Spindrift from Land of the Giants by Polar Lights

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: Spindrift from Land of the Giants by Polar Lights

Post by trekriffic » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:22 pm

Masking the window ports before making sure she was clean and dust free I readied her for her final gloss coats to seal the decals...

Spindrift Decal Sealing by trekriffic, on Flickr

Nice stern glossiness:

And the beauty shot:

I'm after more of a satin finish though so she'll get a single shot of Dullcote to bring down the shine.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: Spindrift from Land of the Giants by Polar Lights

Post by trekriffic » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:58 am

So after applying a few shots of Model Master Semi-Gloss Clear, I let the model cure for a day; then I attached the Spindrift to her aluminum display tube...

First I fed the electrical wires from the hole in the underside of the ship thru the mounting tube:

Feeding the Wires by trekriffic, on Flickr

The hole in the underside is actually composed of a short piece of Evergreen plastic tubing glued into the hole flush to the surface of the model. The styrene tube collar glued with CA to the top of the metal tube will glue to the styrene tube in the model using Testors model cement.

After smearing Testors tube glue inside the model's ventral mounting tube I slid the display tube into the opening nice and snug before placing the assembly into my Panavise for the glue to cure:

Spindrift with Aluminum Display Tube by trekriffic, on Flickr

Anyone notice I re-masked the windows? I didn't want any of the clearcoats getting on the clear window plastic you see.

Here I am holding my little beauty in hand after the glue has dried. I gave her a few stress tests to make sure the glue was holding. No problems were encountered as this was basically a styrene to styrene weld joint. Rock solid :

Spindrift in Hand by trekriffic, on Flickr

Next step is feeding the wires into the wooden base then epoxying the tube in the model onto the next smaller diameter tube in the base.Then it will be time to solder the wires to the power jack and the two slide switches.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “Off Topic”