Sharp & Pointy

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sharp & Pointy

Post by Tesral » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:09 pm

slawton wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:22 pm
Well, I guess you guys are ready for the zombie apocalypse! The sharpies would probably be better against the walkers, but the firepower would be more useful against the living (as in "The Walking Dead").
I have Nerf machine guns for that. Nerf kills zombies deader.

KNIFE Breakdown

Throwing knives. I don't practice enough. I need a board in the garage I can kill. The black ones were gotten to replace the far too varied silver ones. Throwing knives do not have an edge usually, the point does the work.
S&P1.JPG

Various small stuff. Top right is my old camp knife. Well used as you can see and sharp enough to shave. Craftsman of all things. On the left from the top. A dagger I got at a con, it feels wonderful in the hand. The dagger under it was quirky with the paracord wrapped handle. Nice little knife. The sgian dubh I spent years looking for. I wanted antler not blackwood, and I didn't want a button that outweights the rest of the knife. Scottish heritage thing. Two little patch knives that will get put with the kukri when I finish the sheath. And the little skinner. It's just cute.
S&P2.JPG
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

WarpNein
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by WarpNein » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:30 pm

slawton wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:22 pm
Well, I guess you guys are ready for the zombie apocalypse! The sharpies would probably be better against the walkers, but the firepower would be more useful against the living (as in "The Walking Dead").
That's right. I'm ready for those skinwalking reptilian demons coming in their black UN Agenda 21 helicopters to turn us all into gay zombie frogs. WE'RE BREAKING THE CONDITIONING!!!! YYEEAAAAAHHHHH :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

*Oh, goodness. Excuse me, I went off a little there.

WarpNein
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by WarpNein » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:31 pm

Tesral wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:53 am
Then again I've seen the prices on the Benchmade blades, Enough to flip your wig. Too much for this old codger.
You will either hate me or love me. If nothing else, making fun of my accent seems to be a common theme.

Oh f.c.u.k. this. Is video embedding disabled or something? I've tried every tag and nothing works. It's my video, in case there's some copyright concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFHfR-rC9CU&t=1s

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:11 am

WarpNein wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:31 pm
Tesral wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:53 am
Then again I've seen the prices on the Benchmade blades, Enough to flip your wig. Too much for this old codger.
You will either hate me or love me. If nothing else, making fun of my accent seems to be a common theme.

Don't run your thumb down the edge of one of mine....

You spent a lot on one kind of knife. I get examples of all different ones.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:37 am

Stuff in the 7 inch range. The top down. A KABAR reproduction by KABAR itself. The USMC utility and fighting knife. Second down in the real McCoy. An original WWII USMC KABAR knife. It has not had a good life. I bought it from the Grandson of the man that wore it on his hip. Cold Steel tanto. Nice heft to it. The black dagger feels wonderful in the hand and has good honest steel. Razor sharp. I bought it for the way it handles. The last is a category called "Hip Jewelry". Knives that look good, but are questionable otherwise. This one is pretty and well built, but I would not trust the steel. Pakistani crap. It has an edge, kinda, maybe.
S&P3.JPG

Longer stuff. Top, "Bonny Scottish Dirk" Hip jewelry of the no so great range. Playing with it I got the blade to rattle in the hilt. Edge? Nope and correcting it would cut into the fancy etching work. Opens really big letters. Next down is a Scottish Dirk with teeth. That hilt is sweet in the hand and the edge worthy of the name. Last a main-gauche or left hand dagger to use with a rapier. I've considered getting rid of the paint and polishing the hilt to better match the rapier I have.
S&P4.JPG

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:58 am

I'll go back and edit the swords.

Curvy Knives Top is hip jewelry. A clear fantasy blade, decent steel, I'll see how it sharpens. Second down is a krambit of patterned steel nicely etched, good edge and fits my hand well. Sorry the photo does not show the pattern well. Assam Rifles Kurki. Will take your head off. I had to rebuild the sheath on this one rust got into it. See the patch knives. Kurki of unknown origin. Good steel. Will also remove heads. Yes I like the Kurki.
S&P5.JPG
S&P5.JPG (106.37 KiB) Viewed 444 times
More curvy: The top two are "Saber knives". From whence they come I have no idea. Weird looking fighting knives. Bottom is a jambiya. Sadly it is too small for my meat hooks of hands. Ergo I have spent no time on working with it.
S&P6.JPG

You did Ax. Left most. Throwing ax I have seen sold as several things. Hefty beast. My short sword. Nice balance good edge. And a Viking battle ax. The edge lovingly improved.
S&P7.JPG

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:21 pm

WarpNein wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:31 pm
Is video embedding disabled or something? I've tried every tag and nothing works. It's my video, in case there's some copyright concern.

there are still hings to fix since the forum upgrade. i'll add it to the list.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Xen wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:21 pm

there are still hings to fix since the forum upgrade. i'll add it to the list.
Xen, I told you that my house would have "Health and Safety" clutching their pearls so hard the oyster would scream.

I have a claymore on order.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:50 am

More sharp and pointy.

These are on my person day to day.

Top row left to right,
Gerber liner lock, 3.5" blade in my bag. Gerber LST 2.5" lockback. I've carried this model of knife for 30 years. In my pocket. Leatherman micra, carried mainly for the little scissors. I have two of these the one here is on my desk the other in my bad has lanyard because the things get lost easily, In bag

Bottom a Leatherman Surge, the black things are holders of tool bits for the replaceable bit holder bottom right. It turns any Leatherman so equipped from a useful device to a mini toolbox. In bag, it is heavy.
S&P8.JPG
Bookcase knife holder, all the small stuff. Left column then right column top to bottom.
Cheap thing, no idea where it came from. Second cheap thing, an interesting opening mechanism. Schlade Stockman. A replacement for my first knife lost under the forklift. (Crunch). "Doctor's knife" A two blade model. An interesting pattern. Hawkbill, likjewise. Three Gerber LSTs. What you thought all 30 years were one knife? I wish. One my back up and the two I bought recently when I thount I lost both my main ones. I have plenty. The red thing is a cheap ass knife shaped object.

Right side. Three penknives, no Idea. My Mom hand then and gave then to me. Sailor's knife. Sheepsfoot and marlinspike. "Toothpick knife" No there is not toothpick. Interesting shape again. "First Responder" Assisted opening, seatbelt cutter and a glass breaker. I have a different one in the car. "Congress knife" No, carried by Congress not used on them. Incidentally Abe Lincoln had one in his pocket when he was shot. Cheap Niagara fall souvenir and a Swiss Army nail file. The last three were owned by my Wife's Grandfather. Well worn and retired.
S&P9.JPG
Two more swords. The smaller one is a 18th century small sword. Quick in the hand and light. Wicked point and edge. The latter that Claymore I just got Friday. It is on the same wall plaque as the bastard sword for size. Over 5 feet long. A true two hander.
S&P10.JPG
S&P10.JPG (48.8 KiB) Viewed 299 times
S&P11.JPG
S&P11.JPG (43.31 KiB) Viewed 299 times

Return to “Off Topic”