The Orville Ships & Lengths

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
marcnoonan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

The Orville Ships & Lengths

Post by marcnoonan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:48 am

Hi All,

Based on the awesome scaling done by Scott Lowther for the Plastic Fantastic 1/1400 Orville model http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=36212 in which he concludes a length of 337m, I did some rough measurements using several screenshots and a digital vernier on the other ships (where comparison was possible) as well as compiling a list of all the ships seen on the screen.

Yes, there are 2 ships called the USS Olympia! The Heavy Cruiser had the name clearly on the hull and the smaller double ringed ship was referred to by name at least twice, possible three times through the episode.

The single ringed ship is seen in the EP1 initial shot of the Star Base
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/20/80/35 ... 8adadf.jpg

We also see close up hull shots of 2 different ships of the same class (Intro ship) which have the same bridge as USS Orville and appear to be a similar size, but have different panelling and extra parts (rectangular structure on the nose in front of the bridge). No idea on number of rings.

With the Moclan ship there's not a side by side shot, but it's about 50% longer than the Orville and the Wiki on the Krill is crap, but the same model was just scaled up for the Battle Cruiser. Both the Heavy Cruiser and smaller double ring variants can be seen around the space dock in EP1 and I used the Leviathan to scale the Dock.

Admittedly I haven't done any scaling on the shuttles/smaller craft.

If you have any other info, ideas etc please speak. :D

PLANETARY UNION

Space Dock............................................ 10860m
USS Orville-Exploratory Class...........................337m
USS Olympia-Leviathan Class Heavy Cruiser..........645m
USS Olympia-Unknown Class (Double Ring)...........215m-246m
Unknown-Intro Ship next to Orville
Unknown-(Ep1) Single Engine Ring
USS Bleriot -Transport

Tanker (Ep1)
Large Shuttle (Ep1)
Shuttle
Small Craft (Ep1)
Horizon-Pria's Mining Vessel

KRILL
Yakar-Destroyer...........................................1146m-1173m
Katov-Battle Cruiser Episode 6).........................2100m

Shuttle

MOCLAN
Warship......................................................500m Guess

DORAHL
Bio Ship

CALIVON
Patrol Ship

NAVARIANS
Warship
Fighter

BRUIDIANS
Warship
Fighter

BENZIAN (Future)
Tree Ship

Cheers

Marc
My Shapeways Shop
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/1/2500%2 ... e-products

Gallery
http://www.shapeways.com/designer/marcnoonan
If there's any model of anything you want that's not available anywhere.....send me a PM.

MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: The Orville Ships & Lengths

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:45 pm

Marc, this is an interesting read and you posit an interesting hypothesis on the size of the ship.

However, after reading through the blog, the bloggers direct comparison of the decks to the Voyager seem a little off. The door sizes and subsequent deck height would seem to indicate the Orville is nearly twice the size of the Voyager. But, admittedly, I could be wrong as I only did a precursory reading.

I would like to suggest that a better size estimator would be to build a supposition from the Bridge shot in the Pilot episode. When the Orville is pulling out of spacedock, we are clearly shown the size of the bridge through the top glass in the Orville. Adding factors such as average height of a human male, apparent height of the ceiling in the bridge, the number of steps it takes for Captain Mercer to cross the bridge, etc. may perhaps give a clearer understanding of the size of the ship.

Another factor to consider is that the Orville may suffer from the TARDIS Effect, similar to The Doctor's ship, and is an aliment that is suffered by the NSEA Protector from Galaxy Quest; i.e. the Shuttle bay on the Protector was much larger than should have been possible on the supposed size of the ship.

But, as this is all in fun and is an exercise that we nerds MUST undertake, I salute you and look forward to more posts on this subject!

LLAP!

Steve
Last edited by MSgtUSAFRet on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:04 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:Marc, this is an interesting read and you posit an interesting hypothesis on the size of the ship.

However, after reading through the blog, the bloggers direct comparison of the decks to the Voyager seem a little off. The door sizes and subsequent desk height would seem to indicate the Orville is nearly twice the size of the Voyager. But, admittedly, I could be wrong as I only did a precursory reading.

I would like to suggest that a better size estimator would be to build a supposition from the Bridge shot in the Pilot episode. When the Orville is pulling out of spacedock, we are clearly shown the size of the bridge through the top glass in the Orville. Adding factors such as average height of a human male, apparent height of the ceiling in the bridge, the number of steps it takes for Captain Mercer to cross the bridge, etc. may perhaps give a clearer understanding of the size of the ship.

Another factor to consider is that the Orville may suffer from the TARDIS Effect, similar to The Doctor's ship, and is an aliment that is suffered by the NSEA Protector from Galaxy Quest; i.e. the Shuttle bay on the Protector was much larger than should have been possible on the supposed size of the ship.

But, as this is all in fun and is an exercise that we nerds MUST undertake, I salute you and look forward to more posts on this subject!

LLAP!

Steve
Not to stray too far OT but the same TARDIS effect holds true for the Waverider from DC Legends of Tomorrow.
It seems little, if any, consideration is ever given to exterior size versus interior volume inconsistencies by those who design the sets for sci-fi shows. This goes way back to Irwin Allen's days of course so nothing new.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:02 am

Tom Cobet Space Cadet. Teeny tiny outside, roomy inside.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

marcnoonan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by marcnoonan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:03 am

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:Marc, this is an interesting read and you posit an interesting hypothesis on the size of the ship.

However, after reading through the blog, the bloggers direct comparison of the decks to the Voyager seem a little off. The door sizes and subsequent deck height would seem to indicate the Orville is nearly twice the size of the Voyager. But, admittedly, I could be wrong as I only did a precursory reading.

LLAP!

Steve
I'll have to leave that to a pixel counter, but hopefully they've been holding off on merchandising until they know the show is popular enough and we'll get an official model with scale (1/2500 please) and then the size of the Olympia's can then just be re-worked.

Marc
My Shapeways Shop
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/1/2500%2 ... e-products

Gallery
http://www.shapeways.com/designer/marcnoonan
If there's any model of anything you want that's not available anywhere.....send me a PM.

MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:24 am

marcnoonan wrote:1/2500 please
No way. 1:537! ;)
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )

TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:09 am

Although 1/2500 is my favoured scale (for fleet building at least) in the circumstances I would be quite happy with a 1/1000 kit of the Orville. For me, 1/537 would be too large.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:35 pm

Almost everything sci fi suffers from the TARDIS effect. Even the TOS shuttlecraft had it. I'll give credit to the producers of Doctor Who. At least they were upfront/honest/realistic when they came up with their idea of "t's bigger on the inside."

I'll wait until I hear the official dimensions for the Orville before I pounce on a kit
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Off Topic”