GA-001 Lucky Star

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

GA-001 Lucky Star

Post by WarpNein » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:23 am

This is an odd Japanese resin kit I've had kicking around for a while. I managed to get all six off of Yahoo Japan at one point and they joined the pile of models I'm slowly whittling away at. The garage-kitting industry is Japan is alive and well, and the IP holders even acknowledge it by issuing single-day licenses to makers.

Lucky Star is from the anime/game series Galaxy Angel. While the game is a dramatic story with dating sim elements which was never ported over here, the anime is surrealist goofball slapstick in the vein of Adult Swim's original programming, though less violent and biting than, say Aqua Teen Hunger Force. The series revolves around the cast's pursuit of Lost Technology, ancient artifacts which serve as catalysts for comedic hijinks (in a late-season episode, one character uses a Lost Technology diary to exact revenge on the rest of the cast by writing scenarios in it a la Death Note. Only here the character's atrocious penmanship causes the diary to constantly misinterpret her). Each character has her own starship, with its own color scheme and weapon set.

Anyhow, I have six of these strangely insectoid, candy-colored starships to make. The resin castings are a bit rough, but they're fun to work with.
DSC03199.JPG
DSC03202.JPG
DSC03204.JPG
DSC03203.JPG

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: GA-001 Lucky Star

Post by Tesral » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:43 am

Mmm, it's...PINK!

I got nutten.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by kobayashimaru » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:43 pm

Gashapon Correctibiru,
wow, they even make gashapon for Galaxy Angel? cool.

I've gotta ask
Is this a "Chiagamii" kit?
like, was it tan-colored folded box with "Chiagamii" on white sticker for the box?

WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:10 pm

kobayashimaru wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:43 pm
Gashapon Correctibiru,
wow, they even make gashapon for Galaxy Angel? cool.

I've gotta ask
Is this a "Chiagamii" kit?
like, was it tan-colored folded box with "Chiagamii" on white sticker for the box?
These didn't even get a box. They came as rough resin trees in ziplock bags with paper inserts.

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by kobayashimaru » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:53 pm

Thanks,
that helps narrow it down a little hehe :D

I'm just curious -
some of these 'mystery Gashapon"
don't show up again, and they'll have like 2 or 3 components that you'll want for
kitbashing etc hehe.

WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:50 am

kobayashimaru wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:53 pm
Thanks,
that helps narrow it down a little hehe :D

I'm just curious -
some of these 'mystery Gashapon"
don't show up again, and they'll have like 2 or 3 components that you'll want for
kitbashing etc hehe.
The manufacturer is some outfit called G-Cube. I can find very little about them. The paper insert does boast a "© Broccoli" on it, so they were presumably the result of a limited license.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:59 pm

Wow, that’s a neat design!

One of the things I appreciate about the various Japanese anime designs I’ve seen over the years is that they’re all different than most of the “standard” looking designs thatvtejd to be developed in the West. The “standard” designs we see in so much Western SciFi tend to be much more “busy” than the standard in which the bulk of Western designs are more streamlined, more symmetric. And the organic designs are equally as unique as those in Western SciFi.

Thanks for sharing.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

Return to “Off Topic”