Showing Models and Judging standards

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Showing Models and Judging standards

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Hey all,

First, this is not sour grapes. I really want to learn and discuss. So please take it as it was meant, plz! :)

I recently went to a couple of shows and showed a few (okay, "ALL" four) of my models. While I am not the most skilled nor do I consider myself a Master builder, I don't think I am near the bottom, either.

At these shows, the model that placed first in the SciFi category was a 3D printed one with no lights and no modifications other than it was painted. The Best in SciFi category was snap together with a weathered paint job. Again, not spectacular.

To be fair, there were some there, not mine, that left me thinking they would win, or at least place, the paint was awesome, the modifications were seamless with the whole model, the lights were balanced in appearance, and the display was spot on - and they were ignored.

Now here are the questions:

1. What are the judging standards for these shows, other than favoritism for builders the judges know?

2. If so, how are models judged between entries?

-- less seams?
-- clean paint jobs?
-- excellent decal application?
-- what exactly?

3. Are there different judging standards depending on who is sponsoring the show?

4. How does a paint job on a 3D printed "model" qualify as a "model" much less place first in category? Is the building in the software the building part? (Not to down play those who sell or make these models; just wanna know)

5. How does a snap together (not bring rude here, I sincerely want to know) with a weathering paint job, again, no lights, no mods, no nothing, qualify as "Best in Category"?

I appreciate your insight and any showing or display tips, or techniques to improve my own showings, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Showing Models and Judging standards

Post by Tesral »

My wife has done model horse shows for years. Decades even. Other shows differ only in model genre.

The only thing I am sure of is the judging is highly subjective. Everything you mentioned is true. Does the judge like the subject. "Ew, another Trek model". How knowledgeable are they? There are no standards. What did they have for breakfast?

I can assure you I would have judged the show differently, simply because I am not that judge, no otter reason.

If, and a pretty damn big if, I ever showed in a show it would be to display my work and screw the ribbons.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “Off Topic”