Don's Light and Magic

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
Jason902
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Don's Light and Magic

Post by Jason902 »

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with DLM lately? I contacted him in early June looking to get a Nebula conversion kit and some other bits. He recommended I make two orders, one for the bits and one for the Nebula, which I did do and paid for. Neither order had arrived so in early August I sent an email which he did respond to stating he still had to cast some the parts from my bits order and that I was 4th in the Nebula cue. It is now mid October and nothing has arrived and he hasn't responded yet to an email sent about a week ago. I am just really concerned as it took me along time to save up to finally get a Nebula (my favorite TNG ship) and I am now long past the Paypal dispute timeline.
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Don's Light and Magic

Post by MadManMUC »

My understanding is that he is semi-retired. In fact, he was musing about whether or not to call it a day with his business on the front page of his site last year.

I'd ordered some parts for both my 537 Reliant and Revell Voyager from him last year, and it took him a couple of months to get them out (after which USPS 'lost' the package (that was one hell of a WTF story ... ), then it turned up at German customs, where it sat for a few weeks, but anyway).

I'll grant you, communication isn't always the best, but he will get your stuff out for you.

Despite the length of time it took for my first order last year, I fully intend to do business with him again, either this year or early next year.

Be patient! ;)
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Comms with Don can indeed be a bit spotty, and he can be slow to reply. I'm not sure why and know it can be a bit worrying. However, I've not yet heard of Don ever NOT coming thru on an order. That doesn't mean he has failed to fill an order in the past and that it's still outstanding, I've just never heard of it happening. You might try following up again and asking if he can tell you the status.

In my experiences, tho, if he doesn't reply after roughly a week, that means it's either about to be shipped or is on the way. Yes, not the best of ways to keep your customers in the loop, but again, I've never heard of him ripping anyone off. When I have a need to order, I'll order again and just make sure to wait longer than I do for most anyone else.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Jason902

Post by Jason902 »

I will wait a little longer to see if he replies, if not I will fire him another email in a week or two. Thanks for your input. :)

Best Regards
Jason
Jason902

Post by Jason902 »

A year and a half after I ordered my Nebula conversion kit I still never received it, I emailed Don and got a response in the summer saying I was next on the list and should have it soon. I was going to email him again today as it has been a few months since he told me I was next on the list only to find out he has passed away. I am sorry to hear that but to simply put contact PayPal for a dispute on the website isn't right either as PayPal won't even let you open a dispute for an order placed 18 months ago. Has anyone else had any luck with Paypal for an older purchase?

Merry Christmas
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

I had a full set for and Enterprise and Reliant in 537 on order which was placed very late June.
I put a ticket in to PayPal for a refund so will wait to see what happens. Never tried after the 6 month period.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.
Jason902

Post by Jason902 »

Paypal will not refund me as it is over the 180 days they allow. They told me to deal with the bank, in my frustration with them I cancelled me Paypal account. I went a little on the dark side there but my god they were frustrating to deal with. They did tell me that DLM did close their Paypal account so they can't even contact them so I feel I might not be the only one who is not going to get a refund. :(

I was so looking forward to a Nebula Class model.
mhaz1701
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by mhaz1701 »

Hey guys,

I'm part of the group that's sifting through the remains of DLM. We tried to figure out how to get everyone made whole, but there weren't enough parts cast to fill even one order. Plus, when Don's family cleaned out his apartment, they threw away all his masters and almost all of his molds. What molds we were able to recover aren't usable for casting, either. If PayPal won't accept a claim, then you need to go through your bank.

Check out the Friends of Don't Light and Magic group on Facebook for the most up to date information.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

Thanks for replying to this! :)

Is there a direct link to the Group? I couldn't find it doing a search.

Also, do you have an email people can use to contact you directly about this? I only ask as I've had a few folks contact me and I've been unable to help them.

I will pin this thread so it gets more exposure.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

Xen wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:02 am Thanks for replying to this! :)

Is there a direct link to the Group? I couldn't find it doing a search.

Also, do you have an email people can use to contact you directly about this? I only ask as I've had a few folks contact me and I've been unable to help them.

I will pin this thread so it gets more exposure.
it is a closed group and I have had a request going through for application since Don's departing. Looking through the members list Don was the only admin so I may be waiting forever.
Here is the link to the group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1435879209761474/
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Return to “Off Topic”