third nacelle's pylon?
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
asmcelhinney
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by asmcelhinney »

Moongrim wrote:Is it just me, or are the secondary hull's impulse engines exhausting directly onto the the third nacelle's pylon?
Yep, they sure are. Size and location of impulse engines seems to be a rather haphazard afterthought on a fair few classes of ship!

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”