It looks like I may be wrong

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

It looks like I may be wrong

Post by el gato » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:11 pm

In some thread where I lamented the non-celebration of Star Trek's 50th anniversary last year, I predicted that in 2017 Disney was going to show Paramount how to celebrate an anniversary properly. After all, this year is Star Wars' 40th anniversary. Here we are in the second half of October and... nothing. Other than the usual marketing for The Last Jedi (which Mrs Gato notes has been under-promoted), there are few signs that this is a landmark year for SW. Thoughts?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: It looks like I may be wrong

Post by kobayashimaru » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 pm

true el gato, i recall the thread you allude to.

there's been less Warsian celebration (pun unintentional - they named a series of conventions as 'celebration' haha)
than I had anticipated in officialdom. However, if you look at what they have planned for EPCOT,
and the big 50 for Wars (2027), I think there'll be a big shindig happening for that.
there'll be fireworks, there'll be panels, there'll be a matinee, maybe some tie-in merch. it'll be great.
this 40th has certainly be downplayed though. I can allude to theories as to the why of that elsewhere.

locally in AUS, there have been cineplexes playing matinees of 1 through 6 (some, to 7)
this is a cine-visual marathon - most folks will come to watch one or two, not the entire run.
even with theatrical cut, it's nearly 25hours or so...
some folks wear costumes to these events, it's a little like other 'cult movies' such as
Rocky Horror Picture Show, or The Room etc...

you can make donations at the door, with proceeds going to scholarships for STEM (rotary pay-it-forward bursaries/scholarships I believe) or, to things like Starlight Foundation.
i think that is a brilliant idea on a lot of levels!

it ought be noted that, this is ostensibly more than what transpired for the Trek-versary,
which had a couple of TOS episodes, TWoK, a couple of TNG episodes, then nuTrek:IntoDarkness.
or the Doctor Who anniversary matinee;
they had an orchestra play, then Sylvester McCoy side panel, then the special, then a couple of other episodes.

at conventions this year, such as Supanova, SciFi on the Coast, NSSA at the adelaide space conference etc,
the 40th has been mentioned, but there hasn't been as many landmark events.

G L held a few impromptu events and reunions at 'the ranch.
there was a lot of reflecting on what technically went into making the films,
and some rarely seen animatic stills, props and notes,
which was awesome.

-----
I think there's a few factors -
i) franchise fatigue?
ii) not a 50 or 100 'major' milestone,
iii) lack of interest to coordinate etc.

whatever the cause, it ostensibly seems a missed opportunity on some level somehow.
thanks for reading.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: It looks like I may be wrong

Post by el gato » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:37 am

You make a good point, Koba. It might be that fans of a "certain age" have a hankering for conventio-con-expo-fest-a-ramas but the studios have other economic data that fans actually say that they really don't
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Off Topic”