Stargazer (final pics page 8)

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: Stargazer

Post by Moongrim » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:14 pm

I am quite impressed as well with the fine quality of the work. :shock:
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:43 pm

Moongrim wrote:I am quite impressed as well with the fine quality of the work. :shock:
Ditto! This is looking like a real winner!
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:12 pm

Well this big stuff it what I'm good at. it's the details, fine putty work, brush painting and not rushing through the end where I'm challenged. So this build might be a different story towards the end... But thanks for your support!

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:18 pm

Lots of progress, not too many pics. This is the impulse box. red LEDs pointed to the back, blue LEDS pointed at the impulse crystals.
Now here's the part I don't have too many pictures of. I sprayed the inside black and silver for light blocking.

I added some navigation lights.

And I added the top layer of styrene, so for better or worse the main hull is built. the refit saucer top is not glued on yet.
The lights inside are pretty simple. One big circle of LEDs to light the windows.
Last edited by Steam235 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Before I can get to the really fun anime kit parts there was a lot of work to be done with just strips of styrene. I used a triangular file to carve some panel lines. I'm sure alot of you will notice my biggest failure so far. I had braces inside in the wrong places. so I couldn't cut open the shuttle bay slots so that the grooved parts would be behind the hull on the more forward bays. I had to choose between leaving them off or doing them as you see them here. I thought that the profile of the ship really needs those bay doors. for better or worse the Constellation class is known for having a crazy number of cargo bays. So I added them on the outside.
Last edited by Steam235 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

curt
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by curt » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:36 pm

making excellent progress on this. great job!

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Wow! You are really making it so. Nice work! :bow:
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Here's the one real vintage kit I'm using. Probably the most fun of the build is using the same parts that were used almost 20 years ago. If it weren't cost prohibitive I would have bought some some of the other old kits. Oh well DLM makes some good replacements :)
ImageImage
Last edited by Steam235 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:36 pm

I received some parts from DLM a few days ago and once those were cleaned and applied construction was complete!

I've put the first coat of primer on and soon I'll be wet sanding, reapplying putty and primering again.

Here's a break down of parts used.

Of course you can see the pylons from the refit enterprise. next the auxiliary bridge is made from a contemporaneity Valkyrie fighter model kit. The bridge is from DLM parts.

These structures are all from DLM

The hexagon boxes and triangular front part are all DLM. the sensor array is from an AMT refit kit, the two domes in front are cut off of the AMT refit kit's bridges. I've actually learned that on the real Stargazer ready room model it's a sensor array mounted onto the BC decks which were cut off of the top saucer and attached to the bottom saucer. That bottom saucer's outer rings were cut off right where it starts to curve out and was mounted to a flush sheet of plastic.

As previously mentioned these structures are from a Vintage Tripod Tank. the additional dome and arm are from DLM> Any guesses to what these are supposed to be? I'd guess they are minning equipment to restock the ship on it's deep space missions.
A better shot of the styrene strips and the grid lines I filed in.

some rod and rec tube glued to the rear of the nacelles.

An overall shot in primer.
Last edited by Steam235 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Steam235 wrote:I've actually learned that on the real Stargazer ready room model it's a sensor array mounted onto the BC decks which were cut off of the top saucer and attached to the bottom saucer. That bottom saucer's outer rings were cut off right where it starts to curve out and was mounted to a flush sheet of plastic.
I did not know that. I thought they used another Refit dorsal/top saucer for the Stargazer's ventral saucer. Your entry's looking awesome, Steam.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”