Social Media and AST

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Social Media and AST

Post by RogueWolf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:39 pm

Ok some of the other model sites are using FB and such to spread their 'brand'. While I am not a huge fan of FB and don't think that Xen and the Admins have enough time of day to manage the site and a Social Media page, I am wondering if there is anything that we (the general population of AST) can do to help spread the word that AST is here?

What do you guys think?
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Social Media and AST

Post by Griffworks » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:46 pm

I’d be happy to help out. I’m currently unemployed and am an Admin of several FB Groups - SciFi Central, SciFi Blueprints, Kitbashers Corner, and Battlestar Galactica Shipyards. For the most part, they all run pretty smoothly and with minimal rules in place.

Just LMK where I can help.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Tesral » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:51 am

I don't even have a Facebook account. No really, I mean it.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:11 am

While not social media, a link to AST has been on my website since the beginning. Also on the back of my business cards along with Starship Modeler and Keeper of the Force. Resin Illuminate and Science Fiction Modellbau Forum just have links on the website though, as the back of my business card is already busy enough. :lol:
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:13 am

I don't even have a Facebook account. No really, I mean it.
Snap. No Facebook, no Twitter or any others save for LinkedIn and that I sort of joined by accident to respond to a colleagues comments. I have since lost my log in details and can't be bothered to retrieve them.

Closest thing I do to social media is post here and at the Kampfgruppe 144 site (mainly 1/144 aircraft modelling) as well as a rare visit these days to Starship Modeller.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:18 am

indeed,
I've been making inroads with HLJ affiliates,
and local model stores,
not to mention, boardgamegeek, lead-adventure, geek-n-sundry, and other trek forums.
then, there's minds, ideahub, and other locales, like ThisWeekInTech, ForeAM etc.
I recommend folks also print off a decal for their LAN club or computer box etc,
it helps hehe.

Model Conventions are also where AST needs to reach out to folks,
GenCon, Supanova, AusTrek Con, Sci-Fi Week (at ACT etc), TrekDE
with a stall etc. I have an AST decal for 'exhibition matches/general inquiry"
and have several displayed at computer stores and hobby clubs.

I think model-making is waning at the moment, though the pendulum will swing! :lol:
(that, and the quality of what is being built by folks, it's wow!).
that and people overall are becoming exceedingly insular and isolated in general.
I hope to see more 'virtual modelling'/'3D models etc" also shared at AST,
as that's been awesome to see to date. the trek-sketches are fun stuff.

I look forward to seeing what ideas others come up with,
and may AST continue to flourish as a Trek-ish kinda place for a long time to come! :D

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:07 pm

It's interesting that this should be an issue. Let me clarify:

I first found this site while trying to gain inspiration for one of my builds and followed a builder, posting in another forum, back to here. Admittedly he posts in other forums, but this one attracted me as it deals primarily with the Star Trek universe. I really prefer Star Trek to any other genre of Scifi out there - typically staying away from the horror SciFi, too.

Another aspect is that when I do a Google image search for more reference materials for a build, more times than not, a posted picture, following the usual vendor offerings, lists a pic from allscaletrek.com. This happened more often before the photobucket money grab, but I don't very often see pics taking me to other forums nearly so much as I do to this one.

Just my experience.

FB would be advantageous and would lead to greater exposure, such as many groups on FB are doing, and once a post is placed, it would appear in the FB feed and could lead others back here. While there are many groups and forums out there, this community and GUI seems very friendly and clean.

Google+ community is another place where many SciFi modelers are and could also lead others back here. I am active on both FB and Google+ just so I can have exposure to all venues and learning opportunities.

Granted it would take someone's time to monitor and admin, but, again, good exposure.

Another point to consider is that, God forbid, funds to maintain this site drop and this site goes dark, if we were to have another means/site/location, which are all free to users, where we could meet and discuss builds and issues of Star Trek, the loss wouldn't be so keenly felt and the community itself would survive.

While I enjoy the forum immensely, being an IT person by training, I would heartily recommend a backup plan for the community. Plus the additional web exposure will definitely increase the traffic here.

Just thinking while typing.

Steve

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:32 pm

Griffworks wrote:I’d be happy to help out. I’m currently unemployed and am an Admin of several FB Groups - SciFi Central, SciFi Blueprints, Kitbashers Corner, and Battlestar Galactica Shipyards. For the most part, they all run pretty smoothly and with minimal rules in place.

Just LMK where I can help.
I'm interested in setting up a group, but just so people can read and "like", with a link back to the thread here. Like a little breadcrumb. I would treat FB as a place for such breadcrumbs for eye candy. Less is more hopefully. Then use it for a news update if that's the case.

Is it possible to do that and if so, where are the settings located?

I have made a FB account, but can't see where you turn it into a group. For example, I don't want the AST account I made to morph into a Group. I would like to create a Group from the very beginning, set as All Scale Trek.
MSgtUSAFRet wrote:It's interesting that this should be an issue. Let me clarify:
Another aspect is that when I do a Google image search for more reference materials for a build, more times than not, a posted picture, following the usual vendor offerings, lists a pic from allscaletrek.com. This happened more often before the photobucket money grab, but I don't very often see pics taking me to other forums nearly so much as I do to this one.
Could you clarify what you mean with the above quoted paragraph? It sounds like Google are no longer showing pics from AST like they used to. Is this the case?

Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Xen wrote: @ kremin; i don't doubt the effort and craftsmanship that has gone into such projects. however, forgive me for sounding dense, but you mentioned nemvia's style of doing something as a reference for how i could do things with social media.

it went over my head somewhat. i got the 1 post a month, 'less is more' part, but the rest i did a 'wuh?' could you tell me the dumbed down version of what nemvia has got to do with my attempt at ganging with social media? many thanks! :)
Ok
As I understand what you are wanting to do is use social media (Facebook) to show more people that AST exists and might be a cool place to hang out

Nemvia is getting people from various forums who may not know he exists to go to his page to look at what he is creating

If you consider all of these (Including forums) to be social media in some form all that is happening is you are using an advert on one channel to bring traffic to a different one

So I want people to go and visit my latest build thread I would do a post on facebook like this
AST.jpg
If it's on my time line only my friends will see it, if it's on a page or group whoever visits that page can see it and potentially click on it

Somewhere like the starship kitbashing group has over 2000 members, that's a lot of views and potential of people visiting

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:18 pm

right. i think i get it now. post on their sites and have them come to you, as opposed to 10 different ast social media sites with the same blurb repeated.

would that not be classed as a type of spam though? i'm not saying you're doing that, but if i did that it might be considered as such. i don't post on social media, so i would really struggle to keep up with being active on sites 1 through 10.

knowing my luck, even if i wasn't removed, i would be considered by the group as the ignorant one that just self-promotes. however well-intentioned.

this is what i am considering;

a fb group. read and like only. highlighting the best of whatever is going on at ast. eye candy, news ect with breadcrumbs back here. even if they don;t want to be a part of the forum, they can still get to see the main bredcrumb, so to speak.

twitter for the same thing. maybe for even more truncated trek candy .

you tube for little 5-10 blurbs ranging from news, reviews, articles, q and a's with some members or folks like r2.

all 3 types with a 'less is more' approach.

Return to “Off Topic”