anyone in here do their own metal spin casting?

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.

would you buy metal cast items

YES, i would buy metal min's and parts
100%
NO, i would not buy metal min's and parts
No votes

Total votes: 2

OdysseySlipways
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

anyone in here do their own metal spin casting?

Post by OdysseySlipways » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:01 pm

looking to see if anyone in here does their own metal spin casting?

i plan on starting this spring doing a lot of my smaller stuff in lead-free pewter and either cut back or stop casting them in resin. i will be making mini details such as antennas, dishes (radar, radio ... not the ones you eat from) and other bits.

but in the mean time i am looking for DIY spin/centrifugal tables. there use to be a good bit on the web but now i'm finding refurbished/new equipment or something that looks like a astronaut should be strapped into

i am also posting a poll....

MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: anyone in here do their own metal spin casting?

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Chris,

No, I don't do any spin casting but, after 15 years in the Dental Laboratory making precious metal crown and bridge appliances, I know exactly what you are wanting to do! The Broken Arm centrifugal casting machine in appropriately named!

So, I found one video on spin casting in pewter. Do you intend to heat the metal in a furnace of some sort or by a blow torch? Do you plan to invest the parts in a casting ring, then heat the ring and cast it? Or are you thinking of making and using silicone molds?

If you cast radar dishes and the like, how would you recommend putting them on a resin/styrene model?

Very interesting topic!

Thanks for opening it up!

Steve

OdysseySlipways
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: anyone in here do their own metal spin casting?

Post by OdysseySlipways » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:24 pm

I know exactly what you are wanting to do!
really? i'm still trying to figure out how to do it well
The Broken Arm centrifugal casting machine in appropriately named!
at first i had no need to even look at this, but now as i may do some steam train boilers (HO scale) and a few sci-fi ones my thoughts have started to change and may consider make one of these types
Do you intend to heat the metal in a furnace of some sort or by a blow torch?
smelter/furnace
Do you plan to invest the parts in a casting ring, then heat the ring and cast it? Or are you thinking of making and using silicone molds?
not quite sure i understand the first part.

as these parts will be low temp melts (for now anyways) i'll be using Mold Max 60(i forget now but have it written down somewhere....)
If you cast radar dishes and the like, how would you recommend putting them on a resin/styrene model?
i only know of superglue but i'm sure others would know something better

Return to “Off Topic”