Social Media and AST

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Social Media and AST

Post by el gato » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:22 am

RogueWolf wrote:I think we should take Griffworks up on his offer to manage an AST FB page for us. Nothing too big or complicated, just something that can highlight some of the stuff going on and cool pics.

I think the YouTube idea is great and should be explored. I've said it's not my cup of rum, but the more I think about it, the more I am inclined to maybe contribute a short video/narration to this format.
Seconded.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:00 pm

el gato wrote:
RogueWolf wrote:I think we should take Griffworks up on his offer to manage an AST FB page for us. Nothing too big or complicated, just something that can highlight some of the stuff going on and cool pics.

I think the YouTube idea is great and should be explored. I've said it's not my cup of rum, but the more I think about it, the more I am inclined to maybe contribute a short video/narration to this format.
Seconded.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, fellas. Apparently, it’s a non-starter....
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by RogueWolf » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Hey Griff, I think the interest in the FB platform just isn't there from our current population.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:11 pm

I coulda swore the idea was to advertise and grow AST? Wasn’t that the idea behind the original line of thinking for this thread? If that is indeed the case, “current population” shouldn’t even factor in to any of this. Right??

So, the lack of response from the site owner over the last couple of weeks leaves me speculating.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:23 pm

I don't see why there can't be an AST FB page or group. If we get builders to either post or their permission for someone else to post their builds. Then have links back to AST to see the build threads or other things.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:41 am

Griffworks wrote:I coulda swore the idea was to advertise and grow AST? Wasn’t that the idea behind the original line of thinking for this thread? If that is indeed the case, “current population” shouldn’t even factor in to any of this. Right??

So, the lack of response from the site owner over the last couple of weeks leaves me speculating.
I've spoken with the site owner over the phone, he's all for your help but the fear is that people would frequent the FB page more than the site. I think any press is good press, I'll chat with him again and see if maybe we can do a trial basis. The key thing is getting some eye candy from the forums to post. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I'm grateful that you offered to help out.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:54 am

Huh....

If you set up a Page, people can’t post content to the main page, only the Admin. So, the Admin can find threads here on AST and share those links. Like with most shared links, it gives a teaser pic and maybe the first line or two of text. That leads directly back to AST, specifically that thread where if someone wanted to view the pics, they’ve gotta come here.

My Flickr Albums

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:04 pm

So it is possible to control the Fb page so that only the authorized content shows?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:14 pm

Yes. IIRC, Visitors can post to the Page, tho it’s not on the main, front page. They can be see by anyone visiting the Page, tho you have to look for that section if the Page to see them. Sort of like on the UGH! Models page where there’s a Visitor’s section where anyone can post a Thread. Again, you have to go to Posts - or whatever the specific tab is named - to even see them.

Plus, Admin can delete said posts if they want. Or Share them to the main, front page.

There might be a way to turn off Vistor Commenting, tho I’m not sure.

My Flickr Albums

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:25 pm

It sounds like it would provide an opportunity to raise AST's profile and perhaps direct traffic here. A good starting point would be the gallery pages

Return to “Off Topic”